Shared dominant judging/perceiving functions between types | INFJ Forum

Shared dominant judging/perceiving functions between types

rainrise

Community Member
Mar 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Will types generally relate, understand, or resemble each other more if they share a dominant perceiving function (e.g. between INFJ and INTJ who both prefer Ni), or if they share a dominant judging function (e.g. between INFP and ISFP who both prefer Fi)?

It is said that because the perceiving function describes how a type receives information about the inner/outer world and therefore how they understand it in a sense, N-types usually get along better with N-types and S-types usually get along better with S-types simply because they perceive the world through the same lens.

Does this mean that types that sharing same perceiving function (N or S), brings two types closer as opposed to if they shared the judging function (T or F)? For instance, would there be more similarities between the INFJ and the INTJ than between the INFP and ISFP in this case?

Does whether the introverted/extroverted nature of either the dominant and secondary perceiving/judging function (e.g. Si or Se, Ti or Te) make a difference? In other words, would there also be more similarites between the ENTP and the ENFP than between the ENFJ and ESFJ?

Where's the experts when you need 'em...?

G-O! Von! Lurker! Indigo! Get yer butts in here...

Whenever an ISFP turns evil or goes crazy they turn into INFPs.

That's how INFPs are born.

Reactions: acd
Whenever an ISFP turns evil or goes crazy they turn into INFPs.

That's how INFPs are born.

i thought they turn into scary ENTJs?

I think that it's very possible for that to be true. Even if you look at it basically, two people gathering the same information are more likely to come near the same conclusion, as opposed to if they started off looking at the information differently.

But I think it has more to do with how they relate, rather than how well. Perceiving buddies will probably have more similar mannerisms and ways of reacting to things. Judging buddies will probably have more similar goals and interests.

If you look at it that way, people who share the perceiving may find each others' company more comfortable and easier to understand and relate to. And although those people who share the judging may have similar methods of attacking a problem, they may not understand from what basis the other is coming from -- an ISFP and an INFP might both want to be true to themselves and whatnot, but they may find difficulty in relating to why the other acts the way they do.

It is great having a Fi dom on my side as they are so stubborn and unrelenting but when we go head to head it is huge clash of wills and stubborness and nothing gets achieved.

I guess it would depend on which is more developed their N or S or T or F.
Idk tho, I think if your an INFP with less developed N your more likely to get along with ISFPs really well while if your an INFP with a more developed N and possibly less developed F your more likely to get on better with INTPs.
Oh I see what your saying . . . that's tricky.
I'd say they'd relate to issues regarding that function. Like if an INFP for example want to excersize their N function in a talk about phillosophy they'd take the INTP over the ISFP, but if they wanted someone to understand their feelings it would be the other way round.
wait . . . sry I still don't know the terminology to well. I might be a little confused.

Last edited:
I think that it's very possible for that to be true. Even if you look at it basically, two people gathering the same information are more likely to come near the same conclusion, as opposed to if they started off looking at the information differently.

But I think it has more to do with how they relate, rather than how well. Perceiving buddies will probably have more similar mannerisms and ways of reacting to things. Judging buddies will probably have more similar goals and interests.

If you look at it that way, people who share the perceiving may find each others' company more comfortable and easier to understand and relate to. And although those people who share the judging may have similar methods of attacking a problem, they may not understand from what basis the other is coming from -- an ISFP and an INFP might both want to be true to themselves and whatnot, but they may find difficulty in relating to why the other acts the way they do.

ahh that makes so much sense :)