Satya's fondness of religion continues... | INFJ Forum

Satya's fondness of religion continues...

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Satya, May 22, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Satya
  1. Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/21/malawi-church-welcomes-se_n_585639.html

    And God said unto his people, "Sentence two men who have done nothing to harm anyone but show public love for one another to 14 years hard labor in prison, for that is moral and righteous in my eyes."
     
  2. Wyote

    Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    246
    Messages:
    37,755
    Featured Threads:
    19
    Likes Received:
    206,468
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    Yea I saw this the other day. Really infuriating. I feel like I need to do something about this, but have no idea where to start.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. just me

    just me GONE

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    228
    Messages:
    12,614
    Featured Threads:
    22
    Likes Received:
    8,472
    Trophy Points:
    1,121
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    not here
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Nothing personal, but people do not agree on everything. What is fine with some is immoral to others. That is truth. Some people cannot accept that.

    Some places in the world will never accept certain things others see as being alright, whatever that may be.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    It doesn't stop Christians from trying. Why should it stop gays or anyone else?
     
  5. Daeledin

    Daeledin <font color=#575EC1>NVs Fanboi</font>

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    69
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    In the comment section of your link I saw something about Madonna so I googled it.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...ng_gay_couple_to_14_years_hard_labor_for.html

    Celebrity support; this won't go away for a little while. We'll probably get an update on this when they appeal, and most likely fail.

    I don't know what to say about this one. Just that I do care about how this turns out. Even though it is in another part of the world and they hold their traditional beliefs. Criminality and legal definitions set the tone and course of a nation. Even If appealing the trial changes any part of the law it won't change the social stigma overnight. That's okay, change takes time. At least those two men wouldn't be persecuted by their country for doing nothing wrong.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. just me

    just me GONE

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    228
    Messages:
    12,614
    Featured Threads:
    22
    Likes Received:
    8,472
    Trophy Points:
    1,121
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    not here
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Sorry I was out last night.

    Christians are not the only people that see certain things as immoral.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. VH

    VH Variable Hybrid

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Threads:
    252
    Messages:
    4,830
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    855
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Justifying your prejudices against a group based on the actions of individuals is wrong and you know it.

    If someone were to point at the actions of criminals that were of a certain race as evidence of that race being criminals, it would be racist. When a man or a woman does something stupid, to assume that their behavior reflects their entire gender is sexist. When a politician is caught doing something immoral, it is foolish to accuse their whole party of the same. When a gay person has sex with an underage boy, does that mean all gays are pedophiles? Of course not.

    These finger pointing stunts just make you look prejudiced and petty.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,047
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,626
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    ^^
    This.
     
  9. OP
    Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    You are wrong. Your other examples are simply incomparable. The fact of the matter is that all prejudice towards gays can ultimately be reduced down into religious arguments. Religion can be generalized in this fashion because it is and only is religion that makes homosexuality an issue.

    Find me one antigay atheist.
     
  10. VH

    VH Variable Hybrid

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Threads:
    252
    Messages:
    4,830
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    855
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    I'm invalidating an excuse for your hatred.

    And no, it's not religion that is the only thing that makes homosexuality an issue. Many straight males in the world are made uncomfortable by homosexuality on a gut level. The problem is, some of them use religion as an excuse to justify their feelings... kinda like what you've been doing all this time, using these examples to justify your feelings.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    88chaz88 likes this.
  11. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,222
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    How very true.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. OP
    Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    Bullshit. There is no evidence that people are born homophobic. They are socialized to be that way. And what is the source of that socialization? Religion.

    But hey, it is easy to prove me wrong. Find some anti gay atheists out there. And no, I don't mean atheists who don't support gay marriage, but atheists who are like FA and think the practice of homosexuality is "stupid" and worth fighting on moral grounds.
     
  13. The Jester

    > justifying your actions of hatred by referring to a non-existing deity. (Or to a fairy-tale book written about the non-existing deity)
     
  14. VH

    VH Variable Hybrid

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Threads:
    252
    Messages:
    4,830
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    855
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    People are in fact born homophobic, Satya. It is human nature to be intolerant of anything that defies that individual's own instincts. Civilization, education, and tolerance are the reason society accepts homosexuality in our modern era. The problem isn't that religion is teaching people to be intolerant. The problem is that people who refuse to become tolerant have a tendency to use religion as an excuse for their natural instincts when they can't validate them otherwise. The fact that religion teaches people to be tolerant is the biggest reason homosexuals aren't persecuted worse in the free world by teaching people to overcome their gut reactions, be they offense at people who are different, the urge to steal, rape, murder, or whatever else. The ethical and moral lessons that have helped forge the civilization we now have are the results of the influence of religion. You're very clearly attacking religion as a whole because of the actions of a few who are practicing it incorrectly, and that's just as wrong as claiming black people are violent and stupid because there are numerous examples of black people who are uneducated commiting violent crime. Crime is just as much a choice as religion. Or to take it even further, it is wrong to assume gay men all want to have sex with little boys because there are numerous instances of homosexuals raping little boys. Who we have sexual relationships with is a choice (note: I'm not saying who we are attracted to is a choice, just what we choose to do about our attraction), just like the choice to follow a religion. You can choose to be responsible, ethical, and mature in your choices no matter what your instincts may say about them.

