Stressed out by being in public | INFJ Forum

Stressed out by being in public

brownegg

Jul 18, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
?
I find being out in public on my own to be a little overwhelming and tiring. I'm really responsive to other people's emotional states.

I see too many yawns and frowns and hear annoying voices. It is a true onslaught.

I'm definitely more of a one on one type. This is common with our type, no?

At least I made one person smile today. I like to radiate calm, even if I'm feeling uneasy.

Mystery.

Does this sound like you?

Yeup.

I have found that the same statements that make some(many) types yawn, would make my intp friend(or other intuitive introverts) look at me like they want to hear more.

(This is true sometimes and not with all Ni's)

Yep.... though I should add it really helps if I have my husband with. It allows me an "anchor" in the sea of strangers and a way to retreat into our own semi-private world as we are out and about. Either way, though, I tend to get worn out by it!

When I do talk, I am sometimes misunderstood because of the use of a lot of metaphor. It's clear as day to me but then I realize that the other(s) have, or probably have taken it in a way that I didn't intend. Then it's usually too late to backtrack and to fix it. People that know me well can usually figure it out because it came from me, but it confuses others.

I have found that the same statements that make some(many) types yawn, would make my intp friend(or other intuitive introverts) look at me like they want to hear more.

(This is true sometimes and not with all Ni's)

I want to hear more. :p No, I'm curious, what kind of stuff bores people but piques INTPs' interest?

Reactions: Kmal
Hi brownegg!

Darth,
Topics include but are not limited to the following:

Manually tracking Jupiter with a 4 inch reflector telescope.

Theories on dating compatability.

Why a certain stock sector may do well in the next 6 months.

The psychological motivations of our boss.

Particle accelerators.

What we think the cafeteria will have for lunch and why.

Reactions: Nixie
My brother-in law is probably an esfj. He can speak to me and I will listen intently and actively. Then when I start talking, he will start yawning in about 10 seconds. No exaggeration. It can be exasperating for me, but I'm mostly just used to it, and stop talking.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
The public life is one I can only take in moderation. It wears me out...sometimes very quickly. That said, I do enjoy it...just in moderation. I don't perceive it as an onslaught...just too frantic for my noggin to operate properly.

Agreed. It's just so tiring sometimes. I also really hate when I say something that made sense in my head but came out a bit differently and people look at me like I'm nuts. I try to be so clear but sometimes it doesn't work out. Idk. Grasping social rituals when you're tired can be tough.

Realm said:

Yep.... though I should add it really helps if I have my husband with. It allows me an "anchor" in the sea of strangers and a way to retreat into our own semi-private world as we are out and about. Either way, though, I tend to get worn out by it!

I feel the same about my boyfriend. I can choose him as the only one who matters in a situation, and not be swallowed up by the emotional swamp around me.

Last edited: