Feelings

Banned
Sep 27, 2009
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
-
image (9108).jpg

The mistake is in adding $2 to the $24 * 3 each person paid. The $24 * 3 covers the $70 bill (after discount) + the $2 tip, which is what was paid. They should have then added $3 to the resulting $72, as that is the only part still unaccounted for. The $2 was already accounted for in the $24 * 3.

There is no puzzle, the problem is simply lying to you. +$2 at the end is a flaw/disconnect in the logic, using it there is not modeling the same problem. The entire thing is correct up until the +$2.

It should be after the $5 discount:

$70
+2
___

$1 given to 3 persons

If there is a hidden message, perhaps I'm too retarded to see it.

The missing dollar was obviously taken by the waitstaff because a $2 tip on a $70 bill is horribly insulting. Those assholes.

:D Turquoise wins.
The puzzle is in figuring out the question. I figured it out, after like 20 minutes, but thot it was pretty cool, so being the feeler I am, I decided to share in the experience.

Ok, so I don't see how my answer is any different except less wordy. o_O

$5 discount on $75 is $70.

70/3 = 23.33

$2 to the waitstaff and $1 to each person.

I think the math is wrong in the problem.

made enough sense in my head, but not on that paper.

each pays 25 - the $5 discount

each gives $2 to the waiter and $1 to eachother (this part is stupid as it does nothing ;as one person gives his two buddies $1 each and gets $1 from each)

they paid $60 for the bill, $6 tip, and kept $3 each (3*3=9)

It's all about what was done with the five dollar discount and what they actually paid each. They gave away $2 and divided the remaining $3 amongst themselves, which comes to $5. In reality they paid a third of $70 each, which comes to $23.33 with a floating penny. Add the dollar each refund and you get $24.33, which times three is $72.99 plus the floating penny, or $73. Add the two bucks and you have your $75.

They never paid $25 each when the discount is figured in.

Hope they left more tip at the table...