Psychic Abilities Anyone? | INFJ Forum

Psychic Abilities Anyone?

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
I'm curious why people choose to develop or choose not to develop their psychic abilities, or why they would choose to only develop them to a certain degree. Thoughts? Experiences?

I feel a vast understanding of things at times. "You knew that was going to fall, didn't you?"

"Yes, Sir"

Thanks [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION], I always appreciate your input, but I'm specifically interested in increasing my understanding of why people choose to develop or choose not to develop their psychic abilities.

Taboo. Misunderstanding. Being made fun of.

or

Worry for something bad happening when upset or angry.

Reactions: #@&5&49
I used to have more small incidences of dreaming something before it happened. Nothing earth shattering, just a small detail, and then it would happen as I had dreamed exactly. I had the sense that I could work on this and enhance the ability and wanted to. It didn't scare me. I was curious and felt a bit special. It never made me feel like I was tangling with dark forces, just working on something that was natural to me. For example, when I wrote dreams down, I started to remember more. The more I remembered, the more clairvoyant incidences it seemed. I dreamed of one major natural disaster two days before it occurred. I also used to get a strong picture of someone just as I was about to go to sleep. Usually this had to do with something significant I would find out about later relating to this person. I would describe this state as hypnagogic. I don't have these abilities anymore. I attribute this loss to use of benzodiazepines as a sleep aide. They interfere with stages of sleep (delta sleep waves). I dream less and remember less. I seem to have lost the gift and I miss it.

Last edited:
[MENTION=13730]PintoBean[/MENTION], I can definitely see how pharmaceuticals can get in the way of developing psychic abilities. They alter the natural flow of energy.

I personally think that Psychic abilities are a load of nonsense and is (for the most part) steeped in superstition. The only thing that people can gain from such an activity is money and lies.

I personally think that Psychic abilities are a load of nonsense and is (for the most part) steeped in superstition. The only thing that people can gain from such an activity is money and lies.

I am not surprised that you think this, but I don't think this was the question [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] asked.

I am not surprised that you think this, but I don't think this was the question [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] asked.

Because the question is being asked on the premise that Psychic abilities do exist; I do not think they do, so I am contributing via the opposing premise which could potentially increase the level of discussion in this thread.

LOL. Maybe I didn't phrase the question clearly enough. I'm not interested in people's specific psychic experiences per se, or whether they believe in psychic abilities. I'm just interested in why or why not a person would choose or not choose to develop their psychic abilities.

I have a feeling this thread might take on a direction of its own, oh well, we'll see where it goes and hopefully I'll glean a little insight out of it wherever it goes. Thanks [MENTION=13730]PintoBean[/MENTION] and no problem [MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION]. You have a point, people wouldn't purse developing psychic abilities if they didn't believe they even exist - that's real.

If I knew how to develop my psychic abilities I would most likely do so. But I do not know.

It's sort of the same reasons why a person may be a Christian or an Athiest. If you believe something is there to be pursued, you will be more inclined to pursue it. Also, many people are lazy, apathetic. Let's suppose psychic abilities are really obtainable by anyone. How come then it isn't already a natural phenomenon among the majority of the population? Also, aren't there some fears that surround the potential of having such abilities? To be unique in some way is to also be outcast from society. If these abilities are not provable under rigid scientific study, pursuing them is most assuredly going to make you an outcast in a society that deems science their diety. To claim powers beyond science is heresy in a scientific world. So assuming psychic abilities are possible, the logical course of action is to first prove/promote the science behind it, or live the life of a heretic.

If I knew how to develop my psychic abilities I would most likely do so. But I do not know.

65565080.jpg

I was raised around people who believed in psychic abilities and alternative ways of perceiving the world, the people in it, and everything else. Sort of like being raised as a preachers daughter. As far as psychic abilities were concerned, I had a take it or leave it attitude, in spite of countless attempts of people trying to maneuver me in that direction.

Lately though, I've ventured back to some of my roots and am re-examining some of the beliefs and concepts I was raised with. My upbringing certainly paved the way for me to walk a different path, which has both served me well and tormented me. As a child I met a few people who I thought had some extraordinary abilities, and then truckloads of people who followed them around wishing some of that magic would rub off on them.

In my life I've chosen not to pursue or develop any psychic abilities I may have had, which, I obviously believe exist. It's interesting to hear some peoples perspective on whether or not these abilities exist because in my mind (because of my upbringing) there was never a question that they existed, of course they did. I was surrounded by people who believed in this.

