Retarded. | INFJ Forum

Retarded.

Paladin-X

Permanent Fixture
May 2, 2012
MBTI
XXXX
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Society is becoming degenerative due in part by its sensitivities to words or expressions. It is not to say that it should be socially acceptable to say negative words carelessly about, but I think some of the sensitivity towards the words should be reduced.

To be offended by one's word choices, especially when not used within a context specifically directed at and intended to hurt people, is asinine. Remove the feeling from the word itself and add it instead to a specific context with which the word is used.

Too many people are having to be ever vigilant against what they say for fear of offending someone. This fear leads to anxiety. This anxiety leads to anger. This anger, you guessed it, leads to the dark side and the continued use of words in a hurtful manner. When one word becomes taboo, another is made to be hurtful. Thus grows exponentially, the language taboo lexicon.

NOTE: I do not mean to offend anyone or take away from anyone's personal pain. I myself have been bullied most of pre-adult life. I have been called retarded ( that one hurts the most) among other names. I am an English-speaking Canadian that grew up in Quebec, a primarily French-speaking population. I was chased around, beat up, had guns in my face, etc etc only because I was an English-speaking person. I went to the largest English-speaking high school in Quebec, where I was then bullied by English-speaking people too. I know the pain of being called names and such. NOTE2: It has taken many years and much contemplation of humility to begin to remove the stigma that all French people are bad. Only bad people are bad. And even those, society created them.

I pose this question to you... if violence begets violence, anger begets anger, and hate begets hate, where does the cycle stop?

Be not hateful towards the word itself, but hateful when inappropriately and intentionally used to hurt another. Else one day we will have no words left to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
Or perhaps the lesson learned for being called out on the use of your words leads to enlightenment.

I'm glad I don't hear people refer to someone as Darkie or Nappy Head and other vulgar terms.

I would have just stopped at "don't be hateful'
That seems to sum up the whole kit and kaboodle in a short message.
Language can certainly be hateful.
Call me a Squaw and I will let you know that your word choice is racist and unacceptable in my eyes and I hope the lesson you learn isn't to whine about your own stress level.

Some terms are made up with the sole intention of causing hurt. I agree with you though. Retard, idiot, dumb, fag, gay, etc have real meanings. And even when the meaning is skewed inappropriately, there is no harm in the skewed meaning of the word until it is directed to hurt. I often like to say "I fail at life" when I make a mistake. I do not believe I actually fail at life. I am amused by the facetious comparison. When my buddy calls me dumb for something dumb I did, I know that he does not then believe that I am dumb, only that I've done something considered to be illogical or 'dumb'. I am not offended.

We can control ourselves, not others. Instead of trying to control how another speaks, why not learn to control how to listen?

The lesson of being called out on the ill use of one's words may lead to the enlightenment of one, but who in a mob will stop to listen? A leak in a dam may be plugged with a finger; but when that leak is pressured open by the raging waters behind it, what is one to do to hold the dam without being carried under and left to drown?

Words are everything. Sematics are everything. Meaning is everything. Language is everything. Communication is everything. Percerption is everything. Words and symbols are the constructs, parameters and filters for our experience, learning and understanding. It is though words that we define and interact with our world. And words are central to our ability to communicate with each other. In that sense, shared cultural meaning assigned to words becomes extremely relevant. And yet it is almost impossible for two people to hold the same ascribed meaning or symbolic value for any specific word, as we are all unique and see through different eyes.

This is an awesome quote by [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] from her blog
If everyone learns the definition of words differently and perceives each one subjectively, then communicating with words must be really unreliable. It's the same way with every other type of communication. How can you ever know with very much accuracy what the other person is thinking or feeling?

While I would agree that we can choose to not be offended- because thats what it comes down to - being offended is a personal choice. Its about having enough confidence, belief and love in yourself that you dont see 'percieved threats' as an attack to your ego.

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent'-Eleanor Roosevelt

The cultural reality is that the words you use than can be very hurtful to others, because of any accumulated ascribed meaning associated with words. And because words are our primary tool in being able to engage and communicate with others, it seems respectful and neccesary to choose the appropriate words.

