Spiritual Bypassing | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Spiritual Bypassing

Philippians 2:12-13
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvationwith fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
Yes I saw that. It’s interesting that the translators of Buddhist scripture have made a connection here by the look of things. They are very different spiritual pathways of course for much of the journey. The Buddha was not god and never claimed to be, and said nothing about whether there is a god, for either yes or no. I find the best way for me to get a feel for Buddhism is through Zen, because it strips away a lot of the religious additions that have grown around it over the centuries and focuses on the core.

For myself, the ultimate reality is a person. The whole world is filled with the glow of that person, and I too am caught up in it if I look deep enough.

John 1:14
The Word was made flesh, he lived among us, and we saw his glory, the glory that is his as the only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Something’s suspicious about this. My belief is that it is something written later and intentionally, to mislead Christians into believing Jesus took his words from other religions, yet he himself claimed repeatedly that his words came directly from the Father in heaven.
Did the Buddha even teach anything in regards to salvation? What would salvation even be to a Buddhist? I thought the intention was to become nothing, yet one with everything. That doesn’t sound like salvation of any kind to me personally.
Sorry, I posted before reading yours.

Yes Buddhism is seeking salvation but it is a very different concept to that of Christianity. There is no sense of a god, and The Buddha is a man who has achieved salvation and is pointing the way to others out of compassion for them.

There are lots of parallels between Buddhism and Christianity as well as huge and fundamental differences. I don’t think the translators were trying to suggest that Christ took his message from Buddhism though they may have used the biblical style of expression in how they translated it.

Ah yes the eons old salvation trap that had people in fear and guilt for so long only to find themselves back again living out new experiences regardless of their past progress. If anything there is comfort that souls don't go to the waste bin for having fallen short at least not for eternity regardless what the old religions have written. Those that have fallen short having done real evil will end up coming back sometimes to normal lives while others come back to experience the other end of such but ultimately everyone has every opportunity as needed to make up for or progress from their short comings.

Ah yes the eons old salvation trap that had people in fear and guilt for so long
I’m pretty sure as well that a lot of this is nothing to do with the spiritual heart of religion and all to do with secular control of people for political reasons. A religion can be used to maintain central state power and keep people compliant by threatening them with the fear of spiritual punishment, and this was the norm until recently - it still is in many parts of the world. It was what got Christ crucified when he challenged the religious political balance of his times.

Something’s suspicious about this. My belief is that it is something written later and intentionally, to mislead Christians into believing Jesus took his words from other religions, yet he himself claimed repeatedly that his words came directly from the Father in heaven.
Did the Buddha even teach anything in regards to salvation? What would salvation even be to a Buddhist? I thought the intention was to become nothing, yet one with everything. That doesn’t sound like salvation of any kind to me personally.

The more commonly used term in Buddhism for salvation is enlightenment. A quick definition look up for salvation on the Googles says Christian salvation means "saving [of] human beings from sin and its consequences, which include death and separation from God." A quick definition look up for enlightenment in Buddhism is "the action or state of attaining or having attained spiritual knowledge or insight, in particular (in Buddhism) that awareness which frees a person from the cycle of rebirth." (Emphasis in both is mine.) The cycle of rebirth could be considered a state of suffering, trapped in samsara. I think in this way Christianity and Buddhism are pretty equatable. It is their point to 'save' people and in some way this is common for all religions as their fundamental purpose achieved through varying means. I've thought for a while now that highly realized individuals in Buddhism and Christianity are more similar than they are different.

To expand on the link that John K shared; being born as a human is considered favorable in Buddhism as we're the only kind of beings that can reach enlightenment. The Buddha is quoted in other sutra's mentioning that since it is so advantageous to be a human it's really important that you follow the dharma now otherwise you might not have this opportunity again in another life. I think that him speaking of practicing with diligence seems in character for him, but saying so with outright fear does not.

I just wanted to elaborate a little bit to hopefully dispel any confusion.

