Science Quiz | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Science Quiz

[video=youtube;y8mzDvpKzfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8mzDvpKzfY[/video]

[video=youtube;y8mzDvpKzfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8mzDvpKzfY[/video]

I remember learning this.

This video is SO awesome and makes me very happy. That is an awesome dad. I'm actually a little teary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis

Water is getting absorbed into the peach and diluting the sugar.

All that sweet juice inside the peach is made of solute liquid. Water is a solvent for sugar. When osmosis happens through a membrane, the solvent goes from the solvent side of the membrane into the solute side. When boiled slightly the water moves across the peach and gets sucked in via osmosis, lowering its detectable sweetness.

This is why poached fruits are often done with alcohol or another sweetened solution.

This is the right answer!

The peach is less sweet because there is more water. Also, the peach would be greater in size!

Here are some more from their archive!

1. When children blow bubbles, why are they always spherical?

2. How do cats purr?

3. When Mount St Helens erupted, the explosion was equivalent to millions of tonnes of explosives. Yet, the noise was not heard within 100k of the volcano. Why not?

4. How do ducks stay warm?

I know the answers to these...but these two don't have the answers posted! So guess away if you like :)

a. If you run a tap, and put an object in the sink near the flowing water, the stream will migrate to, and eventually over, the object. Why?

b. How is it that water can drop below the freezing point and not freeze?

1. The bubbles are spherical because the pressure inside the soap is the same as the atmospheric pressure outside it, and it is the same at every point so the curvature is uniform.

2. Cats purr when air escapes through their vocal folks and oscillates, which causes a vibration. That sound is actually too low for us to hear, but the movement causes other parts of their throats to vibrate, and that produces the sound that we hear.

3. When the explosion happened, the material blowing out compressed the air and moved it upwards, so there was a sound but people couldn't hear it. Then the compression waves regrouped and came back down more slowly and created a sound that was audible.

4. Bird feathers have millions of tiny structures called barbs and barbules. These structures lock together to form millions of tiny spaces. Suface tension causes tiny drops of water to stick to these structures and trap air inside the tiny spaces in the feathers. Because the air is trapped inside the feathers, no more water can get in. The air in the feathers keep the duck afloat AND insulate it against the cold.

Today's question:

If you put an egg in a glass of tap water, it will sink to the bottom. How can you get it to rise to the top, without touching the egg?

Put the glass in the freezer and lower the water's temp to just above freezing. the water will become denser and the egg will rise.

2. Cats purr when air escapes through their vocal folks and oscillates, which causes a vibration. That sound is actually too low for us to hear, but the movement causes other parts of their throats to vibrate, and that produces the sound that we hear.

Hey seriously no one knows how cats purr. Its still a mystery. Some even think their heart may be doing it.

http://www.livescience.com/32286-how-do-cats-purr.html

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12312/how-do-cats-purr

Last edited:
Today's question:
If you put an egg in a glass of tap water, it will sink to the bottom. How can you get it to rise to the top, without touching the egg?
add a ton of salt... make the solution more dense.

Peach: bah, the question gave the distinct impression of NO sugar, not diminished. I was barking up the wrong tree the whole time.

Volcano: waves of energy bend around objects and do all sorts of things. Spraying the energy up is all fine and dandy but it will NEVER sequester in an upward cone. The ground all the way around will get a piece of that. Now i'm inclined to believe the energy that hit the ground didn't osculate in an audible range. We might not of heard it but it's possible other species did.

add a ton of salt... make the solution more dense.

Peach: bah, the question gave the distinct impression of NO sugar, not diminished. I was barking up the wrong tree the whole time.

Volcano: waves of energy bend around objects and do all sorts of things. Spraying the energy up is all fine and dandy but it will NEVER sequester in an upward cone. The ground all the way around will get a piece of that. Now i'm inclined to believe the energy that hit the ground didn't osculate in an audible range. We might not of heard it but it's possible other species did.

I believe the volcano response is a simplified version of what the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry have found ( http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/msh/lateral.html ):

Subsequent studies by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry demonstrated a so-called "quiet zone" around Mount St. Helens, extending radially a few tens of miles, in which the eruption was not heard. The creation of the "quiet zone" and the degree to which the eruption was heard elsewhere depended on the complex response of the eruption sound waves to differences in temperature and air motion of the atmospheric layers and, to a lesser extent, local topography.

Interesting! I should have listen to the actual answer, as he may have said that it's not 'known' just speculated!

Also...I don't know how he comes up with all these questions!

Sounds to me like "Bob" is creating the world to be what he "wants" and not by whats "real". Tell "Bob" I have my eye on him. Well not really, just in spirit. :D

I believe the volcano response is a simplified version of what the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry have found ( http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/msh/lateral.html ):
Quoted Article said:
The creation of the "quiet zone" and the degree to which the eruption was heard elsewhere depended on the complex response of the eruption sound waves to differences in temperature and air motion of the atmospheric layers and, to a lesser extent, local topography.

Now that is a curious bit of physics! How cool is that! =)

Gratz to [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] for having the answer that most closely matched theirs!

Still, it looks like I wasn't entirely off.

It blew off half a mountain. and I doubt getting caught up in the explosion accelerated the local air to mach 1 toward ground zero. I'm gonna stick with heat. that made a huge noise!!! -compression waves, whatever. But it wouldn't transmute if the air were too thin. Lost in the ambient motion is my answer.

Sounds to me like "Bob" is creating the world to be what he "wants" and not by whats "real". Tell "Bob" I have my eye on him. Well not really, just in spirit. :D

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

BOB WOULD NEVER DO SUCH A THING!!!

How dare you taint Bob's name! HOW DARE YOU!!! :p

Gratz to [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] for having the answer that most closely matched theirs!

Oh! I think you all have gotten most of them, if not all, right so far!

Oh! I think you all have gotten most of them, if not all, right so far!
I'll claim not far off on a few. =) Didn't even try with purring. lol Had no clue. Thought is was different from vocalization. Apparently, that's where it originates from. Was wrong about peach... I'm not doing too bad. :hippie:

Ah, well I knew air movement had to be involved but it was still a guess as to how it was involved. I didn't actually know how it worked.

My conclusion is somewhat logical in a very general sense but it was missing a lot. The blast wave where air is moving faster than sound lasts only a very short time, milliseconds, before the extended shockwave takes effect. A blast wave is a shock wave but not all shock waves are blast waves. The blast wave is the actual explosive force that initially happens which pushes the air faster than sound, but this dissipates so quickly that it ususally does not disturb sound all that much. Normally in air the explosion sound simply goes BANG so there had to be more reasons.

This week: Why do older credit cards need to have a plastic bag put over the magnetic strip in order for them to work in a card reader?

Last week: When a large vessel is sinking ... why do you NOT want to be close to it?