Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
So I have a quick question, would the INFJ's insight and intuition make him or her a decent poker player.

Last edited:
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: It takes a long time to master the necessary skill set to make money off of it. And you cant simply ignore the introverted T function, either. There is a good amount of math and behavioral pattern recognition mastery required to work your opponents like puppets. After enough time at the tables though your intuition starts to take over, but be ready for many tens of thousands of hands of education before that really starts to take hold.

first off I apologies meant to post the INFJ not the INTJ

thanks for the answers. Exit yours may have looked farther into it then I intended.

my point was not to manipulate others into playing how you want them to. However I was thinking of how one might be capable of recognizing their opponents expressions into figuring out what they are doing.

following this I don't play for money, nor do I claim to even close to doing this. I simply found that a few of the people I've played act and react in certain ways.

More so does the INFJ develop this abilities to read players faster then others types.

Let me clarify; I've been playing for about two years now, mostly for money, but even in free roll games I try hard to take it seriously because I truly want to get better at the game. Simply put, to be a winning poker player you have to get your opponents to do what you want; fold their hands if you are not sure you can win the pot outright or put in their whole stack if you know you can break them =).

That being said, an INFJs intuition can be a powerful tool at the table, but it will take a while for it to develop.

Poker is a game of deception, whereas in the real world peoples motivations are usually pretty straight forward. Basically you cant use your people reading skills in the same way. It's one thing to simply intuitively understand if you can trust someones motives; at the card table every single person is doing their best to BS you all of the time, to conceal what their cards are, mixing up their betting patterns so you CANT get a good read on the strength of their hand.

Like I said, it will take some time to develop because you are going to be using your intuition in different ways. Most notably I've found that my intuition has been most useful not in learning what cards they have, but rather in simply understanding how to get them to do what I want them to do: bet, check, call, fold, push all in, etc.

Oh yeah, I've been assuming that we're talking about hold'em.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Let me clarify; I've been playing for about two years now, mostly for money, but even in free roll games I try hard to take it seriously because I truly want to get better at the game. Simply put, to be a winning poker player you have to get your opponents to do what you want; fold their hands if you are not sure you can win the pot outright or put in their whole stack if you know you can break them =).

That being said, an INFJs intuition can be a powerful tool at the table, but it will take a while for it to develop.

Poker is a game of deception, whereas in the real world peoples motivations are usually pretty straight forward. Basically you cant use your people reading skills in the same way. It's one thing to simply intuitively understand if you can trust someones motives; at the card table every single person is doing their best to BS you all of the time, to conceal what their cards are, mixing up their betting patterns so you CANT get a good read on the strength of their hand.

Like I said, it will take some time to develop because you are going to be using your intuition in different ways. Most notably I've found that my intuition has been most useful not in learning what cards they have, but rather in simply understanding how to get them to do what I want them to do: bet, check, call, fold, push all in, etc.

Oh yeah, I've been assuming that we're talking about hold'em.

Edit: spelling

Thanks this has been interesting, I like to learn things like this.

You wouldn't want to compete against my somewhat ruthless INTJ son, who excels at poker and doesn't care about hurting peoples' feelings if there is money to be made. OTOH, he graduated from poker player to commodities trader, where there's a lot more money to be made, as he has aptly proven. Hopefully, he'll be compassionate enough to take care of me in my dotage. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

I played some poker for a while.

I think there are at least two reasons why INFJ are not the best poker players, not even good ones. First, our body language is considered easy to read, and there are some other types that have far more talent at reading (and manipulating) than us. Second, one very important factor for playing decent level poker is being able to find the weakest player at the table and focusing your attention on taking that person's money.

When I came to the level that this strategy became important, it transformed into a whole other game and I realized that poker wasn't for me. I started to feel sadness when I "liberated" these people from their money, actually more than the times I lost money myself.

Poker can be fun under the right circumstances, but as for making serious money from poker, I think a strong Fe makes it almost impossible for an INFJ.

Well, that's just my

I kick ass if I am playing against friends and in a cut throat mood. Any other time it's pretty random on how well I do. I do tend to have large strings of luck though, some days. I got a few honest royal flushes when I was younger. Haven't played in quite a while. Against strangers I am pretty much no good.

I played some poker for a while.

I think there are at least two reasons why INFJ are not the best poker players, not even good ones. First, our body language is considered easy to read, and there are some other types that have far more talent at reading (and manipulating) than us. Second, one very important factor for playing decent level poker is being able to find the weakest player at the table and focusing your attention on taking that person's money.

When I came to the level that this strategy became important, it transformed into a whole other game and I realized that poker wasn't for me. I started to feel sadness when I "liberated" these people from their money, actually more than the times I lost money myself.

Poker can be fun under the right circumstances, but as for making serious money from poker, I think a strong Fe makes it almost impossible for an INFJ.

Well, that's just my

I agree with mooseman.

Though, I still find it quite pathetic that we feel sorry for the loser. They agree on their own terms.
:m052: "silly INFJ's"lol

well for me, I don't play for cash. so no Fe problems. secondly I have a pretty good poker face, I don't give off to much body language.

unless I smile, which is a terrible fault of mine, not a common one, but a fault none the less

I've found that I'm a great poker player unless there is someone at the table who can read my face, and then I should just walk away.

I kick ass if I am playing against friends and in a cut throat mood. Any other time it's pretty random on how well I do. I do tend to have large strings of luck though, some days. I got a few honest royal flushes when I was younger. Haven't played in quite a while. Against strangers I am pretty much no good.
Pretty much this. I can read my friends like a book and already know their tells before getting to the table.

If I'm playing against strangers, there's a 100% chance that I'm going to get my butt kicked.

I win with my friends because I can play their bluffs, other than that I'm rotten at poker.

I was decent at online poker, but in a real game I sucked so badly.