Sugar/Sweets Addiction | INFJ Forum

Sugar/Sweets Addiction

mochi

Permanent Fixture
Mar 20, 2011
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
I'm trying to cut back. Is anyone else trying this? :)

Yesterday was my first day of abstaining from sugar. It is extremely difficult, so much so that I realize I am extremely desensitized to it. An addiction to sugar seems to be a general phenomenon among the general public.

My dad and grandparents both have Diabetes and to be honest, eating large amounts of lollipops and soda everyday is starting to scare me.

I am cutting back on candy, and abstaining from soda. I am also diluting sugary fruit juice with water.

Thoughts/any tips for the process?

GOD I WANT A MARSHMALLOW. D:

Reactions: slant and Faye
Reactions: slant
I cut out everything sugary including all bread and bread like things. For me it was a slow process, I didn't do it cold turkey. It started with cutting out sugars that came from things like chocolate. Then after that I started lowering my intake of breads/pasta. I would limit myself to two pieces of toast in a day for my breakfast. After that, I switched out the bread for low carb wraps.

At first I was eating sugar because I thought that I wanted the taste of it and I felt that I deserved a "treat." Then I had a switch go off in my mind that all of the candies and chocolates are just dressed up in bright colours to attract people to eating them and somehow that didn't sit well for me. I also didn't like the sugar crashes I would experience, the anxiety that would come from having elevated blood sugar and didn't like the mental clarity that I seemed to be lacking because I was eating empty calories instead of eating only what my body needed.

So sugar addiciton, in my opinion isn't just the body being used to having sugar, but it's also the mental associations that we make with it. A lot of people will eat it while it's there because it might not be later. We have a habit of wanting to indulge and get this idea in our head that if we break free from eating poorly that we'll never be able to indulge again... The funny thing about it is that after you don't have sugar for a while you don't really want it.

Right now what keeps me from over indulging is that I buy one bar of dark chocolate a week. I find that it will last me over several days and I don't really desire to have anything else. I also eat all natural peanut butter which is very low in sugar and having that actually curbs cravings, too.

I found that for me after two weeks of not having any sugar at all I didn't even think twice about it and had no desire to eat it at all.

Hang in there it will get easier in a few days.

Back in October, I cut out sugar in all forms and dropped 12 lbs in about 6 weeks from doing that alone.
It was a bitch at first. I had withdrawals. That damn candy machine in the company lunchroom and it's siren song. Calling to me every afternoon.
While I am not 100% abstaining from sugar anymore, I am still limiting my intake, and feel like I have more energy. My blood sugar isn't spiking and dropping over and over throughout the day.
I believe it is an addictive substance.
I have found that sugar free candy isn't as god awful as it once was, and once used to it, it's not so bad and helps me get over those cravings.

Reactions: slant and mochi
I cut out everything sugary including all bread and bread like things. For me it was a slow process, I didn't do it cold turkey. It started with cutting out sugars that came from things like chocolate. Then after that I started lowering my intake of breads/pasta. I would limit myself to two pieces of toast in a day for my breakfast. After that, I switched out the bread for low carb wraps.

That's a great idea. I eventually want to cut off pasta and bread too, but wasn't sure how to do it.

At first I was eating sugar because I thought that I wanted the taste of it and I felt that I deserved a "treat." Then I had a switch go off in my mind that all of the candies and chocolates are just dressed up in bright colours to attract people to eating them and somehow that didn't sit well for me. I also didn't like the sugar crashes I would experience, the anxiety that would come from having elevated blood sugar and didn't like the mental clarity that I seemed to be lacking because I was eating empty calories instead of eating only what my body needed.

So sugar addiciton, in my opinion isn't just the body being used to having sugar, but it's also the mental associations that we make with it. A lot of people will eat it while it's there because it might not be later. We have a habit of wanting to indulge and get this idea in our head that if we break free from eating poorly that we'll never be able to indulge again... The funny thing about it is that after you don't have sugar for a while you don't really want it.

Right now what keeps me from over indulging is that I buy one bar of dark chocolate a week. I find that it will last me over several days and I don't really desire to have anything else. I also eat all natural peanut butter which is very low in sugar and having that actually curbs cravings, too.

