Tell me my Type | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Tell me my Type

@CindyLou - you've got too much of a spunky presence to be an S type :tonguewink: and @Sriracha doesn't count because she's an honorary infj :sunglasses:

I've not had the chance to interact with you so I'm only going on some of the posts I've read. My unconventional gut response is to say that you're an ambivert (does such a thing exist?) - so infj, enfj and also playing around with infp and intj.

Quite keen to know how you got on with the 16personalities questionnaire that Gist posted.

https://www.16personalities.com/

I've taken that test quite a few times. I've always gotten INFJ or INFP. I also think INFJ/ENFJ is the most likely still at this point, like you said. :) I like ambivert too. I can't be pinned down! ;)

INTJ??? Whaaaaaat? ;)

Just for what it's worth, @CindyLou, I don't have any view on if you're S or N (I'm very happy to back-and-forth with you based on how you see yourself), but for overall information, Jung's view of S-N was quite different from the one measured by the MBTI test -- for instance, to him, the archetypal scientist is a sensation/thinking type, because sensation was one's connection to the tangible world. Sensation-thinking is supposed to be classically empirical, whereas Intuitive-thinking is more speculative.

I could see a lot of NT types in the MBTI test's framework (which is more Big 5-ish than Jungian) being what Jung would call sensation+thinking types. The reason is that N in the MBTI is more related to Big 5 Openness: it's possible to be unconventional, prefer theories to facts/figures, like discovering the new over the old (they could be new sensations, not new intuitions) while being what Jung would call a sensation-thinking type.

The view that Si has to do with comparing with the past is standard in Berens/Nardi stuff (seeing how things were vs how they are, and so on), but really in Jungian systems, Si was simply the subjective perspective on sensation. I mean, philosophically here's how I think of it: sensation tells you stuff about external objects you can interact with, but from another perspective, sensations are something only you can access: nobody else knows how you see a strawberry's redness but yourself. When you present a logical description of its properties it's abstracted away from your experience. But the fact is sensation has an experiential component, which is deeply subjective. I personally think the views that say it has to be past-oriented are mistaken; there's no reason Si can't be as present-oriented as Se, apart from the fact that it's true your subjective impressions of a sensation do build upon past experiences. But frankly, that's true of every function: what logical connections you draw often are dependent on what you've done before -- that's how humans learn!!
I don't see why remembering prior logical facts you've learned has to be Si, it can just be part of Te or whatever.

Regarding Si being mistaken as intuitive: in general, my view is that all irrational functions are what we would call intuitive. That is, they're more impressionistic than coherent judgments. They tell us how things appear, before we then decide to characterize them more precisely (which can involve choosing an axiomatic framework and other peculiarities, or a cultural framework to value-judge, or whatever.) They consist of the basic raw material out of which we synthesize our knowledge. I think the thing is just that our impressionistic knowledge is sourced both in how our mind fundamentally creates schemata with which to build ideas and from data that arises from the tangible world.
When we see a ball roll down an inclined plane, that is an impressionistic intuition which can then be logically abstracted into equations about friction, etc. The mystery that the math works to describe the physical world is sort of the difference between sensation and logic.

Usually the difference is that intuitive types seem to focus more on possible such schemata, vs the sensation types (again, from my interpretation of a functions-y point of view) can be equally curious for new ideas, but for ones sourced more directly in reality.
The latter can secondarily employ the former, but the question is somehow on the focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: CindyLou
I've taken that test quite a few times. I've always gotten INFJ or INFP. I also think INFJ/ENFJ is the most likely still at this point, like you said. :) I like ambivert too. I can't be pinned down! ;)

INTJ??? Whaaaaaat? ;)

INTJ - hehe - it was a red herring. Seriously though, I do think you have a good balance of Te and Ti going on. :smile:

Ni for me (if that is what I understand it to be, so maybe Si, or whatever) is seeing the future, or various scenarios playing out. I’m usually right, or at least I don’t remember when I’m wrong lol. Quickly and simply: I’ll be in a situation and I’ll get like, a..hunch or knowing, a feeling of something. I don't know what to call it. That feeling is me knowing what is going to happen and it does happen. I already know it will. It gives me comfort, usually. When it doesn’t give me comfort or if I get anxiety or something then I imagine various scenarios that could happen but usually there is one that I know is going to happen. When I do picture the future I see it in my mind and it’s not anything that’s real. I’ve made it up, everything in it comes from something I haven’t seen before. It ends up being true though in reality in the future in more normal surroundings. If that was Si wouldn’t I just use familiar things that I see in the everyday to visualize things? I don’t know.

It’s hard to describe Ni (if that’s what I understand it to be) because Fe is so…loud. I am very aware of it. I'm silly with Fe because I’m doing things I predict other people might want me to do, or what I think they want me to be and I’ll play out an entire future or different scenarios based off what they want and actually start acting in that manner towards it never considering what I want. It's all automatic. I don't even have a chance to think about it. It just vomits itself out all over the place. It's my default.

My Se (if that is what I understand it to be) is broken. I do not know how to live in the present moment. I wish I could do that more often because I don’t really enjoy not being able to experience things like other people do and I can get lost sometimes in familiar places. I have sensory issues and get overstimulated very easily. Sex is one way I can experience the present. If it’s good I’ve been known to hallucinate and see firework like explosions of color. I don’t even know if you can call that the present. So yeah, I’m pretty much crazy.

What are some sample scenarios you envision the future of? What are your motives for envisioning them? One thing I realized is that "hunches" shouldn't be exclusively N -- I actually think all irrational cognition is impressionistic and somewhat unconsciously generated. I definitely think Si-doms can get things that are like hunches. For example, spot by way of a hunch that someone is lying. They may be gathering all sorts of data, but the impression of there being something wrong may present itself before a rational justification exists.

You might possibly be surprised that predicting what others want you to do isn't something that leans me to a functions-y N or S. The reason is this: consider a farmer who deals near exclusively with sensory data, not much into stuff that has a purely-mental existence. He may be very willing to predict the future of his crops based on his sense impressions. There's no reason he's prioritizing intuition, because his futuristic predictions still are rooted in the tangible and still about the tangible fundamentally...they aren't, somehow, with a significant transformative component and are instead about the factual future.
It does require a little N in order to even envision the future, something that hasn't happened, but it may be mild N mostly subordinate to S's motives.
A scientist has to envision possibilities to create theories about things that haven't yet been discovered, yet Jung still would say the classic scientist is an ST type.

I'm convinced you're probably an MBTI N, by the way, in the dichotomies sense -- it's rare someone keeps testing N and relates and isn't one. But then, have you watched BBC Sherlock? He's probably a classic N in the dichotomies (unconventional, creative, does things his own way, doesn't care about the usual facts everyone knows like earth going around sun) but to me a very clear T+S type in a more functions-y framework.

I don't have much of a lean either way quite yet. Of course you're free to say you'll go with a more Big 5 interpretation than a Jungian interpretation :) in that, you're most likely an N and the matter would be closed.

Last edited:
What/Who am I? :tired: FWIW I have tested INFJ for 10 years. When will I grow up? What do you think I am?

@ruji :p

It sounds like you know you're an INFJ. You don't need the rest of us to invite you to the club. You're a tortured soul... embrace it. I see a few others in this thread posted https://www.16personalities.com/. As long as your answers accurately reflect you, you shouldn't get mistyped there. They tell you to try to avoid neutral answers.