Scientists prove animals have rich emotional and cognitive lives | INFJ Forum

Scientists prove animals have rich emotional and cognitive lives

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Since the person I'm working with/for was featured in this article, I feel the need to post it (especially for all you New Zealanders out there!)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/food/news/article.cfm?c_id=206&objectid=10763963

A conference of animal lovers had just heard how even chickens feel pleasure and have a life worth living.

Delegates had also adjusted to the uncomfortable information that 300 chickens are killed for food every second in America - and 90 million a year in New Zealand.
So when Agriculture Minister David Carter urged people not to let emotion get in the way of science in the battery hen debate there was some eye-rolling and head-shaking, though the mood remained polite, as it had throughout the conference.

Mr Carter, a farmer, was fronting for what is called the Great Debate, held at the end of the 22nd annual Companion Animal Conference (this year's theme was The Joyous World of Animals) and sat alongside some of the lawyers who fight animal abuse cases free for the SPCA.
One of them, John Haigh, QC, wasn't having the minister's comments.

"How can you remove the emotional issue when you're dealing with animals who are confined in this way?" he asked.

And keynote speaker Dr Jonathan Balcombe, an American biologist who lived in New Zealand as a child, and who has written books about the inner lives of animals, stood to tell Mr Carter the science is already clear.

"I would reiterate my phrase, sentience [the capacity to feel, from pleasure and joy to pain] is the bedrock of ethics and the science does show now that animals have rich emotional and cognitive lives and therefore they ought to be accorded the kind of considerations that we accord our own species, and that's what's relevant.

Reactions: acd
Animals are delicious.

Reactions: This and Norton
Duh. We always knew animals are capable of these
facets. We're well aware our own emotions and cognitions.

Doesn't look to me like the thread title is correct. Seems like scientists have found evidence that supports such, but I think the evidence is far from "proving".

In my very subjective intuitive opinion, I don't think animals like chickens and cows have "rich" emotional and cognitive lives, at least not to the extent I'd used the word "rich". I think they have enough of an emotional life that we shouldn't farm them and eat them though. I compare them to dogs. I'm pretty sure dogs have feelings and such. I'd imagine chickens and cows are not quite as aware, but can't be too far off.

If I couldn't eat animals, I would be emotionally damaged if not protein deficient. This is true of all the world's predators.

I've always believed that animals have emotional lives and are capable of having emotional connections.
I won't say that eating meat is immoral or wrong, it provides essential nutrients and the reality is that organisms consume one another.. I do think that animals should be respected and treated as living creatures and not products on an assembly line, though. There is a way to consume animals that does not include torturing them, which is what I think agribusiness does to them.

If anyone is interested, the book Diet for a New America by John Robbins is pretty good..

Last edited:
I think whether or not animals (other than humans) have the capacity for deeper-than-surface feelings is a moot point. Besides, exactly what is our basis of caparison when you look at our human examples?

[video=youtube_share;61WkeY9Jcvw]http://youtu.be/61WkeY9Jcvw[/video]

Now I have sound logical reasoning in being a vegetarian. But seriously, did we need science to prove that? I thought anyone that has had a pet or worked with animals would of found this obvious.
However, the title is running into the error of humanizing animals. Yes, animals have emotions and experience pain, but not to the same degree or level of understanding and complexity as human beings. But on that note, I would rather not eat them. Not that I have anything against anyone that does, just as long as the animal is respected as its own individual creature. As humans and as the head of the food chain, we owe them at least that.

Excuse me while I discuss this over a ham sandwich.