Soulmates vs. Being in love? | INFJ Forum

Soulmates vs. Being in love?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Soulmates vs. Being in love: Is there a difference in a relationship?

Last edited:
Big difference. I'm not in love with my best friend.

I meant whether there is a difference between being with someone you feel "in love" with vs. being with someone you feel is a soulmate? [MENTION=4137]technics[/MENTION]

Last edited:
Love isn't a word.
It's a feeling.
You feel love.
You love.

Yes, there is a difference between the two words.
The underlying principle is love.
Agape is the unifying love.

Reactions: Gaze
Love is so many things. . a thought, a feeling, but once in it, it's a verb, ,
I wrestle with the soulmate notion. . I've found that my soul is my own. . I nay choose to give it to another. .or let another share it
I suppose when I do that, we become soulmates. but in doing that you become so vulnerable.

My experience with a soul mate has always been outside the realm of a possible romantic relationship, so from my perspective it is not the same thing. If it were, I suppose that would be magic.

Last edited:
I meant whether there is a difference between being with someone you feel "in love" with vs. being with someone you feel is a soulmate? @technics

Hm, hm.I guess that you can be "in love" with someone who is not your soulmate...
Could someone be your soulmate and not your "love"??? I don't know...What if it is about someone who is wrong gender or already in love to somebody else...or something else?
But we can have more soulmates, I think:)

Thing is, I don't think soulmates exist because I believe they do, but if you have an experience with someone which reflects the idea or experience, then maybe it's something you begin to believe exists because now you have the experience to confirm it.

But in terms of the original question, [MENTION=1069]Jana[/MENTION], I agree that you can be in love with someone who is not your soulmate. And you can have a soulmate and not be in love with them.

But I guess, my question is a bit more philosophical. My curiosity is about the experience you have being in a relationship with one vs. the other.

Maybe another question to ask then is, "is being in love the highest form of love you can have for someone?" You can fall in and out of love with someone. But another thing is that the concept of soulmate assumes your feelings for them never end, even if the relationship ends.

Thoughts?

If there is such thing as soulmates and if I find one and if we fall in love...that would be too much, but I think that something like that would be worth working on and not letting go.

Anyway, if i find free soulmate, that would be enough for relationship I am sure.

[MENTION=1069]Jana[/MENTION] is my soulmate

The moment I found my soulmate I felt that we were the only two people in the world carrying lanterns searching and finally found each other's light. I have never felt anything like that when meeting my love that day and I don't think I ever will. I think the difference for me is that although I hope we will always be together, even if it did not work out and circumstances kept us apart, I know I will see him the next lifetime and that he has been with me in past lives as well. I am just grateful I ever had one moment with him, let alone all of the amazing time we have spent together.

Love is such a feeble and inaccurate word in the english language. By itself it has no context, "I love my brother", "I love my wife", "I love chocolate cake." There is nothing to separate these terms in our language aside from the context and order in which the words are placed. Which is why the phrase "In love with" seems to have been invented. As far as soul mates, I'm not entirely convinced of the concept in practice I guess that I could be in theory in that we all have many soul mates. But I don't believe that magical fairy tale like love that just falls into place and no one ever has to work or compromise to make happen really exists. love works because you know that there is going to have to be compromise to some extent and you're ok with that.

But I don't believe that magical fairy tale like love that just falls into place and no one ever has to work or compromise to make happen really exists. love works because you know that there is going to have to be compromise to some extent and you're ok with that.

Completely agree. I used to believe in soulmates, and I still question whether the idea exists but it's too perfect. It makes it seem as if someone is not loveable or deserving of that complete all encompassing love if they're not a perfect fit in every way.

I believe we have many soulmates. In my mind I use the term to mean people with whom we feel a deep "prior" soul connection... whom we just know were meant to play an important role in our lives this time around. Being in Love (to me) is taking the idea of soulmates and supercharging it, it is a deep heart choice that we make to focus on a particularly strong soulmate connection with the highest intensity we can muster. The beauty of this choice is that it frees us to explore the other with a depth that would otherwise be impossible and to open ourselves to them in kind in ways that are very difficult.

Does this mean the resulting relationship is perfect? No, not by a long shot ;) That the particular combination of "being in love with a soulmate" is a cruicible of sorts. It can mean the greatest pleasure AND the greatest pain you've ever felt, resulting in the greatest growth you've ever experienced and expansion of your capacity to love...

I don't know if I believe in the idea of soul mates anymore. I used to. I was with someone who I had convinced myself was my soul mate and who I convinced myself that I was in love with and I was wrong. So so so very wrong. I don't think I've ever been truly, deeply in love with someone in a healthy committed relationship so my perspective on this may not be what you're looking for.

If soul mates do exist, I think you can be in love with someone who is not your soul mate. I get the idea though that being in love with your soul mate may transcend that. If you connect with someone on a soul level I think it would be much different that simply being in love with someone who you happen to have compatibility with. It just seems like it would have to be more than that. But I don't know, I can only speculate.

[MENTION=4387]lucidflutterby[/MENTION]

The moment I found my soulmate I felt that we were the only two people in the world carrying lanterns searching and finally found each other's light.

Beautiful... that is exactly what it felt like for me as well. =)