I found that for me after two weeks of not having any sugar at all I didn't even think twice about it and had no desire to eat it at all.

Right on. I definitely think a bit part of it is psychological. I eat candy/junk to feel good, not because I'm hungry. The chocolate bar is a good idea. I'm looking forward to when I do this long enough I don't want sugary things anymore. :3

Hang in there it will get easier in a few days.

Back in October, I cut out sugar in all forms and dropped 12 lbs in about 6 weeks from doing that alone.
It was a bitch at first. I had withdrawals. That damn candy machine in the company lunchroom and it's siren song. Calling to me every afternoon.
While I am not 100% abstaining from sugar anymore, I am still limiting my intake, and feel like I have more energy. My blood sugar isn't spiking and dropping over and over throughout the day.
I believe it is an addictive substance.
I have found that sugar free candy isn't as god awful as it once was, and once used to it, it's not so bad and helps me get over those cravings.

It is a bee-atch. However, I do really want to feel independent from it. When I don't have my daily dose of junk, I lose all my energy. Hopefully I can get it naturally.

Smores are calling my name here, lol. Whyyy:mwaa:

Replace it with something you like.
Instead of a huge sundae I have Greek yogurt with honey and a lil whip cream and almond slivers. Stuff like that. I look at it as exchanging one food for another rather than abstaining. Work up a healthy excitement about fruit. And vegetables. Strawberries and pineapple drive me crazy. I'd rather eat them than chocolate.
It helps to research the health benefits of foods. Every time I eat a carrot I think, yay vitamin A!
The more sugar you eat the more you crave it. Cut down and wean yourself and in time you won't even care about sweets!

I just went cold turkey, wasn't really hard for me because I always prefer savory over sweet anyway, don't know what to tell ya D:. Eating bacon and eggs every morning is nice though.

Hm.. just keep reminding yourself to make healthy choices. Listen to your body and think about what it really needs/wants when you're hungry. If you really want something sweet, then have healthier forms of sweetness. Even a fruit smoothie that has some added sugar is better than a pecan chocolate ice cream shake or something. It doesn't have to be extreme. Also, if you are hungry, eat normal food more often instead of sweet food, and just wait a bit longer. Your body will take a bit longer to feel satisfied because it has to work harder to process the energy, but in the end it will feel better because a balanced meal will have more nutritional value.

Eventually you'll build up a distaste for too much sugar.

Replace it with something you like.
Instead of a huge sundae I have Greek yogurt with honey and a lil whip cream and almond slivers. Stuff like that. I look at it as exchanging one food for another rather than abstaining. Work up a healthy excitement about fruit. And vegetables. Strawberries and pineapple drive me crazy. I'd rather eat them than chocolate.
It helps to research the health benefits of foods. Every time I eat a carrot I think, yay vitamin A!
The more sugar you eat the more you crave it. Cut down and wean yourself and in time you won't even care about sweets!

Thanks for your input. :3 I've been hearing so many good things about Greek Yogurt that I'll definitely give it a go. I've just had a handful of raspberries to quench my sweet craving.

Hm.. just keep reminding yourself to make healthy choices. Listen to your body and think about what it really needs/wants when you're hungry. If you really want something sweet, then have healthier forms of sweetness. Even a fruit smoothie that has some added sugar is better than a pecan chocolate ice cream shake or something. It doesn't have to be extreme. Also, if you are hungry, eat normal food more often instead of sweet food, and just wait a bit longer. Your body will take a bit longer to feel satisfied because it has to work harder to process the energy, but in the end it will feel better because a balanced meal will have more nutritional value.

Good advice :3 I was feeling super hungry today and started eating more meals (healthy). I also tend to replace regular meals with sugar so I am getting a good balance now.

I just went cold turkey, wasn't really hard for me because I always prefer savory over sweet anyway, don't know what to tell ya D:. Eating bacon and eggs every morning is nice though.

Lol, I see. :p I'm so jelly of you, I'm a diehard sugar person. Bacon does sound goooooood though. :3

@mochi Ahhh raspberries are the best!!

