Should you spank kids? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Should you spank kids?

Could a rule of thumb be if a parent feels ashamed after spanking his or her child, or if they wouldn't want others to know about it - then they shouldn't do it?

I don't think scientific studies etc. saying it's harmful matters much, if spanking is common procedure within one society. Shame on the other hand, seems to be an effective decision-maker and indicator of what's culturally acceptable?

A mean parent will hurt their children regardless of which legal or illegal method they use as punishment. I just talked to my best friend who was spanked regularly by her stepdad as a kid. It wasn't painful, but incredibly degrading. She preferred being spanked over yelling though, because it would require her to respond the right way for him to stop or not get worse. But the worst punishment was being looked up in the attic. If my parents did that to me, I'd be seriously traumatized :nomouth: I wonder if this kind of punishment increased after spanking got illegal?

Since this is an international forum, I try to be diplomatic, but I can see how my responds looks pro spanking. I'm not, but I don't think people who do spank their children or consider doing it in good intention, deserves the harsh treatment.

Reactions: pzl2lxie81mc
if a childs behaviour got worse as they grew up because they didn't learn boundaries and then they started getting involved in hard drugs and gangs and violence then not disciplining the child didn't do them or society any favours

If a parent has no power to discipline their child then what can they do in extreme cases?

Will the state be kind to their child or will the state just lock their child up in an institution?

In which case would parental discipline be less harmful?

A wild guess would be that most gang members took more than a spanking growing up. And in most cases an example of what violent parenting can lead to. The positive consequence I guess, is that they make excellent gang members!

A wild guess would be that most gang members took more than a spanking growing up. And in most cases an example of what violent parenting can lead to. The positive consequence I guess, is that they make excellent gang members!

but did they?

or is the gang a kind of surrogate for the lack of a father figure?

if they had a role model who kept them on the straight and narrow would they go looking for the wrong kind of machismo in their life?

For example, following their research findings, he said that anti-Semitic views were overwhelmingly associated with a right wing political stance, and suggested some causal basis for this (it's the same personality type which tends towards both).

This might seem intuitively true, but it is in fact a historical construct that we have taken for granted. For instance, you only have to go back to the end of the 19th century in France to find a time when antisemitism was firmly a left wing thing (because 'international Jewry' were thought an integral part of the capitalistic mode of production).

you've said some pretty heavy things!

So who was it on the left that was expressing anti semitic views?

Interesting!

So what has changed on the left?

Well nothing, it's more like the right absorbed antisemitism to fuel nationalism, and then the Holocaust happened. Big Jewish element among October revolutionaries, &c.

so you're saying there was a revolution in russia in 1917 and that there were a lot of jews involved in that?

Yeah, the whole Trotskyist wing.

Here's the evolution: intellectual circles were already heavily populated with Jews because they were over represented in the professions and academia, so when Marxism became a major baby of 'the intellectuals', they thus became associated with the left.

Yeah, the whole Trotskyist wing.

Here's the evolution: intellectual circles were already heavily populated with Jews because they were over represented in the professions and academia, so when Marxism became a major baby of 'the intellectuals', they thus became associated with the left.

that makes sense

when did the nazi party start?

I found this just now on wikipedia. It says that the bolsheviks killed 1.7 million people in 1918!

The Red Terror was a period of political repression and mass killings carried out by Bolsheviks after the beginning of the Russian Civil War in 1918. The term is usually applied to Bolshevik political repression during the whole period of the Civil War (1917–1922),[1][2] as distinguished from the White Terror carried out by the White Army (Russian monarchists). The Cheka (the Bolshevik secret police)[3] carried out the repressions of the Red Terror.[4] Estimates for the total number of people killed during the Red Terror for the initial period of repression are at least 10,000.[5] Estimates for the total number of victims of Bolshevik repression vary widely. One source asserts that the total number of victims of repression and pacification campaigns could be 1.7 million,[6] where as another gives estimates of 28,000 executions per year from December 1917 to February 1922.[7] The most reliable estimations for the total number of killings put the number at about 1,700,000,[8] whereas others suggest a figure of 200,000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror

1.7 million!

That's incredible! Thats a mind bending amount of murders

Is it a coincidence then that a political party formed in neighbouring germany in 1919 that was railing against communism and the jews when 1.7 million people had just been murdered in the country next door by the communists led by a jewish trotskyite faction?

So did the nazis form because of that or was it because there were too many germans handing out spankings to their kids?

Wasn't adorno a jewish communist?

I'm pretty sure he was so we have a jewish communist saying that the reason the nazi party formed was not because of the murder of 1.7 million people in russia by the communists but rather because germans were spanking their kids!

his claim would be funny if it wasn't overshadowed by so much death

@kinglear I’m just going to assist by highlighting the important parts here.

The Red Terror was a period of parental repression and mass spankings carried out by Bolsheviks after the beginning of the Russian Civil War in 1918. The term is usually applied to Bolshevik parental repression during the whole period of the Civil War (1917–1922),[1][2] as distinguished from the White Terror carried out by the White Army (Russian monarchists). The Cheka (the Bolshevik secret police)[3] carried out the repressions of the Red Terror.[4] Estimates for the total number of people spanked during the Red Terror for the initial period of repression are at least 10,000.[5] Estimates for the total number of victims of Bolshevik repression vary widely. One source asserts that the total number of victims of repression and pacification campaigns could be 1.7 million,[6] where as another gives estimates of 28,000 spankings per year from December 1917 to February 1922.[7] The most reliable estimations for the total number of spankings put the number at about 1,700,000,[8] whereas others suggest a figure of 200,000.

The Red Terror was a period of parental repression and mass spankings carried out by Bolsheviks after the beginning of the Russian Civil War in 1918. The term is usually applied to Bolshevik parental repression during the whole period of the Civil War (1917–1922),[1][2] as distinguished from the White Terror carried out by the White Army (Russian monarchists). The Cheka (the Bolshevik secret police)[3] carried out the repressions of the Red Terror.[4] Estimates for the total number of people spanked during the Red Terror for the initial period of repression are at least 10,000.[5] Estimates for the total number of victims of Bolshevik repression vary widely. One source asserts that the total number of victims of repression and pacification campaigns could be 1.7 million,[6] where as another gives estimates of 28,000 spankings per year from December 1917 to February 1922.[7] The most reliable estimations for the total number of spankings put the number at about 1,700,000,[8] whereas others suggest a figure of 200,000.

Lmao!!!

ok so far we have the bolsheviks topping the league table as the biggest spankers of children followed closely by the nazis....