Returning to the topic, I'm of the opinion that what's good for you is simply good for you. If it's achieved through spiritual means or through a therapist is irrelevant as long as the benefit is well, a benefit. I think there is little point making a distinction. There are plenty of spiritual practices that cause harm, just as there are psychotheraputic practices that cause harm. There are spiritual practices that bring benefits, and there are psychotheraputic practices that bring benefit. There's some kind of 'truth' out there and that 'truth' should be used to bring some sense of 'goodness'. Which sphere it falls under in terms of labels doesn't matter, because if it's good it doesn't really have a label. It's just 'good'. I tend to fall under what people would consider spiritual bypassing, but from my perspective it's not really bypassing at all. It's just simply the 'truth' revealing to me what's 'good'. If I'm suffering in some way, there's a good chance I'm just not correctly following or understanding what's 'good' about the 'truth'. To expand, I don't think there's a real separation between the mind, body and spirit; they're all part of one whole.

Rereading that last part I think I come across rambling and arbitrary but I'm having a hard time putting into words exactly what I believe.

Returning to the topic, I'm of the opinion that what's good for you is simply good for you. If it's achieved through spiritual means or through a therapist is irrelevant as long as the benefit is well, a benefit. I think there is little point making a distinction. There are plenty of spiritual practices that cause harm, just as there are psychotheraputic practices that cause harm. There are spiritual practices that bring benefits, and there are psychotheraputic practices that bring benefit. There's some kind of 'truth' out there and that 'truth' should be used to bring some sense of 'goodness'. Which sphere it falls under in terms of labels doesn't matter, because if it's good it doesn't really have a label. It's just 'good'. I tend to fall under what people would consider spiritual bypassing, but from my perspective it's not really bypassing at all. It's just simply the 'truth' revealing to me what's 'good'. If I'm suffering in some way, there's a good chance I'm just not correctly following or understanding what's 'good' about the 'truth'. To expand, I don't think there's a real separation between the mind, body and spirit; they're all part of one whole.

Rereading that last part I think I come across rambling and arbitrary but I'm having a hard time putting into words exactly what I believe.
Thank you for returning to the topic and I don't feel like you were rambling at all. It's all good stuff. And it seems like you probably get why I'm having a hard time finding the words to describe my approach/process.

To expand on the link that John K shared; being born as a human is considered favorable in Buddhism as we're the only kind of beings that can reach enlightenment. The Buddha is quoted in other sutra's mentioning that since it is so advantageous to be a human it's really important that you follow the dharma now otherwise you might not have this opportunity again in another life. I think that him speaking of practicing with diligence seems in character for him, but saying so with outright fear does not.
I agree with you. The Buddha would not emphasize fear. He would ask that we all examine our fears which is what keeps us caught up in the cycle of samsara...and then let them go. The path to enlightenment(salvation) is a letting go of our identities especially the ones predicated upon a fear belief of some kind.
In this way the Buddha did not encourage spiritual bypassing.

Matthew 5:3-12
King James Version

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

Look at the parables. We use both to better understand the meanings. Sometimes, with time, our cups are filled and overflow. Should we get more cups?

The world may see what we are doing as foolishness. Conflict from others' ways of thinking, but not our own.

Last edited:
How would you describe the psychological usefulness of spiritual beliefs and practices? To what extent do they blend well and compliment each other? When do they conflict? Have you been a witness to spiritual bypassing either in yourself or others? If so, and if you feel comfortable sharing, how was that resolved?

Ironically most of the spiritual bypassing I've witnessed has been couched in the idioms of psychology rather than religion. In the West there's a really rather pernicious ideology being put out by unqualified motivational speakers and the like which claims to be grounded in 'psychology' but in actuality preaches a mode of being remarkably suited to the imperative of late capitalism to atomise individuals.

'Toxic positivity' is a well known symptom of this kind of charlatanism, but there are a few others which risk becoming folk wisdoms.

'Self-love' is a pretty obscene one, since in many iterations it tends to encourage social atomisation, promoting asocial 'independence' as some kind of normative value. It interacts in a strange way with the marketisation of 'love', with people adopting it operating under the implicit (sometimes explicit) belief that such a doctrine raises or signals their dating market value. 'I want you, but I don't need you' is a similar mantra conceived under this ideology.

The resurgence of stoicism seems to fulfill the same purpose - of encouraging people to simply confirm without complaint to the inhuman and unnatural world in which they find themselves.