Words evolve and change meaning constantly. In this sense they are alive and fluid. Of course it is not the 'word' that is bad or negative. It is the cultural and individual interpretation of the word. And that interpretation and use of the word reveals our inner feelings, thoughts, rationalisations and biases.

So yes- sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me- is true to an extent. But to a greater extent, it is through words that we communicate our true intent. And it is with words that we can shape and break minds.

But in saying all this- I do think that political correctness is getting to the stage of ridiculous. PC has becomes the new cultural morality and etiquette, an easy, superficial way to show you Ps and Qs without necessarily addressing the underlying problems of social inequality. Its something that many people loving harping on and judging others about because it is easy and visible. But alteast it is a start in a better direction, one which we start being more aware of our perceptions and filters. And it means that we can start examining the values and use of words, and how they create and shape our cultural experience.

Fantastic points! And Niffer's quote is profound as well. However to argue that point, one can understand the context with which the word is used by both listening to not just the word or statement of what is being said, but also by what is not being said and within the context of the whole with which these words are being used.

Case in point: This thread started because in seeking some empathy for a troubling realization, a user described feeling 'retarded'. Instead of listening to anything else than 'retarded', one made this statement:

Like everyone else said. Stop using words like "retarded" as slang. Don't think of yourself as enlightened in the sense that you are. You're in a never ending process towards it

By hearing:

Why do I feel retarded?
I understand that I am not retarded. I live on my own and go to school with decent grades.

I would say I am more aware than I ever knew was possible. Spiritually, mentally, socially, etc.
I feel like my entire life (before this feeling) I was just there, and didn't really know anything worth knowing.
Today, I realize how bad my memory is, and look back at how unaware I used to be.

Is it possible that I have become so (hesitant to use this word) enlightened that I actually feel like I was retarded? Or am I just retarded? And does my INFJ personality affect this, being that I don't feel like I fit in anywhere, have an intuition out the window but sometimes paranoid, and am incapable of having a normal conversation with someone I don't see everyday?

To break down what I heard:

Why do I feel retarded? <- The question to me sounds like he is confused about something.
I understand that I am not retarded. I live on my own and go to school with decent grades. <- Baseline.
^ Gives a sense that he understands the meaning of the word, derogatory and otherwise. ^

I would say I am more aware than I ever knew was possible. Spiritually, mentally, socially, etc. <- Comparison to past
I feel like my entire life (before this feeling) I was just there, and didn't really know anything worth knowing. <- Being vulnerable and honest to Self and others
Today, I realize how bad my memory is, and look back at how unaware I used to be. <- Feeling bad or maybe even depressed!!!

Is it possible that I have become so (hesitant to use this word) enlightened that I actually feel like I was retarded? Or am I just retarded? And does my INFJ personality
^^^
Realizes word can be mistaken for pride and ignorance, but struggles to think of a better word. Same understanding can be applied to 'Retarded'

affect this, being that I don't feel like I fit in anywhere, have an intuition out the window but sometimes paranoid, and am incapable of having a normal conversation with someone I don't see everyday? The rest is a request for empathy and/or insight of his trusted peer group (use of asking about INFJ personality as it relates to his problems)

I pose this question that I posed of Stormy1
We can control ourselves, not others. Instead of trying to control how another speaks, why not learn to control how to listen?

Lastly:

Words evolve and change meaning constantly. In this sense they are alive and fluid. Of course it is not the 'word' that is bad or negative. It is the cultural and individual interpretation of the word. And that interpretation and use of the word reveals our inner feelings, thoughts, rationalisations and biases.

Given my above arguments, I'd agree with you, but only when the interpretation is taken within the context of the whole, while listening to not just what is being said, but what is not, and comparing the two. Not pick and choose words.

Also, if someone is being vulnerable and asking for help, why pick a fight on poor choice of words? Is it really that important? Especially right then? The logic almost reminds me of an INFJ version of an INTJ's. See pic:
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/1807788_700b.jpg

Otherwise, I really do like all the statements you've made. :)

Last edited: