Sleep awareness

Vilku

Community Member
Feb 8, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1, 7w6, 4w3
i had an interesting dream last night, as usual, while i was dreaming of being child again and shopping for food, i knew i was dreaming, and then i thought of the interesting world i could wake up to if i so desired. Well so i did, i had a gaming machine in my mind how interesting it would be and that motivated me to wake up from my dream, but everything didnt feel right. I tried stretching my muscles by stretching like a cat and then i realized, that i hadnt just woke up, this too was just a dream and soon i would have to wake up to the depressing reality of mine which isnt all exciting like that one. It made me sad, but i decided to wake up anyways, to the reality this time.

Do other people have this kind of awareness while dreaming? I think i really just cant simulate my body in imagination like how it really feels, and thats one way to know im dreaming, apart from generally knowing im asleep because of remembering that i had went to sleep.

The state between sleep world and reality also feels like the surroundings just suddenly change like i was literally warped to another realm, and i quickly forget the previous one.

What are your experiences studying the dreamworld?

It's called lucid dreaming. I do every once in a while. Usually when I realize I am dreaming I immediately wake up. However, sometimes I don't and I start to control the dream at this point.

The weirdest dream experience I've had was this:

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/sleep-paralysis-demon-in-the-bedroom

It felt like there was a demon sitting on my chest and I couldn't breath. I remember lying there with my eyes open and this dark cloudy figure was floating towards me. I wanted to move or scream but I couldn't. Apparently the body paralyzes itself during REM sleep to prevent us from acting out our dreams. And sometimes we wake up still paralyzed and it freaks us out.

The weirdest dream experience I've had was this:

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/sleep-paralysis-demon-in-the-bedroom

It felt like there was a demon sitting on my chest and I couldn't breath. I remember lying there with my eyes open and this dark cloudy figure was floating towards me. I wanted to move or scream but I couldn't. Apparently the body paralyzes itself during REM sleep to prevent us from acting out our dreams. And sometimes we wake up still paralyzed and it freaks us out.

I have had that happen once. It was super freaky!!

Yeah I lucid dream. Some times on purpose.

I usually spot something that makes no sense and then realize it's a dream. Like when I'm driving an invisible car down the road, my mind just throws its hands up and says "BLAH this makes no sense at all!! It must be a dream. It looks really cool though, keep doing it!"