Social Statistics: The lies and deceit | INFJ Forum

Social Statistics: The lies and deceit

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Satya, Sep 7, 2008.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Satya
  1. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    One of my biggest pet peeves are individuals who misuse statistics. Take this example...

But people take these statistics to heart, and even determine how they vote by them. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was taking statistics, because I am completely aware of how ignorant most people are of them.

2. frozen_water

frozen_water Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    yes! In complete agreement... although usually the ones that jump out at me are the studies done on evangelical christians, because they have similar fallacies.

As a general rule of thumb, I never accept statistics as evidence. I know it's stupid, but I don't know them well enough to discern and even on theory they're shaky and hard to trust (relies on the understanding of the questioner, not misunderstanding questions, honest answers from participants, that the participants know themselves well enough to answer with the truth, stuff like that).

Purposeful and accidental misuse are difficult to distinguish... but in either case I don't think they're to be trusted.