I find that most 'spiritual bypassing' of this type is not resolved from the outside, since its adherents tend to be convinced of the 'truth' of whatever ideology they're subscribing to, often choosing to spread it to others as 'wisdom'. I think the greater part of the self-help industry is close to cancerous.

Ah yes the eons old salvation trap that had people in fear and guilt for so long only to find themselves back again living out new experiences regardless of their past progress. If anything there is comfort that souls don't go to the waste bin for having fallen short at least not for eternity regardless what the old religions have written. Those that have fallen short having done real evil will end up coming back sometimes to normal lives while others come back to experience the other end of such but ultimately everyone has every opportunity as needed to make up for or progress from their short comings.

I see where you’re coming from, but Christianity is not fear-based. There are those who have twisted it to make it seem as though it is.

Romans 8:1-2
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit, who gives life, has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Trying to live without making a mistake [by the Old Testament law] brings death and is a curse. That’s why it brings joy and life to know Jesus covers all sin.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure as well that a lot of this is nothing to do with the spiritual heart of religion and all to do with secular control of people for political reasons. A religion can be used to maintain central state power and keep people compliant by threatening them with the fear of spiritual punishment, and this was the norm until recently - it still is in many parts of the world. It was what got Christ crucified when he challenged the religious political balance of his times.

I want to also point out that the word for fear used in the Philippines verse means reverence and awe.

And the point of the message is just to make sure that you are having personal integrity in what you believe. The verse is meant to address those that were constantly questioning whether or not they were saved (likely because of lifestyle choices), when it is not for another person to know that.

Paul invites believers to examine their hearts and the fruit in their lives as a measure of our devotion. It is only through relationship with Jesus we can produce good fruit from a place of love. That way only Jesus gets the credit (he well deserves) and no one can boast about being better than any other person. I know for certain I am unable to do much good without him. I constantly need to lay my burdens at his feet.

I'd like to just echo @Wildfire and say that I don't think you are rambling, but are adding clarity and pespective. Thank you for that. You are quite right to pick up that the quote from The Buddha's last words is not fear, but diligence. He would never have talked about enlightenment in terms of the kind of spiritual awe we can experience in the face of god.

The resurgence of stoicism seems to fulfill the same purpose - of encouraging people to simply confirm without complaint to the inhuman and unnatural world in which they find themselves.
This is a video we used as a basis for helping staff dealing with change in the company I worked for in the early 2000's.
I felt at the time, and still do, that this is an utterly revolting message taken in isolation. What it's saying is that people should always just go with the flow and accept and adapt to what happens to them. It's evil because there is an element of truth in it, but it makes no allowance for the idea that, to a considerable extent, we can (and should) all be masters of what and how things change. It's an opium concept. It's a very good example of the promotion of mass bypassing.

I want to also point out that the word for fear used in the Philippines verse means reverence and awe.
Absolutly @MsLonelyHearts - the fear of the Lord taken all the way is the existential terror of meeting the Spirit for real, which is also utter, overwhelming love, peace and joy. The problem for lot of people is that Christianity has been expressed to them in a way that misses its point, and hurts and alienates them. It can help to see how other spiritual paths are expressed, because it can help us to see the inner core of Christ's message from the outside, stipped bare of all the mess that humans have layered on top of it. An awful lot of what has been presented as Christianity can lead to the bypassing that is the focus of @Wildfire's thread. I'm sure this is true of other spiritual paths too, but I'm much more familiar with Christianity from the inside.

I see where you’re coming from, but Christianity is not fear-based. There are those who have twisted it to make it seem as though it is.

Romans 8:1-2
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit, who gives life, has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Trying to live without making a mistake [by the Old Testament law] brings death and is a curse. That’s why it brings joy and life to know Jesus covers all sin.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Ironically most of the spiritual bypassing I've witnessed has been couched in the idioms of psychology rather than religion. In the West there's a really rather pernicious ideology being put out by unqualified motivational speakers and the like which claims to be grounded in 'psychology' but in actuality preaches a mode of being remarkably suited to the imperative of late capitalism to atomise individuals.

'Toxic positivity' is a well known symptom of this kind of charlatanism, but there are a few others which risk becoming folk wisdoms.

