Should you spank kids? | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

Should you spank kids?

@Artemisia needs a spanking
images

Being Asian, spanking here is normal as a disciplinary action. growing up i was spanked on few occasions but my siblings were hardcore experienced with this. My school used to do this as well with sticks when uniform is not same as what they had indicated on the rules. I think it is fine as long as it's not purposely just hitting (to a point that it would be called abuse) i had been disciplined because of this so i got to be an okay person because of it.

Being Asian, spanking here is normal as a disciplinary action. growing up i was spanked on few occasions but my siblings were hardcore experienced with this. My school used to do this as well with sticks when uniform is not same as what they had indicated on the rules. I think it is fine as long as it's not purposely just hitting (to a point that it would be called abuse) i had been disciplined because of this so i got to be an okay person because of it.
I think that’s a good example of a point that was made earlier in the thread, where it’s easy to overlook cultural norms/taboos which can vary widely from continent to country to city to neighborhood to household in relation to our own. I think that overlooking those norms/taboos is something we should be careful not to do regardless of how we each individually, as parents or adults, prefer to enforce discipline in our own households.

I think that’s a good example of a point that was made earlier in the thread, where it’s easy to overlook cultural norms/taboos which can vary widely from continent to country to city to neighborhood to household in relation to our own. I think that overlooking those norms/taboos is something we should be careful not to do regardless of how we each individually, as parents or adults, prefer to enforce discipline in our own households.

when was it they banned spanking?

in my memory i want to say about 20 years ago or something like that

do you think that society has become more or less violent since they banned it?

when was it they banned spanking?

in my memory i want to say about 20 years ago or something like that

do you think that society has become more or less violent since they banned it?
I’m not sure. That’s an intriguing question that I don’t have the answer to. It seems like quite a broad endeavor to meaningfully measure societal violence in relation to the prevalence of spanking. Not saying it can’t be done but I certainly wouldn’t know all the right factors to explore.

I’m not sure. That’s an intriguing question that I don’t have the answer to. It seems like quite a broad endeavor to meaningfully measure societal violence in relation to the prevalence of spanking. Not saying it can’t be done but I certainly wouldn’t know all the right factors to explore.

well spanking is a tool of parents so i guess if you disarm parents in terms of being the primary discipliner in a childs life you have to then replace it with something else

if the parents aren't disciplining the child then i guess it falls to the police and to the state eg prisons

how about the numbers of people in prison?

have they gone up or down since spanking was banned?

1. You calling it "assault" doesn't make it assault. There is a difference between discipline and assault. There is more nuance to this than you seem to be able to comprehend.

No.

"Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" sounds nicer than torture. Arbitrary.
2. "He would not listen", is not code for anything. Your argument is your own visceral response and interpretation to it.

That was just one example. Parents usually act out physically when they are frustrated.

3. Adults are not your children, you do not discipline adults, and you do not discipline other peoples children, there is no argument here. It doesn't apply in any way. You also do not even spank your adult children, by that point it's futile, this is done early on in their childhood.

God. Okay.

Kids aren't property.
Kids are easy victims.

Adults can fight back. lol

Just what does physical punishment accomplish?

Pro:

The behavior may stop.

Cons:

The kid doesn't get a chance to exercise moderation and develop insight. Instead of naturally developing self-control with maturity -- the long, hard way -- the kid just stops [whatever behavior] to avoid being hit. Kids are developing psychologically, learning coping skills, trust, etc. Plus, they are stuck with the abusive adult.

Adults are fair game, not kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkxx
I guess my issue with this whole spanking deal is not really to do with whether or not violence is ok

I guess i see this spanking issue (and a whole load of other issues) as part of a much wider dynamic

So when i look at what is happening around me what i see is the government (the 'state') taking more and more powers away from individuals. In this case it is taking parental powers to discipline their children away from parents

What i don't see is the government taking rights and powers away from the big corporations

So really what we are seeing is individuals becoming more powerless while big corporations (and the government that supports them) become more powerful and i guess my concern is whether or not that is going to lead to a better world or a worse one

What is your position on spanking kids if they don't listen? Were you spanked as a child?

My mother claims my dad slapped me in the face extremely hard at Disney Land. I don't recall this memory but it sounds plausible. I do recall my Mother taking a bar of soap and literally cleaning my mouth with it. I think I turned out fine... I think :grin: I'm undecided.

I used to be spanked as a kid and my whole generation did aswell in fact. But it is a type of tool to control the situation right? not actually fix the problem