If I eat too much sugar I start to feel like crap. It's a drowsy and gross feeling.
Of course it doesn't always stop me from eating as much cheesecake I can when it's in the room...
or baklava... but I find I do have to look at some foods and remind myself how awful I will feel to eat them.

I really relate to this, my dad has diabetes and I've been eating/drinking sweet things insanely over the past few weeks. Easter doesn't help, tons of chocolate in the store. I think it is a matter of will (Aleister Crowley in my head: 'Do what thou wilt, is the whole of the law.') [From the world's greatest magician, I'd honestly expect better advice :p] I'll work on limiting on my consumption of sugary things, and try to be more mindful that my fondness for sweets isn't everyone's fondness, but possibly much darker.

I'm trying to cut back. Is anyone else trying this? :)

Yesterday was my first day of abstaining from sugar. It is extremely difficult, so much so that I realize I am extremely desensitized to it. An addiction to sugar seems to be a general phenomenon among the general public.

My dad and grandparents both have Diabetes and to be honest, eating large amounts of lollipops and soda everyday is starting to scare me.

I am cutting back on candy, and abstaining from soda. I am also diluting sugary fruit juice with water.

Thoughts/any tips for the process?

GOD I WANT A MARSHMALLOW. D:

If you live in North America, you had better cut out eating bread as well. I never got used to how sugary your bread is, when I used to work there.

Additionally, there is berry/fruit that, when eaten, causes everything consequently eaten to taste very sweet. It is colloquially known as 'miracle fruit':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

One of the biggest sources of sugar in the American diet is milk - lactose. Cut the dairy out from your diet and eat as much of the other sugars as you like, you'd still be ahead of the game.

About a week ago I started doing this low carb thing. Which is a little more
extreme than what sandra was talking about and also more so than what
you're doing. However eating low-carbs I've realized means eating zero sugar.
Not even natural sugars in fruits. I don't have a sugar addiction but I realized
I loved carbs. I get done running now and I want to eat two hundred bagels
and an acre of carrots and I cannot do either. It's really difficult for me.
I was eating the other day and there was tapioca pudding. I hated every bite
of my broccoli because it wasn't that damn pudding. Yesterday it was my
birthday, no birthday cake, no dinner with family, no wild partying with lots
of booze and drunk eating. The hardest part of this is acclimating to no corn,
no carrots, no peas. I didn't realize going into this that I would not be able
to eat these things. The way I look at it is that it's good for me. This is obviously
not something I'm going to be doing long-term, but for the time being I am
doing it and it is good for me. I am not going to be weak-willed and ruin my
dedication and hard-work for a handful of carrots. The first day is hard. The
second day is hard. But every day it gets a little easier until you do not want
and when you do eat it you realize how uncomfortable it feels in your body.
How heavy it makes you feel.

I think it's good that you're cutting sugars out Mochi but I wouldn't worry about
natural sugars in fruits. As far as all the sugars in bread, if you're concerned
about that try making your own bread. I really love love love making my own bread.
Unless you're planning on sharing your bread I would suggest reducing the ratios
of the recipe but still keeping it even or even making a full batch and then leaving
it in the fridge and baking only what you want when you want it. Don't forget to
cut out anything with any kind of syrup. All syrups are sugar based.

I don't know if you're into fitness and exercising but it may also help you to
develop some kind of workout regime. You'll be a lot less likely to "cheat" or
back out if you're also working out. It seems to me on days when I run
really far I never want to eat carbs and "ruin" my run I know my body will
give me the energy I need naturally, it will just take time. There's a good
chance you'll feel this way about your sugars. A lot of times humans eat
sugars because they want to feel more energized. If you think this may
be the case for you, eat an apple or drink a glass of black coffee. That
way you're getting caffeine and natural sugars but nothing refined. To
further elaborate on a point Sandra made, as a species we are classified
as scavengers. Cats are scavengers, dogs are scavengers, most mammals
are scavengers meaning during our evolution we did not know where our
next meal was coming from so if food was presented to us, we ate it all
in case we didn't get the opportunity to eat again for, realistically, three
weeks. In a way humans are programmed to binge eat. But as civilized
beings we have the power to control ourselves and say no to eating
200 bagels. If cutting out refined and processed sugars is hard for you
in the beginning maybe begin by eating a limited amount or have two
days a month where you can eat a candy bar or something. After awhile
though when you feel the difference inside your body, you probably
won't want to. I haven't had my period yet while doing this whole low
carb thing and I think that's going to be the hardest part for my current
abstinence. Especially paired with running. I plan on just telling myself no.
Ordinarily whenever I want to eat something that I shouldn't I do some
exercises. Maybe some pushups maybe some crunches or squats or leg
lifts or mountain climbers. Just anything to get my mind off of carbs. I
don't have to do this anymore because I've reached the point where I've
done this for eleven days now and I am not going to have done this for
nothing, so telling myself no is much easier than when I started a little
more than a week ago.

@Bird just gave amazing advice. What she is doing is where I plan on ending up. I am used to existing mostly on fruits and vegetables and a bit of protein. I am trying to adapt my taste buds so that I can appreciate the taste of leafy greens and other proteins. I tried doing low carb cold turkey before and I just couldn't maintain it. I wasn't there mentally and I wasn't committed to myself enough even though I knew eating that way was best for me.

She's right, though. After you don't eat carbs for a while it feels extremely heavy in your body when you do. I know when I eat them I accumulate water weight, I feel bloated, I feel like sludge is running through my veins and I end up drinking a ton of raspberry leaf tea and water trying to flush it all out. It feels absolutely disgusting to me now and causes digestive distress, to say it politely. With that, you just have no desire to eat it after a while and I say this as a toast fanatic.

Now, if you want to cut out bread you can. It was a staple of my diet and I don't miss it at all. What I started doing is when I really wanted the taste of bread I'd have some Mountain Bread which is rice bread. It only has about 12 net carbs in it. I find also if I want something crunchy I can slice it up (it's very thin) and bake it in the oven and it tastes delicious. Chips are my downfall more than sweets and this is a good substitute for me, though I'd really rather not have it at all.

You can do it if you CHOOSE to and if you're aware of all the alternatives. I think you'll find that when you move away from the sugar your body will begin to metabolize fat in your diet and your body for energy. That, in combination with exercise will give you all the energy you need on your own and ALSO your appetite will decrease. You simply need to consume less because you're eating exactly what you need.

I lost 45lbs and a good portion of it was due to the change in my diet. I don't know if weight loss is a factor for you, but it was for me and gave me additional motivation to stick with it. I've been doing this for 8 weeks now and is what I've been moving towards in the blog that [MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION] and I have been updating since February.

Indeed, I echo what both [MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1834]sandra_b[/MENTION] have been saying here. I'm not sure getting off fruit forever is necessarily a good thing, but for the short term cutting out ALL sugar does help tremendously. The only sugar or carbs I eat now is a bit of raw natural honey in my tea (the health benefits of natural honey are so substantial I couldn't cut it out.) all other carbs are incidental. You will not believe how much your body begins to change once you drop the sugar and carbs. You might not see it on the scale right away but you will definitely see it in your body.

I really relate to this, my dad has diabetes and I've been eating/drinking sweet things insanely over the past few weeks. Easter doesn't help, tons of chocolate in the store. I think it is a matter of will (Aleister Crowley in my head: 'Do what thou wilt, is the whole of the law.') [From the world's greatest magician, I'd honestly expect better advice :p] I'll work on limiting on my consumption of sugary things, and try to be more mindful that my fondness for sweets isn't everyone's fondness, but possibly much darker.

I know exactly how you feel x3 My friend dropped off a basket of easter candy the day I wanted to start my diet. Needless to say, it did not get started that day. :p

If you live in North America, you had better cut out eating bread as well. I never got used to how sugary your bread is, when I used to work there.

Additionally, there is berry/fruit that, when eaten, causes everything consequently eaten to taste very sweet. It is colloquially known as 'miracle fruit':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

I'm trying to cut out bread as well. The good thing is that I don't like it as nearly as much as I do pasta, so it's been easy to do so far.

