Sad Melancholy Thread | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Sad Melancholy Thread

heartbreak-quotes.jpg

Hello everyone!

From what I've noticed and observed, introverted types (some at least) have a deep attraction towards things that are quite hauntingly sad, nostalgic, bittersweet, and dark---especially myself who I find darkness beautiful and calming, similarly to a moth to a flame.

I've noticed a pattern within myself on this forum that I have the tendency on posting some songs that are either sad or nostalgic---or pictures that are rainy, dark, and quite somber---especially autumn-like scenery. It's not that I am a sad person, quite the opposite really; it is just that I find the whole concept of darkness extremely calming and therapeutic; which sounds really odd, but it's true! I don't know how to really explain or conceptualize it.

There is something about sadness that has that enriching sense of "realness" that is incredibly intriguing and very human. Is it because us introverted types are so familiar with being alone and isolated that the feeling of melancholy and sadness is our familiar companion?

Or is it because INFJs like the connections of the unknown and unseen?

Do also share your perspectives if you'd like! I am very curious to what all of you think regarding this topic. :relaxed:

Anyways, this thread is for us folks that love anything dark, haunting, nostalgic, and sad. May it be songs, art, pictures, poetry, movie scenes, etc! Anything! :)

I will go first.

8d2453140c04b8cdd54d238f6a9ddc94.jpg

I live in a tropical country and never experience how autumn's like, but I don't know why I love that autumn 'sad melancholy nostalgic vibe'
Anyway, i don't know why I love that sadness dark vibe etc (not that extreme darkness tho, for example portishead or massive attack for me are quite intense) but I suspect, for me, its because it has sense of struggle, heroism, living 'different' way and different time maybe (imagining how it feels to live in old times maybe 18th century). Oh and the secret waiting to be unveil too. There's always something to discover behind all that sadness, pain...or mybe I just like to romanticize everything
Its like there is this giant sadness inside me since I was a child that I dont know what but its there so maybe thats why Im attracted to those mentioned.
Knowing how I live my life, maybe because its been so deep identified with me, i tend to choose the hard way, almost felt like I subconsciously sabotage my own life to become harder, sadder, I don't know.... I just don't do the easy way...

i tend to choose the hard way, almost felt like I subconsciously sabotage my own life to become harder, sadder, I don't know.... I just don't do the easy way...

giphy.gif

I live in a tropical country and never experience how autumn's like, but I don't know why I love that autumn 'sad melancholy nostalgic vibe'

I love autumn - its both lovely and sad and it's my favourite season. It can echo inner melancholy as well but that's not its real soul - it's part of the great cycle of life and death. The old year is starting to fade, yes, and that is sad, but then after winter everything starts again in a new cycle and it's all part of the great dance - and each of us starts again, in a way, each new year. That's why autumn sadness is also joyful and full of hope. Just like this that Rowan Tree posted.

I love autumn - its both lovely and sad and it's my favourite season. It can echo inner melancholy as well but that's not its real soul - it's part of the great cycle of life and death. The old year is starting to fade, yes, and that is sad, but then after winter everything starts again in a new cycle and it's all part of the great dance - and each of us starts again, in a way, each new year. That's why autumn sadness is also joyful and full of hope. Just like this that Rowan Tree posted.

Ur post is beautiful. Thank you :grinning:

I’ve been following with greatest interest the rapid development of “emo rap” over the last few years. I think the genre is still in its infancy, and sure, the attitudes and lyrics often come across as simplistic and kind of cringey, sometimes even “fake deep”. But I think it still reflects a real craving of certain artists in the genre to break into that vital emotional territory, to tackle difficult topics like depression, and stop hiding constantly behind the veil of proud machismo. I look forward to seeing where this will go next.