Public Speaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

z523x4gr98j

Regular Poster
Mar 26, 2009
MBTI
xxxx
Soon I will be giving a research presentation. As the day nears, I get more and more nervous. Though my speaking skills are way better than they were in high school, they're still not great; and since I've only given presentations in class, I'm not sure how I'll do in front of 50+ people. It's completely different than giving a presentation in a laid back classroom.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tips. Tips on how to hide nervousness, how to reduce my anxiety, or general public speaking techniques. I really don't want to screw this up! As odd as it may sound, one of the biggest factors in my anxiety is knowing my parents will be there. I've always been weird about performing in front of my parents. It makes me very uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I love public speaking!

Make sure you understand what you are going to say. Don't memorize the lines, but memorize the content. For some having a speech in front of you is useful (for me I find it distracting), so you can use that to help some.

The key is to just do it. Don't think about what's going to happen. Just know the material, and when you get out there, just talk like you'd be talking to anyone else in a group. It's as simple as that and there really isn't all that much to it.

Reactions: Oranguh
I love public speaking!

Make sure you understand what you are going to say. Don't memorize the lines, but memorize the content. For some having a speech in front of you is useful (for me I find it distracting), so you can use that to help some.

The key is to just do it. Don't think about what's going to happen. Just know the material, and when you get out there, just talk like you'd be talking to anyone else in a group. It's as simple as that and there really isn't all that much to it.

Do what Indy says :D~ Know what to say and improvise like you would in any other conversation.

Thanks!

I definitely don't want to try to memorize a speech or read it out loud. But it helps to have notecards. The only thing about that is, when I look away from the notecard and look back, I have trouble finding my place again. Then there's this awkward pause while find my place.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I definitely don't want to try to memorize a speech or read it out loud. But it helps to have notecards. The only thing about that is, when I look away from the notecard and look back, I have trouble finding my place again. Then there's this awkward silence where it's obvious I've lost my place. Bleh.

And that is the distraction right there. Try practicing without using them. Or better yet, only have single words on them, so they are easy to spot. This says to me that you aren't really "owning" what you want to say. If you know what you're going to be talking, singular words or phrases should trip a series of things to talk about in your mind, and the rest will take care of itself.

Confidence is king in the world of public speaking. Confidence comes with practice and knowledge. Recite points of your presentation in a mirror so you can see yourself, rehearse the presentation from front to back. Public speaking isn't much different then writing an essay, know what your talking about, have some one critique the first draft and practice.

Pick the friendliest-looking three people in the audience and speak to them in turn. You eyes will be moving across, so everyone will feel addressed, but you'll come to rest at the safe points you've chosen. The repetition of that is quite calming in itself.

Use relaxation/breathing exercises to calm your body and mind beforehand.

Get into a positive mental state with affirmations. My favourite one to use comes from Louise Hay:

"I love and approve of myself. I trust in the flow of life. I am safe. All is well in my world"

It's good for everyday use, and you might want to include a specific affirmation too, such as: "I now speak with clarity and confidence".

:)

Hope it goes well.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Thanks!

I definitely don't want to try to memorize a speech or read it out loud. But it helps to have notecards. The only thing about that is, when I look away from the notecard and look back, I have trouble finding my place again. Then there's this awkward silence where it's obvious I've lost my place. Bleh.

If you insist on using notecards highlight your main points.

And all the advice given by others will be pretty helpful :) Good luck!

Looks like you got a lot of good advice. Relaxation, confidence, and knowing what you're talking about are all key. I don't know if I have much advice to give on this subject, but I'll give you a few little tips that may help out.

Make sure you stay hydrated throughout the days before and the day of the speech. Of course it's something that should be done at all times, but sometimes when people are nervous or relentlessly busy, they forget to pay attention to the basic signal of thirst. Dehydration tends to increase the heart rate, which in turn can make you think that you're more nervous than you actually are. Plus if you're speaking, then you'll want to make sure your vocal cords are hydrated.

Also, don't go into it hungry. We all know how the brain functions when hungry, so at least have a small snack so you're not distracted by hunger. If you are afraid of having a "froggy" voice, then avoid any foods with dairy before the speech.

These are just a few ways to conquer the mental through the physiological. They may seem basic and obvious, but their significance can sometimes be overlooked. If you already knew all of this, then you're already off to a great start :) I'm sure you'll do fine. Best of luck.

While I consider myself a shy person deep down, ironically I am not overly nervous when it comes to public speaking.

The one thing that really helped keep in mind (aside from the obvious being prepared, knowing material etc), was just the simple fact that I am there to pass on information to others who are needing to hear what I have to say. That my information passing, will in some way, benefit them as an audience.

This really helped to shift from a negative attitude about the act of public speaking, to a more positive one. To just focus on the simple fact of what it's really all about.

We did a poll in my speaking class, if you'd rather speak in front of strangers, or a group of people you know.. A little less than half picked strangers.

My tip is instead of trying to hide and get away from nervouses use it to your advantage. It's adrenaline, it will keep you alert. Just go up there and be yourself. If you prepared, you'll be fine. Probably. Or you can screw up majorly and have your audience pointing and at laughing you.

It depends on what I'm making a speech about.

Thanks for all the advice! It's really helpful.

One more minor thing: there's going to be a short question and answer session after the presentation. Even at the best of times I can't answer questions right away. I need time to pause and think, and then form my answer into words. Is there something I can do in the meantime to make it less awkward? I don't want to just go silent and give a delayed answer.

If someone asks a question I can't answer, what do I say? There has to be something that sounds better than "I don't know."

Last edited:
The audience is a lot more understanding than you might think. If you have to pause and think, it's really not that big of a deal. Answer the questions the way you'd respond if you weren't doing a speech.

I'm pretty decent at it. As long as I am prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.