That is the most interesting plant on earth. I need that berry! so I can cheatz the system:m153:

One of the biggest sources of sugar in the American diet is milk - lactose. Cut the dairy out from your diet and eat as much of the other sugars as you like, you'd still be ahead of the game.

Luckily for me, I'm lactose-intolerant. :D Although I will guiltily admit I will eat a cheesecake regardless of the consequences.

About a week ago I started doing this low carb thing. Which is a little more
extreme than what sandra was talking about and also more so than what
you're doing. However eating low-carbs I've realized means eating zero sugar.
Not even natural sugars in fruits. I don't have a sugar addiction but I realized
I loved carbs. I get done running now and I want to eat two hundred bagels
and an acre of carrots and I cannot do either. It's really difficult for me.
I was eating the other day and there was tapioca pudding. I hated every bite
of my broccoli because it wasn't that damn pudding. Yesterday it was my
birthday, no birthday cake, no dinner with family, no wild partying with lots
of booze and drunk eating. The hardest part of this is acclimating to no corn,
no carrots, no peas. I didn't realize going into this that I would not be able
to eat these things. The way I look at it is that it's good for me. This is obviously
not something I'm going to be doing long-term, but for the time being I am
doing it and it is good for me. I am not going to be weak-willed and ruin my
dedication and hard-work for a handful of carrots. The first day is hard. The
second day is hard. But every day it gets a little easier until you do not want
and when you do eat it you realize how uncomfortable it feels in your body.
How heavy it makes you feel.

I think it's good that you're cutting sugars out Mochi but I wouldn't worry about
natural sugars in fruits. As far as all the sugars in bread, if you're concerned
about that try making your own bread. I really love love love making my own bread.
Unless you're planning on sharing your bread I would suggest reducing the ratios
of the recipe but still keeping it even or even making a full batch and then leaving
it in the fridge and baking only what you want when you want it. Don't forget to
cut out anything with any kind of syrup. All syrups are sugar based.

Wow, that's quite an amazing feat you are accomplishing there [MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION]. Thank you for the bread tips, that is a great idea and sounds delicious. :3

I don't know if you're into fitness and exercising but it may also help you to
develop some kind of workout regime. You'll be a lot less likely to "cheat" or
back out if you're also working out. It seems to me on days when I run
really far I never want to eat carbs and "ruin" my run I know my body will
give me the energy I need naturally, it will just take time. There's a good
chance you'll feel this way about your sugars. A lot of times humans eat
sugars because they want to feel more energized. If you think this may
be the case for you, eat an apple or drink a glass of black coffee. That
way you're getting caffeine and natural sugars but nothing refined. To
further elaborate on a point Sandra made, as a species we are classified
as scavengers. Cats are scavengers, dogs are scavengers, most mammals
are scavengers meaning during our evolution we did not know where our
next meal was coming from so if food was presented to us, we ate it all
in case we didn't get the opportunity to eat again for, realistically, three
weeks. In a way humans are programmed to binge eat. But as civilized
beings we have the power to control ourselves and say no to eating
200 bagels. If cutting out refined and processed sugars is hard for you
in the beginning maybe begin by eating a limited amount or have two
days a month where you can eat a candy bar or something. After awhile
though when you feel the difference inside your body, you probably
won't want to. I haven't had my period yet while doing this whole low
carb thing and I think that's going to be the hardest part for my current
abstinence. Especially paired with running. I plan on just telling myself no.
Ordinarily whenever I want to eat something that I shouldn't I do some
exercises. Maybe some pushups maybe some crunches or squats or leg
lifts or mountain climbers. Just anything to get my mind off of carbs. I
don't have to do this anymore because I've reached the point where I've
done this for eleven days now and I am not going to have done this for
nothing, so telling myself no is much easier than when I started a little
more than a week ago.

I've noticed that too, it is getting far easier to say no as the days go on, and resist the urge to binge on sweets. :) I'm thinking about exercise too, thank you for the suggestion. :)

I've been feeling much hungrier than usual after doing this.

