Superstitions

Persona

Community Member
Dec 10, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any superstitions they'd like to share?
I personally don't have any deeply held superstitions, but I've always had a thing
going on with clothing. If I wear a hoodie and good things happened to me while
wearing that hoodie, whenever I want good things to happen, I'd wear that hoodie
again. But not to the point of wearing it everyday expecting unrealistic results.

I do know of other people with superstitions though.

I have a really religious muslim friend who has a superstition with cars.
He believes that seeing 3 black cars in a row will lead to a good day,
4 black cars will be a great day, and 5 will be out of this world amazing.
If he sees 3 white cars in a row, he says it'll be a bad day for him,
4 will be even worst, and 5 he might as well just off a cliff.
And if he sees 3 red cars in a row, danger is coming his way!
(So out of curiosity, I asked him, "why just not look at the cars"?
and he stated he can't because he deeply believes in this lol and
it helps him predict what type of day it'll be for him.)
So then I started asking what happens if you have a great day
when you weren't suppose to? And he stated that never happens,
and to trust him.
But how can you have a great day if what you predicted was pessimistic
and you're destined to live up to it? Haha but I respect his views.

On the other hand, my grandmother believes that any glass that breaks or
cracks throughout the house will reflect bad luck, and should be disposed of immediately.

My mom believes that when moving to a new house, burning incenses will
get rid of bad spirits, and negative energy.

A good friend of mine believes that if a bird shits on you, or anything
you own, good luck and riches will be coming your way.

Another friend of mine believes that if either one of your nipples are itching,
that the person you were last intimate with is thinking about you sexually, or
your soul mate is nearby. And by breaking a wishbone while making a wish, if
it comes out evenly, your wish will come true.

So my question is does anyone else have superstitions or know people with them?

I'm superstitious in thinking that if you keep trying to talk sense with some people, they might start talking sense back.

Never works.

I'm superstitious in thinking that if you keep trying to talk sense with some people, they might start talking sense back.

Never works.

Maybe one day you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I can't think of anything I do that's superstitious.

We have the whole bird shit thing in my family too. Also, placing a glass of water at your bedside while sleeping. Not to drink, but to absorb all the negative energy you apparently emit while sleeping. In the morning you're supposed to dump it over the soil of a living plant to be rid of it.

I don't do it, but my ancient grandmother never fails to remind me that by not doing it, I'm letting the negative spirits roam my house, which cause things from leaky faucets to nightmares.

Reactions: Free
We have the whole bird shit thing in my family too. Also, placing a glass of water at your bedside while sleeping. Not to drink, but to absorb all the negative energy you apparently emit while sleeping. In the morning you're supposed to dump it over the soil of a living plant to be rid of it.

I don't do it, but my ancient grandmother never fails to remind me that by not doing it, I'm letting the negative spirits roam my house, which cause things from leaky faucets to nightmares.

Strangely enough, I've always brought a glass of water to lay beside my bed, reading for like half an hour, then proceeding to drink it only after it becomes room temperature. Sometimes I fall asleep forgetting it, but what's strange is I've always felt better as you described doing this for whatever reason, and in the morning if I had forgotten it, I'd pour it out. Never correlated what you described to superstitions, but I've been doing it for years and it feels great. Lol.

(I guess what they say about the INFJ being a old/reincarnated soul is true, haha)

No, I'm not superstitious at all. But when a lot of things go wrong in my life, I tend to develop bizarre theories about why so many things go wrong in my life, and I almost believe my theories. But then I realise I'm just being paranoid and I tell myself to suck it up and get on with things.

Some of my favourite one-liners that i live by:

Superstitious people are unlucky
Fortune favours the bold
Always expect something wonderful to happen

There are things that i do that some people may see as superstitious, although i do not perceive it as such.

Having a strong personal experience of synchronicity, i take personal responsibility for my thoughts and actions, and i believe there is a reason for everything that happens to me. I don't believe in random occurrence, fluke or coincidence. I don't believe in bad luck, evil, punishment, or chance or wrong place at the wrong time...but i acknowledge that those thing can be real for other people and their experience. The inner world is always directing the outer, and that is crystal clear to me in my own life and experience....although this does not necessarily make it any easier for me to direct my experience at times or understand my situation and circumstances....and i still feel powerless and confused at times. Intention- what i give through my focused energy, time, Will, and resources is far more important to me than any other factor, or what anyone else is doing. I am the writer, director, actor, observer, critic and editor in my life....although there is much i can misunderstand at times, and things always seem much clearer in hindsight.