    ...and I know several atheists who are very 'grossed out' by homosexuality, and tease them about it frequently. I'm a minister and I have more gay friends than they do. Why? Because religion teaches people to be tolerant. If you're using religion to validate intolerance, you're using it wrong.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #14 VH, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  15. OP
    Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    Bull. Homosexuality was practiced quite openly in Greek and Roman societies before Christianity. Furthermore, there are primitive tribes that are supportive of homosexuality and ones that are adamantly opposed to it. If your argument of "natural instincts" were true, then every society would have homophobic people in it, but that simply is not the case. How one feels about sexuality is entirely socialized by one's respective culture. There is no "natural instinct" against homosexual behavior. If you have evidence of such, I would love to see it, but it sounds like you are trying to justify homophobia by saying it has natural roots. I don't know why you feel the need to justify it, because there is no rational justification for it. If a person has no interest in such behavior, then they simply can choose not to practice it. There is no reason for them to concern themselves with the behavior of others as long as it does not infringe on their rights.

    And no matter how many times you try to repeat your examples, they are irrelevant because they are incomparable. Unless of course you are trying to claim that there is a natural instinct for people to hate black people.

    Most religions advocate against homosexuality because most religions want to grow. They can't grow unless people procreate and indoctrinate more children into the religion and homosexuality stands in the way of that. Maybe as a minister you are a bit threatened that I am attacking religion as a whole for inspiring homopobia, but that is the reality. Just because some people try to use it to advocate tolerance for gay people doesn't change the bottom line. Just look in your Bible and you can see in black and white that it says that homosexuality is a sin, worthy of death.
     
  16. VH

    VH Variable Hybrid

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Threads:
    252
    Messages:
    4,830
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    855
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    I think homosexuality is your religion, and you're offended by heretics.

    I suppose it's easier to justify intolerance than to let go of it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. OP
    Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    No, reason is my religion. Unfortunately, religion is sorely lacking in it. And yes, I'm offended by the irrational. Especially when they go locking up people for 14 years for simply loving someone of the same sex.

    I've spent much of my life trying to be tolerant of the intolerant. Why should I be?

    Furthermore, I want to see evidence of these "natural instincts" of which you are proclaiming. Why don't these instincts extend to your other examples? Why isn't there a natural instinct for white people to find black people to be icky and disgusting? Why isn't there a natural instinct for most people to think gays are pedophiles? Why is there only a natural instinct for straight males to find gays to be disgusting?
     
  18. VH

    VH Variable Hybrid

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Threads:
    252
    Messages:
    4,830
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    855
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    And you often attack the irrational with the same mechanisms that the religious use to attack those who don't agree with theirs.

    Which I agree is bullshit. Yes, the minister said it is bullshit.

    Because tolerance isn't conditional.

    Unfortunately, these things do exist and are one of the reasons why people cling to them in the face of reason to the contrary.

    Not everyone has these specific instincts you've mentioned and the multitude of others along the same lines, but they certainly exist in various people, because it is human nature to have an instinct to be repelled by that which offends our own instincts. Most people are repelled by the idea of eating poop, and are grossed out by people who do. Obviously, this is an extreme example, but the mechanism is the same and occurs in people in proportion to the strength of those instincts. I'm not trying to justify these behaviors, simply explain why they exist, as well as point out that religion is one of the biggest reasons why we as a civilization seek to overcome them.

    I'd love it if you could become more tolerant of religion, even if you don't learn how to be tolerant of individual people who are ignorant.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #18 VH, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
    Flavus Aquila likes this.
  19. enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    289
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    God help you. :)P) When someone says stupidity is sin or evil (eg: one ENTJ i know), I think wow they must be walking around quite pissed every day.

    On-topic: yeah, bigotry is everywhere, in religion, in atheism, in homophobes, in homosexuals ; and people eagerly proclaim what is natural and what is choice, excluding the possibility that it may be neither.

    And by the way, why is it called homophobia? That should mean someone who has a phobia of those who are the same as him/her; or has phobia of sameness, why presume sexuality whenever the homo is present; our species is called homo too. Linguistics is such a mess..
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. OP
    Satya

    Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Threads:
    540
    Messages:
    7,278
    Likes Received:
    546
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INXP
    It is difficult when it is so often used as a tool of oppression. Am I not entitled to the same wisdom of repugnance towards religion that you claim that others are entitled towards homosexuality, race, etc. That is ultimately what you mean by "natural instincts" right?

    Okay, if you want a broad definition of the origins of homophobia, then the wisdom of repugnance is it. But religion has been built on wisdom of repugnance. Religion finds its foundations in wisdom of repugnance. The two are pretty much one in the same. They both believe that great, divinely inspired wisdom can gleaned from the emotion of revulsion. Yes, this "instinct" keeps most humans from having sex with their own family members, eating other humans, desecrating corpses, and consuming their own fecal matter, but all those acts have rational arguments that can be made against them. There is no such rational argument to be made against homosexuals.
     
Loading...

Share This Page