Shai Gar Tax Revision Challenge | INFJ Forum

Shai Gar Tax Revision Challenge

S

Shai Gar

Less than $20.00/Hour = 0.00c on the dollar
$20.00/H - $25.00/H = 0.10c on the dollar
$25.00/H - $30.00/H = 0.15c on the dollar
More than $30.00/H = 0.35c on the dollar

The Challenge is to create a corresponding taxation rate for salary workers, given that they are paid by the year, rather than by the hour. Keep it fair to both salary workers, and hourly workers, to keep decent purchasing power in the hands of workers so that the economy can boom.

Excellent - if tax were no longer indexed to total income, but to the rate of pay, it would encourage people to work more hours and more jobs, which in turn would increase competetiveness in the jobs market, which drives the demand for higher education and trade skills.

Ultimately a more sophisiticated work-force will be the only thing which can preserve our standard of living, as large third world countries improve their economies.

Precisely. I earn 22 an hour, and 88grand a year. I should not be taxed the same as an exec that works a mere 38hours a week. This would also help single mothers working long hours for their kids.

However, this only works for fulltime, part time, casual and Labourhire. Salary needs to be taKen into account because they are paid by the year, and have an unsure hours per work week.

What about people who are self-employed or own small businesses, or who have rental income?

In those situations, you sometimes wind up working almost 24/7, and you may or may not even get paid, so it sort of makes it hard to convert it to anything hourly.

In the states, if you are self-employed or own a small business, you must pay self-employment tax, which is effectively paying into unemployment benefits for people who lose their jobs. But, if your business fails, or is impacted by a bad economy, you are not able to collect unemployment benefits for yourself. This seems grossly unfair!

(Not sure what it's like in Australia, though.)

(Not sure if you want input from the US or if this is just for Australian taxpayers)

Excellent - if tax were no longer indexed to total income, but to the rate of pay, it would encourage people to work more hours and more jobs, which in turn would increase competetiveness in the jobs market, which drives the demand for higher education and trade skills.

Ultimately a more sophisiticated work-force will be the only thing which can preserve our standard of living, as large third world countries improve their economies.
You really believe this stuff, dontya.

What about people who are self-employed or own small businesses, or who have rental income?

In those situations, you sometimes wind up working almost 24/7, and you may or may not even get paid, so it sort of makes it hard to convert it to anything hourly.

If government wanted to stimulate small business, perhaps the personal rate of an owner/operator should be their total income averaged out over 16hr days/6days a week. Rentals and capital gains should perhaps be taxed as is, because increases in these kind of investments are linked to high rates of borrowing.

I would not change small business or self employment tax. If you aren't smart enough to work the system, screw you...

Less than $20.00/Hour = 0.00c on the dollar
$20.00/H - $25.00/H = 0.10c on the dollar
$25.00/H - $30.00/H = 0.15c on the dollar
More than $30.00/H = 0.35c on the dollar

The Challenge is to create a corresponding taxation rate for salary workers, given that they are paid by the year, rather than by the hour. Keep it fair to both salary workers, and hourly workers, to keep decent purchasing power in the hands of workers so that the economy can boom.

How about Salary / 200 = tax. That would roughly correspond to the above hourly rates, and people who make RIDICULOUS salaries (ie. athletes) get to contribute more to society.

I would not change small business or self employment tax. If you aren't smart enough to work the system, screw you...

And by "work the system" what do you mean? Because that sounds suspiciously like "tax evasion" and "breaking laws". Is that what you mean?

you simply count yourself as an employee and pay yourself $20.00 an hour at 20 hours a week, add benefits such as health insurance and company vehicles.

You pay tax from what is left over.

Oh, I see.

There are a lot of different ways to structure a company or a small business, and in some cases, in the U.S., counting yourself as an employee is not possible/legal. And incorporating yourself can be problematic as well -- you wind up paying more taxes.

Must look into it more, it's very complex and the laws are always changing.

Ugh, taxes.

Oh, I see.

There are a lot of different ways to structure a company or a small business, and in some cases, in the U.S., counting yourself as an employee is not possible/legal. And incorporating yourself can be problematic as well -- you wind up paying more taxes.

Must look into it more, it's very complex and the laws are always changing.

Ugh, taxes.
Do you really need to be an ENTP to work your way around that? Assume it's possible.

No, of course I don't need to be an ENTP to work my way around this.

I've done a great deal of reading on the subject, in fact, and it is something I'm continuously interested in. There are aspects of my situation that you are not aware of. Assume you don't know everything.

Not too much, honestly. I have heard of setting up trusts and have a general idea what it involves.

I considered making my 6- and 3-year-olds employees, but the government is already onto that little trick. (curse them) LOL!

I do know I need to look into the tax issue further.

Some taxes are fine by me, but currently if you count federal, state, local, property and sales taxes, well over half our income; probably more like 60%, goes to taxes, and it irks me. We are not entitled to (full) unemployment, and the social security fund is likely to go bust by the time we are old enough, and we work hard, and have for a long time, and are not exactly robber baron elites, either. So yes, I am interested in tax issues and I'm annoyed with myself that I haven't figured something better out!!

And at the moment (April $%^-ing 16th) I am unusually annoyed about it. But I don't mean to dominate your thread with my complaining! I'm sure some people have excellent ideas and I'd be glad to hear them.