RA Interview Tomorrow...Any Tips?

bickelz

BOINK
Jan 1, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w5
So my interview for Resident Adviser is tomorrow. I hope i get it because my room/board and part of my meal plan is paid for. Any tips for the interview? Anyone else been an RA?

Heh.

I was a hall director.

I can tell you how we interviewed for our RAs, but really all we looked for was someone who was themselves, who could handle a crisis calmly, and someone trustworthy.

Remember, you may have some sleepless nights because of things happening in your hall, and you have to balance that with your classes. If you aren't doing well with your classes now, don't expect your GPA to go up when you're an RA. You're also required to put on programs for students...so come up with some ideas on how you can motivate your floor.

I'm giving you some of the downside, because it's not just a free meal and a free place to stay, and all. You really, really work for that free stuff, and sometimes all that "free" isn't worth the cost of the job.

You will have roommate conflicts. You will have some druggies or alcoholics. You will have some who snap. You will be cleaning up puke in the stairwells (sorry, it happens). But your HD will train you, and you'll learn how to deal with difficult situations.

And yes, it can be a lot of fun, too. :D

I think it's more of a position for extroverts, but it can depend if you're in a study residence hall, or a freshman dorm. The freshmen dorms are CRAZY.

But if you want the job, be yourself. Tell how you've motivated people, and how you'll make your floor "yours." Explain how you want to help freshmen (or students) acclimate to college life, and that you're willing to go the extra mile.

My GPA is good, about a 3.5 and i know that it will be quite a bit of work. I live in a suite with a bunch of people who drink a shit load so I am used to dealing with that. I think of myself as quite trustworthy as do my bosses where I work. My work is in retail so i have experience with some conflict having to be resolved quickly while keeping a cool head.

But thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. Especially from someone who was in the ranks of the person who will be interviewing me.

Coming from working on ResLife at my university, Arby's advice is extremely sound. It definitely is not an easy job. One thing that should help you sell yourself is if you emphasize how you would react in difficult situations, especially at night because that's when most things go down. Maybe talk about how you've kept your cool with difficult customers, or talk about hypothetical problems and how you might handle them. I've had to deal with fights, drunks (and way too much puke), stalkers, and the such and I'm just night staff. If you can show that you're confident, sociable, and calm in difficult situations, it's all the better for you.

Reactions: Nixie
Ah, one more thing: If you've been active on the campus at all, in a leadership position (student org, religious club, hall organization, etc) make sure you say it. They're looking for campus leaders when they interview RAs.

Hey gang, thanks for the tips! Hopefully all goes well. It's nice to get some perspective from the people who will be interviewing me you know?