Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
I live in Australia - and recently there have been a number of shark attacks.

To see a British news article on the attacks:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/15/australia-sydney-shark-attacks-race

I know that I am far more likely to die or be injured in a motor vehicle accident than I am by being attacked by a shark (I like to snorkle and swim in the ocean). But after hearing about recent shark attacks and especially after seeing the following video, I am getting a phobia of the water.

I know that I am just being caught up in media hype and public hysteria, but what can you do about it?

Warning - this video is of a shark attack and it's pretty graphic.
[youtube]qfGvwCiaXTI[/youtube]

Fear stops you from truly living, you said yourself that you're more likely to die from something else, after all, what about the guy who punched a shark in the face?

Just put qfGvwCiaXTI between the tags (I think).

Yeah, like you said, you should be more worried about driving to the beach than going for a swim. Being Australian I thought you'd be used to it, death is around every corner over there...:thumb:

Death is around every corner, EVERYWHERE!!! It's such a prankster!

I know.... but there's death and then there's being attacked by a shark. *shiver*

Quinlan - there are a lot of dangerous animals (mammals, arachnids etc) in Australia - but after having lived in the U.S. for a few years there is one thing I noticed. Here there are generally no land animals that will ever attack you - they are more defensive here. But in the U.S. lots of animals will attack - plus there is always rabies (Australia and Antarctica are the only major land-masses without rabies).

Good god, can you imagine a rabid Kangaroo? Not pretty.

*shudders* I watched my Mom get attacked by my rabid cat, Macky. It was Christmas eve, two o clock in the morning, and she had to go to the hospital, man I have crazy luck. I would crap my pants if a rabid kangaroo came at me!

The box jellyfish comes seasonally though. There are newspaper warnings.

There are no sharks up in the ocean where I am. The Crocs get them.

[YOUTUBE]V2gIvMYWx3c[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Great Whites prefer cooler water anyway?

Warmer. They're cold blooded animals and can't survive long in cold water.

Not true, they spend a lot of time down around Stewert Island (bloody freezin') and the Auckland Islands (F###en freezing!!!).

Great white sharks live in almost all coastal and offshore waters which have a water temperature of between 12 and 24° C (54° to 75° F).

Streetsharks.jpg

much more dangerous

lol