I intrinsically have faith in the integrity of being, of life, my experience, and my Self. I believe that i am interconnected with the Earth, and that being a part of the Earth, everything communicates with me if only i stop to listen. I believe that i am in a friendship with the Earth. So i do pay a lot of attention to what is going on around me, and things that stand out to me, or affect me in some way, or repetitive occurrences - i see these as meaningful and significant. I pay a lot of attention to my dreams, visions and intuition, thoughts and feelings. Because i see the outer world as a reflection of the inner, i feel the outer can communicate to me the truth of my private psychological and emotional inner experience. I do believe that experiences and objects have symbolic significance and value that can inform me about my experience and what i am in the process of manifesting/creating. I have used different forms of earth magic and ritual at times in my life, and i do find these things comforting...but i do not believe that the ritual or practice has any power in itself except what power i have given/imbued it with through the strength of my intention. All magic is about directing and focusing intention. I pray regularly, about anything and everything....i see prayer as a deep and focused communion with the Self. I do see certain events and situations as omens or as guiding posts. I don't feel lonely in my experience, i feel like everything around me is communicating and has value....and what i notice is what i value
Ultimately, i believe that i choose my experience....and that my life is my own. I do not believe that any object or ritual can have any power except what power we give to it through the strength and focus of our intention and commitment. We can use practices to strengthen our intentions. But the power comes from the mind, will power, connection, commitment, purpose, action....not though any wands or potions or gods or idols or objects or rituals or anyone or anything else

I'm not superstitious at all, but much like [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] describes, I develop theories when connecting the dots on why things happen. However, my mother is Latina, and as I've said before, they are most superstitious people I've ever known, lol. [MENTION=13723]Misadventure[/MENTION] 's glass of water, yeah, same thing here lol. Another one of hers is when you leave the house and have forgotten something that you needed, you can't go back for it, otherwise you have bad luck. Which never made any sense at all to me, lol. What if it were my purse, my car keys or keys for work? What if it were that huge stack of paperwork I spent all night doing to it gets turned in on time? Makes no sense to me but she swears by it.

Some more are to eat lentils on New Year's Eve, wear red panties on New Year's Day. Don't kill spiders in the house- trap and release them in the garden- OR ELSE. Don't sleep under an open window even on the hottest of summer nights- OR ELSE. Don't spill salt, if you do, throw a dash over your left shoulder- OR ELSE. Don't walk under a ladder- OR ELSE. Give thanks daily to the universe- OR ELSE. Before you pour a glass of wine from a fresh opened bottle, spill a bit on the ground to honor your ancestors- OR ELSE. Don't oversleep- or else you get pimples. If a bird enters your home, you'll soon have a visitor coming. Open a window when someone dies. Don't let the dead hear you cry (like at a funeral). Don't take an old broom with you when you move, buy a new one. Lot's of sweeping one's actually that range anywhere from sweeping out negative energy to laying a broom next to your bed will prevent sex. So many to choose from.

My husband's grandmother is full-blooded Cherokee. There are a lot there as well. The number 7 which represents the seven clans of the Cherokee. Owls are the bearer's of bad news and/or a warning that something bad is going to happen. Nature, of course, is extremely important to them. Trees like cedar, pine, spruce, laurel and holly have very special powers and are revered for life giving benefits as well as appeasing the nature spirits. If you ever cut one down, all hell will break loose. And also, to improve your connection with nature or to bring peace to an area, plant one of these trees- cedar being the best for this. Always honor the ancestors by giving little offerings every day. These can be in ways like feeding the birds, planting a garden with lavender, burning sage to cleanse the negative energy.

Though some may seem absurd, I do revere them, even in their silliest forms, simply because I believe they are the last remaining tid-bits of a culture's verbal history. The Old Wives Tales and folklore that have been passed down through the ages, the stuff of myth and legend. I completely respect superstitions, if not believing in them, for those reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Misadventure
[MENTION=4956]charlene[/MENTION]
Very well said, and beautiful to the core.
I can relate to what you said 100%.

I'm not superstitious at all, but much like @invisible describes, I develop theories when connecting the dots on why things happen. However, my mother is Latina, and as I've said before, they are most superstitious people I've ever known, lol. @Misadventure 's glass of water, yeah, same thing here lol. Another one of hers is when you leave the house and have forgotten something that you needed, you can't go back for it, otherwise you have bad luck. Which never made any sense at all to me, lol. What if it were my purse, my car keys or keys for work? What if it were that huge stack of paperwork I spent all night doing to it gets turned in on time? Makes no sense to me but she swears by it.

Some more are to eat lentils on New Year's Eve, wear red panties on New Year's Day. Don't kill spiders in the house- trap and release them in the garden- OR ELSE. Don't sleep under an open window even on the hottest of summer nights- OR ELSE. Don't spill salt, if you do, throw a dash over your left shoulder- OR ELSE. Don't walk under a ladder- OR ELSE. Give thanks daily to the universe- OR ELSE. Before you pour a glass of wine from a fresh opened bottle, spill a bit on the ground to honor your ancestors- OR ELSE. Don't oversleep- or else you get pimples. If a bird enters your home, you'll soon have a visitor coming. Open a window when someone dies. Don't let the dead hear you cry (like at a funeral). Don't take an old broom with you when you move, buy a new one. Lot's of sweeping one's actually that range anywhere from sweeping out negative energy to laying a broom next to your bed will prevent sex. So many to choose from.