'Self-love' is a pretty obscene one, since in many iterations it tends to encourage social atomisation, promoting asocial 'independence' as some kind of normative value. It interacts in a strange way with the marketisation of 'love', with people adopting it operating under the implicit (sometimes explicit) belief that such a doctrine raises or signals their dating market value. 'I want you, but I don't need you' is a similar mantra conceived under this ideology.

I find that most 'spiritual bypassing' of this type is not resolved from the outside, since its adherents tend to be convinced of the 'truth' of whatever ideology they're subscribing to, often choosing to spread it to others as 'wisdom'. I think the greater part of the self-help industry is close to cancerous.
I see the same thing.

It seems that we, as a species, have a tendency to happen upon a truth and then treat it like it’s THE truth, embracing distortions to our detriment. We can be altogether avoidant or in search of quick fixes, and bypass a chance at real change.

It seems to be self correcting though, and I find that hopeful.

There does seem to come a point of political expectation and expression that kills the very core of loving Gods forgiveness and loving another. Any religious expectation becomes a way to bypass Christ. I think it’s easy to take revelations to a bad place when times change and we lose hope in Jesus being who He is in doing what he needs to do. So perhaps we make it too personal in that way too.
Once it becomes overtly personal we’ve missed the mark on providing that love to someone and we can’t say when correction, healing, or growth occurs for each person and at what time in their lives.
Perhaps this is where psychology fails to diagnose or even is quick to do so and miss “the mark” so to speak.
We can’t “see ourselves” nor can we do the very thing we’re trying to do.
“I am not allowed to judge even myself.”

Last edited:
Reactions: John K
I think anyone pursuing some avenue of spirituality is going to experience spiritual bypassing within themselves at times.
I feel like the term itself is sort of a way of blaming people for their ignorance, which I kind of find detestable.
But also, it's important to move past those hurdles in order to continue to better yourself, so we kind of need the term.
I wanted to comment again on what you said here @Wyote because "the blaming people part" that I said I couldn’t quite follow turned out to be an important piece for my friend. Though I never blamed her, she has been blaming herself. In her words she has internalized some unhealthy ideas about the way we grow.

Reactions: John K and Wyote
Reactions: John K and Wildfire
Finally found words that work for me here…

https://rosehahn.com/spiritual-bypassing/

Others might find this helpful…

Spiritual Bypassing & Compassion

There’s a LOT of suffering in the world. It’s hard enough to bear the burden of our own. But when we attempt to sit with the reality of even one segment of the world’s suffering, it can feel overwhelming. And if we’ve found a way to limit real contact with our own suffering, it can be really tempting to apply that technique to all suffering we encounter.

Spiritual bypassing – in the larger social context – means avoiding, denying, or otherwise minimizing the real lived experience of other humans, by applying spiritual concepts that keep us from really having to sit with it. In the case of Buddhism, this might look like wrapping the pain of racial trauma in the neater packaging of the truth of suffering. Without touching the felt experience of that suffering in a compassionate way. With Christianity, it might show up as a retreat into God’s will. Without fully exploring what we can do to affect change. In New Age spirituality, it might manifest as a desire to voice only positive messages. Without acknowledging the truth (or value) of painful or charged emotions.

With every spiritual path, there’s a potential to fall into the trap of spiritual bypassing. That’s because bypassing is a psychological process – not a dogmatic or spiritual one. Even at the larger level of social issues, the individual’s fundamental desire to avoid uncomfortable realities is the motivating factor.

Compassion asks us to feel someone else’s pain. If we haven’t found a way to hold space for and process pain, real compassion is difficult to offer. If we have old wounds we haven’t healed, or aren’t willing to look at, we can find it too triggering or uncomfortable to face – and empathically feel – the suffering of others.

Finally found words that work for me here…

https://rosehahn.com/spiritual-bypassing/

Others might find this helpful…

The positive vibes only crowd really do take toxic positivity to unrivaled levels when it is already a very real problem in society. It really does make my blood boil when people use their positivity to not only invalidate but also attack others for having less than positive experiences in life and I often observe such from people who've had it incredibly easy lives when everyone else is only just getting by. I get it that they are in the top .1-1% of humanity that gets to live life without much of if any responsibility but come on ffs they need to get real with the world for once.