rose

Oct 21, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
i think that we are not all our lives INFJes
i mean when we were young we were somthing else
and even as we grow we will turn to somthing else
correct me if im wrong :)

Your type will change if you drastically change your perceptions. I think I read somewhere that MBTI is meant for people between 20 and 70 because if you are younger or older you tend to view things in a different way.

Also if you are under a lot of stress your results may change. Your true type is how you relate to things naturally.

As a child, I think I may have leaned more in the INFP direction but as I have grown I've picked up a J.

Last edited:
I think I was always an INFJ but not the INFJ I am now. We learn, grow, improve and mature as we age. We become more comfortable in our own skin.

We learn, grow, improve and mature as we age. We become more comfortable in our own skin.

Yup. We develop functions.

http://www.personalitypage.com/development.html said:
Recent studies done around Temperament suggest that we are each born with our temperaments intact. Efforts are being made to prove this.

Phases of development for the INFJ Personality Type:

From age 0 - 6 years
At this early age, we use all four of the functions in an indiscriminate fashion. We "try on" the different functions for size, determining which ones work best for us. The little INFJ has not yet emerged as any particular personality type, although his parents may notice trends in behavior which appear to have the characteristics of one or more types.

From 6 - 12 years
During this phase, our dominant function begins to develop and assert itself. Our young INFJ begins to appear dreamy and introspective - he begins to prefer to use his iNtuition to take in information, and he chooses to do this alone (Introverted). The dominant function of "Introverted iNtuition" begins to show itself as the prevailing aspect of his personality.

From 12 - 20 years
The auxiliary function asserts itself as a powerful support to the dominant function. Since all recent studies point towards the importance of a well-developed team of dominant AND auxiliary functions, this is an important time of "self-identification". Research suggests that people without a strong auxiliary function to complement their dominant function have real problems.
In our INFJ example, we see the auxiliary Feeling function come to the front during this phase as a support to the dominant iNtuitive function. Since the INFJ's dominant function is an Information Gathering function, the auxilary function must be a Decision Making one. Without a Decision Making process, we would flounder about and never get anything done! As the auxilary Feeling process comes forth, the INFJ begins to develop the ability to make decisions based on his personal value system. This auxiliary decision making process will be Extraverted, since the dominant function is Introverted. Since the decision making function is Extraverted, our subject now emerges as a "Judger", rather than a "Perceiver". Our INFJ Personality Type is now pretty firmly set in place, and we know the dominance ordering of the four functions.

From 20 - 35 years
We begin to use our tertiary function more frequently and with better success. Our INFJ begins to use his Introverted Thinking function. He continues to make judgments with his Extreverted Feeling auxiliary function, but he also begins to make judgments based on logic and reason, which he works through in his own mind, rather than discussing it with others.

From 35 - 50 years
We pay attention to our fourth, inferior function. We feel a need to develop it and use it more effectively. Our INFJ begins to use his Extraverted Sensing function. He becomes more aware of his surroundings and begins to take in information from others in a more literal, practical sense. He continues to rely on his dominant Introverted iNtuitive function to take in information, but he is more able to use his Extraverted Sensing function than he has been before in his life. Some researchers have attested that the appearance of our inferior functions at this phase of life may be responsible for what we commonly call the "mid-life crisis".

From 50 onwards
From this age until our deaths, we have accessibility to all four functions. However, we use them in a more disciplined, differentiated manner than when we were very young. Our basic Personality Type continues to assert itself, but we are able to call upon all four functions when needed.

*waits for Gloomy to expand...*

thank you ...
i think i changed since i was younger

thanks .. good bye :mcry:

Yup. We develop functions.

*waits for Gloomy to expand...*

Lol, I guess I'm an expert now :B

Okay, anyways: I've done some very basic research on nature vs. nurture, and it is a lot more complicated than one would originally think. Apparently, some studies with identical twins show that we definitely do have some basis in genetics; as in, you are born with at least the foundation of your type. Then, we also have seen a correlation between type and birth order; that can help to show that dramatic changes within the first 5 years of life, such as the appearance of another sibling, can help the formation of type as well.

But it is generally accepted that preference does not change once it is fully inset, after the age of about 5-6. You can switch preferences in certain instances, such as becoming more T when your under stress, but your base type, your "main" preference, will not change in the long term. The only exception would probably be some sort of severe trauma or mental illness.

HOWEVER we do develop our functions as time goes on. Just because you're F doesn't mean you can't have a well developed T-based function; what you experienced in childhood was probably a lack of full control or understanding over your functions, as Lurker said.

Although, I have to say; I think functions develop more with experience than just age, because I think I've already got a fairly well-developed tertiary function :/