My husband's grandmother is full-blooded Cherokee. There are a lot there as well. The number 7 which represents the seven clans of the Cherokee. Owls are the bearer's of bad news and/or a warning that something bad is going to happen. Nature, of course, is extremely important to them. Trees like cedar, pine, spruce, laurel and holly have very special powers and are revered for life giving benefits as well as appeasing the nature spirits. If you ever cut one down, all hell will break loose. And also, to improve your connection with nature or to bring peace to an area, plant one of these trees- cedar being the best for this. Always honor the ancestors by giving little offerings every day. These can be in ways like feeding the birds, planting a garden with lavender, burning sage to cleanse the negative energy.

Though some may seem absurd, I do revere them, even in their silliest forms, simply because I believe they are the last remaining tid-bits of a culture's verbal history. The Old Wives Tales and folklore that have been passed down through the ages, the stuff of myth and legend. I completely respect superstitions, if not believing in them, for those reasons.

Wow very interesting haha. I love hearing about the cultural diversities which you brought up! I do as well highly respect people with deep spiritual superstitions, as it's an interesting way to see how someone else perceives their lives. Makes me almost want to try some myself! But hmmmmmm fill me in on the red panties one :nod: (had to)

Not sure if it is more mild OCD stuff or superstitions or both. I don't like walking on the handicapped pavement markings in parking lots because I feel it's somehow not respectful to handicapped people (ack, I know, makes no sense!). I in general don't like walking on pavement cracks because it feels like bad luck. Some produce in stores feels like it has (oh this painful to admit!) bad energy, so I have to put it back and grope around for more "positive" feeling melons and tomatoes. If I find money on the ground and there is pretty much zero chance of finding the actual owner, I still stick it somewhere prominent and tamp it down with a rock not because I am such a good person, but because I feel like taking it for myself would be bad karma. However, this doesn't apply to coins, which I will pick up, especially pennies, because these might be good luck. I never write my name on a test before completion because it feels like counting my chickens before they hatch (yeah, that one really makes sense!). If I find a four leaf clover, I keep it in my bra until it is crumbles or gets lost. Then I feel mildly upset. I really don't like broken mirrors, and am only recently feeling okay about black cats crossing my path. I throw salt over my left shoulder before road trips because I don't want the devil following. I was going to mention here that I don't even believe in the devil...but then it occurred to me that this might be bad luck and would invite the devil into my life. What can I say?! I've learned to accept the number 13 because it won't get out of my life. I console myself that Niels Bohr kept a horse shoe over his door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet
images
[MENTION=13730]PintoBean[/MENTION]

Reactions: #@&5&49
I believe in psychic abilities and our minds ability to heal our bodies. I'm not sure if those things are considered superstitious.

Superstitious that if I speak my fears, they will come true. So I don't talk about what's bothering me. Healthy!

Reactions: PintoBean
I believe in psychic abilities and our minds ability to heal our bodies. I'm not sure if those things are considered superstitious.

I also kind of believe that the mind has power to heal. In some cases, that is, or to some degree. I think it has to do with willpower and stress reduction.

Not sure if it is more mild OCD stuff or superstitions or both. I don't like walking on the handicapped pavement markings in parking lots because I feel it's somehow not respectful to handicapped people (ack, I know, makes no sense!). I in general don't like walking on pavement cracks because it feels like bad luck. Some produce in stores feels like it has (oh this painful to admit!) bad energy, so I have to put it back and grope around for more "positive" feeling melons and tomatoes. If I find money on the ground and there is pretty much zero chance of finding the actual owner, I still stick it somewhere prominent and tamp it down with a rock not because I am such a good person, but because I feel like taking it for myself would be bad karma. However, this doesn't apply to coins, which I will pick up, especially pennies, because these might be good luck. I never write my name on a test before completion because it feels like counting my chickens before they hatch (yeah, that one really makes sense!). If I find a four leaf clover, I keep it in my bra until it is crumbles or gets lost. Then I feel mildly upset. I really don't like broken mirrors, and am only recently feeling okay about black cats crossing my path. I throw salt over my left shoulder before road trips because I don't want the devil following. I was going to mention here that I don't even believe in the devil...but then it occurred to me that this might be bad luck and would invite the devil into my life. What can I say?! I've learned to accept the number 13 because it won't get out of my life. I console myself that Niels Bohr kept a horse shoe over his door.
Arghhhh. [MENTION=13730]PintoBean[/MENTION] gropes around for positive feeling mellons!

Superstitious that if I speak my fears, they will come true. So I don't talk about what's bothering me. Healthy!
Don't say Beetlejuice too many times. (Didn't watch the movie, so I don't know if I used that reference correctly).

Reactions: PintoBean
Don't say Beetlejuice too many times. (Didn't watch the movie, so I don't know if I used that reference correctly).
Except Beetlejuice is amazing and not scary at all! I had the biggest weirdest crush on Beetlejuice when I was a kid.