Like I said though, now, I'm re-examining some of the beliefs I was raised with and I'm delving into them more deeply then I ever have in my life. Mainly because I experienced something in life, that, well, pretty much sucked ass. I found myself in a position of being bombarded by people forcing "thats impossible" down my throat and I found myself believing them. Then I found a few folks quietly saying, "maybe that isn't impossible, maybe there's more out there than anyone is currently aware of". To make a long story short, the "impossible" became possible and I witnessed what people are telling me is a "miracle".

As a result, now I don't rule anything out. I've seen stuff happen that I believed was "impossible". How did it happen, I couldn't even begin to tell anyone, but it did and it changed me and it sent me down a different path. A path I was raised with but never explored.

I guess psychic abilities are considered a taboo subject and people are ridiculed and outcasted for it as [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] and [MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION] say. I honestly never really thought about that before because its always been an aspect of my life even though I chose not to be an active participant. I suppose at this point I stopped giving a damn, but then, I spent a lifetime in academia and found knowledge as we know it, has some serious limitations, so why not speculate about where our current knowledge ends and something completely unknown exists. I asked myself, why not? What do I have to lose - a current perception of reality that no longer serves me anyway - screw that. I've already spent a lifetime marching to a different drum and being ridiculed and outcasted for having a completely different perspective than most folks.

My curse or blessing, however one chooses to perceive it, is constantly bringing up shit people don't want to talk about. Oh well, we all have our talents and faults. Its interesting how we sometimes find our talents hiding behind what we believe to be our faults. Life is a constantly changing landscape. Enjoy the ride cause it doesn't last forever.

Like you, I choose to not rule anything out. Thinking and perceiving in absolutes feels wrong for me and puts restrictions on our thought processes and growth of self. We are ever changing beings, I refuse to put restrictions on that. As far as my personal beliefs in psychic abilities, I believe that some humans are far more capable than others when it comes to their natural gifts of healing, counsel, critical thinking. I also believe that some have a knack for pulling the wool over another's eyes. There is so much skepticism with this subject because of how many in life have tried to "fool" others, and any ability whatsoever being demoted to nothing more than a parlor trick. Like some others have confessed, I also have a knack for having dreams that end up coming true. Not all the time, but a great majority of the time, especially if my dreams take place in the here and now and with people I know well. Also, I have a knack for freaking my family out by handing someone the exact object they were silently searching for, answering their questions without them asking first. Things like this are common place for me. But I don't for an instant consider myself psychic. I find that I just have an ability to anticipate the needs of those I care for. My advice to you is this, there is so much we do not know about ourselves, our world, our universe. Don't box yourself in by thinking in absolutes, restricting yourself with 'cans' and 'cant's', they are a dead end street heading in one direction. True knowledge moves forward, backwards, and all around.

Reactions: JJJA and hush
I've been on and off with the magic thing and paranormal stuff somehow with psychic. I've done my fair share of experimenting, like some amateur rituals (nothing involved with voodoo, goats, nor blood fwiw) and also seen dead people, closed eyed visuals or i beieve that's how it's called, ouija, and had some mystical and potentially mind-wrecking experiences in it's time. Last one involving a near death experience.
Ime believing in it doesn't makes it more true as if you're ignoring some fact, it's actually something that just shows by itself as factual, and you either get it or you don't. I don't think that take them as hallucinations and think of oneself as deluded or maybe even as a potential schizophrenic helps either way to find some meaning or answers that these experiences had for me. There's more to this reality than we think, yes, absolutely.
The reason why i haven't developed more in this kind of thing for a time now, is because i need to be cautious too. Playing with these things alone without someone who knows more about it that can at least advice you, if not guide you in a way, can be seriously dangerous, as i experienced.

Last edited:
I'm curious why people choose to develop or choose not to develop their psychic abilities, or why they would choose to only develop them to a certain degree. Thoughts? Experiences?

My telepathy ability in increasing and I am not choosing to do this. It's just happening.

My telepathy ability in increasing and I am not choosing to do this. It's just happening.

I find the ability to turn this shit off difficult too. Im in the midst of researching better ways to shield and protect myself. Its similar to setting emotional boundaries with people, but I have to think on a different level, use different tools, and set different boundaries in a completely different landscape - piece of cake (not). Theres no damn rule book like they have in academia or even psychology, which is actually a good thing. Im floating in the damn void - oh yeah, I forgot, I'm supposed to be enjoying this.

There's more to this reality than we think, yes, absolutely. The reason why i haven't developed more in this kind of thing for a time now, is because i need to be cautious too. Playing with these things alone without someone who knows more about it that can at least advice you, if not guide you in a way, can be seriously dangerous, as i experienced.

Yes, it can be dangerous. All those energies. Its a bit like trying to contain a tornado. Now I'm in the void with a tornado - cool.