Smells and stuff

AnimeGirl2501

Community Member
Oct 17, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
8.3 on the RMS!!!
So I keep smelling roses and floral smells when I live like 11 stories up and don't have any flowers in my place. But sometimes they are smells from my childhood and other times I smell my grandmother's perfume and cigarettes.

Anyone other peeps have this happen to them?

It's a flower ghost. Get your hedgeclippers.

I think cigarette smoke at least is pungent enough to drift through ventilation systems sometimes.

Gawd, I smell cigarette smoke all the time. No one smokes in my house. I know people would look at me strange if they heard me say: "SMOKEY! Take that outside!" lol I've had my husband smell it, he can smell it but doesn't know what it is. My friend came over once who is very sensitive and she said we surprised when she could smell it. It was concentrated at the bottom of the stairs, you couldn't smell it elsewhere.

It's not the heat or a/c, b/c right now neither have been on for a couple of weeks. I might call the fire dept anyways to see if they can check for hotspots in the walls.

As I see it there are a few possibilities:
someone's haunting you, and they cause you to smell things from your memories
a memory randomly pops up, which causes you to remember those certain smells, but being unconscious to the memory, you think you're smelling something thats not there
the nose (generally) only detects combinations of 40-something chemicals (if I remember correctly), and so you could be smelling some combination of smells that sums to something akin to those flowers and smoke, and so you think you're smelling those things.

by my world view, all are equally likely (and interrelated, the person haunting you could influence you mentally to mistake the chemicals in the air for those smells, etc.).

This is going to sound ridiculous but did you ever hear about clairvoyance? Well, some people do not 'see' things that are not physically there, but 'smell' or 'hear' certain things. A clairvoyant sense of smell, so to speak. I have no personal experience with it, however, but you can look into it if this might be the thing that is going on. I think it is pretty nice though, as long as the triggered memories are nice ones of course :). I love it when someone walks past me on the street and I smell my grandmother's perfume :)

I could out-sniff a sniffer dog after I have had a migraine.

When I get to work in the morning I can tell you what people had for dinner last night, without having to ask.

So I keep smelling roses and floral smells when I live like 11 stories up and don't have any flowers in my place. But sometimes they are smells from my childhood and other times I smell my grandmother's perfume and cigarettes.

Anyone other peeps have this happen to them?

I remember reading a somewhere that smells are closely tied to memories and are most likley to triger them, maybe your getting this in reverse memories triggering smells

I've had this happen recently. I will smell something from someone who is not there with me physically. It's odd. And it's usually sudden, sneaks up.

Reactions: Azazel
Why is this in the religion section? Are we supposed to debate it?

Why is this in the religion section? Are we supposed to debate it?

Is it potentially a 'discussion of the supernatural'?

I don't think I get this anyway. At least I've never really noticed it.

This is going to sound ridiculous but did you ever hear about clairvoyance? Well, some people do not 'see' things that are not physically there, but 'smell' or 'hear' certain things. A clairvoyant sense of smell, so to speak. I have no personal experience with it, however, but you can look into it if this might be the thing that is going on. I think it is pretty nice though, as long as the triggered memories are nice ones of course :). I love it when someone walks past me on the street and I smell my grandmother's perfume :)

It's really weird you should say that. I've found that if I hold an object and concentrate on the object I get memories from it, letters and names and other things pop in my and astounds people with how accurate I am. I don't do it often because it freaks me out and also I doubt myself and tell myself " It can't be true, I'm not really psychic etc etc "

It's really weird you should say that. I've found that if I hold an object and concentrate on the object I get memories from it, letters and names and other things pop in my and astounds people with how accurate I am. I don't do it often because it freaks me out and also I doubt myself and tell myself " It can't be true, I'm not really psychic etc etc "

Why do you doubt it when it's clear that's a natural thing occurring in your mind? I think it's a wonderful skill! And the positive side is that you can control it. And psychic is a big concept with all sorts of negative and positive connotations, but just see it as it is: a way to get to know and feel certain things just by focussing on an object. It's like a Superwoman skill!

I could out-sniff a sniffer dog after I have had a migraine.

When I get to work in the morning I can tell you what people had for dinner last night, without having to ask.
me too. migraines make me hypersensitive to smell, sound, light, and even the texture of surfaces. moreso than i already am lol

I have horrible recall when it come to scents. Something can smell so familiiar to me and I can't seem to place it. Sometimes a memory crops up that is associated with it and I feel relieved for recalling it. At work, when I'm plating specimens to agar, there is one particular plate that smells incredible familiar and begins to conjure up a memory every time I catch a whiff, but nothing ever does. It drives me insane! I wish I could place it!!!