Also, I actually started gaining weight lol, but in my case it is a good thing because I'm underweight. I think I used to have a candy as my meal, but now I'm eating actual whole meals that are good for you in place.

Overall I feel much better, and I have this energy doesn't crash and burn me out later. So far so good. :D

There are substitute flours you can use when baking. I've tried almond flour. It is much lower in carbs and it works very well. Best with muffins, it would seem.
I've tried soy flour as well. It works, but it's an acquired taste. I haven't tried the substitute sugars though. I would only try something natural like stevia though.

@Bird just gave amazing advice. What she is doing is where I plan on ending up. I am used to existing mostly on fruits and vegetables and a bit of protein. I am trying to adapt my taste buds so that I can appreciate the taste of leafy greens and other proteins. I tried doing low carb cold turkey before and I just couldn't maintain it. I wasn't there mentally and I wasn't committed to myself enough even though I knew eating that way was best for me.

I see, so you go for a greater balance of healthy carbs vs. proteins. Actually I'm glad you addressed this because I am such a carb person vs. a meat person, and had doubts of how this is going to work out (some people increase meat eating by a lot). But increasing vegetables and fruits for snacks though have really helped me strike a balance. My protein intake is about the same.

She's right, though. After you don't eat carbs for a while it feels extremely heavy in your body when you do. I know when I eat them I accumulate water weight, I feel bloated, I feel like sludge is running through my veins and I end up drinking a ton of raspberry leaf tea and water trying to flush it all out. It feels absolutely disgusting to me now and causes digestive distress, to say it politely. With that, you just have no desire to eat it after a while and I say this as a toast fanatic.

Now, if you want to cut out bread you can. It was a staple of my diet and I don't miss it at all. What I started doing is when I really wanted the taste of bread I'd have some Mountain Bread which is rice bread. It only has about 12 net carbs in it. I find also if I want something crunchy I can slice it up (it's very thin) and bake it in the oven and it tastes delicious. Chips are my downfall more than sweets and this is a good substitute for me, though I'd really rather not have it at all.

That rice bread sounds delicious. I will definitely try that as well.

You can do it if you CHOOSE to and if you're aware of all the alternatives. I think you'll find that when you move away from the sugar your body will begin to metabolize fat in your diet and your body for energy. That, in combination with exercise will give you all the energy you need on your own and ALSO your appetite will decrease. You simply need to consume less because you're eating exactly what you need.

I lost 45lbs and a good portion of it was due to the change in my diet. I don't know if weight loss is a factor for you, but it was for me and gave me additional motivation to stick with it. I've been doing this for 8 weeks now and is what I've been moving towards in the blog that @Sali and I have been updating since February.

I'm looking forward to decreasing my appetite. I have an extremely high metabolism, and a very strong appetite. I always ate candy and junk to fill the void. It's getting even more stronger now that I don't snack on sugar anymore. However, eating extra healthy food is definitely helping. :)

Weight loss isn't a factor for me, but there are parts of my body where I think the sugar has definitely done its damage (it would be tmi to describe it, lol) and I would definitely love to "tone" those parts out. That and I'm extremely afraid of getting diabetes, since everyone in my family that's older (except my mother, but including all grandparents) have.

Congratulations to you and [MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION], I've also been reading that blog and I think your results are truly amazing! :) Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your tips with me. :3

Indeed, I echo what both @Bird and @sandra_b have been saying here. I'm not sure getting off fruit forever is necessarily a good thing, but for the short term cutting out ALL sugar does help tremendously. The only sugar or carbs I eat now is a bit of raw natural honey in my tea (the health benefits of natural honey are so substantial I couldn't cut it out.) all other carbs are incidental. You will not believe how much your body begins to change once you drop the sugar and carbs. You might not see it on the scale right away but you will definitely see it in your body.

That sounds great. I can definitely feel it already. And I will use that honey tip. :3

This thread makes me want strawberry flavored Welch's fruit snacks. Badly.

Learn to enjoy other tastes that aren't sweet. Ranch dressing is god tier with anything, but pretty fattening. Still, it's my "I've had enough candy" food when I get addicted to candy lol.

f yeah not fat :3