Proper Forum Etiquette | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Proper Forum Etiquette

Not all "trollish" comments are actually trollish. Some of us naturally like to lighten the tone of a thread. :D

Oh yeah, and don't give anyone more then 15 neg reps in one hour.

[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION] addressed this, but I just want to return to the topic for a second. Thumbs on sad, even tragic posts, is it okay? After a while I decided yes. I think people post here under the assumption that most folks, if not HSP themselves, are at least sensitive to the feelings of others. A lot of us post about our feelings/emotional lives, and that's something I like about this forum. I do feel a little odd about thumbs upping a sad post, but I decided it's the right thing to do because this person has bravely shared their inner life, and a thumbs is acknowledgement that we've read and are supportive. I would like to add though that I think a comment, even if just a few short supportive words, adds the proper nuance to a thumbs-up on a sad post.

Try and keep your posts succinct - helps anyone (like me) who doesn't always get the opportunity to read every thread/post.

Sarcastic humour is always encouraged and welcomed (at least in my world). :tongue1:

Not all "trollish" comments are actually trollish. Some of us naturally like to lighten the tone of a thread. :D

This is very true. Also just because someone disagrees does not mean they are trolling you either.

Don't be upset if members question your MBTI type, their intention is to offer you a different perspective (even if they are wrong.)

Don't tag me then untag me.
Don't.

Please explain this further. You mean like typing "@so and so" and then deleting it before posting? Or after?

Don't be upset if members question your MBTI type, their intention is to offer you a different perspective (even if they are wrong.)

No problem here, I question my own type all the time. :p

Don't generalize people in an offensive way based on their sexuality, sex, ethnicity, personality/mbti, religion or interests if you can help it.

So for example instead of posting: All men are pigs
you could write: Some men are pigs
(this way you don't butt hurt those who don't deserve to be called pigs.)

Instead of saying for example: muslim terrorists
you can say: terrorists
(it does not make sense to re-iterate these things when you already said it as ISIS or whatever.)

The same goes for a lot of other observations you make that you think largely apply to a lot of people from some group, if you state it like all of them adhere to your assumptions based on your observations, things can become offensive rather quickly. There is the tendency within some to generalize people when they are upset and all it does is ruin the largely positive atmosphere on the forum.

I think it's been a reasonably significant problem in the past for members to inform other members that the type they identify with is not their type. I don't think that people who respond to others this way necessarily do have the intention of providing an alternative perspective. Actually, I have no idea what their intentions are, except that they clearly have the intention of informing others of the type that they have personally concluded that those others are.

I think it is poor etiquette to give others unsolicited feedback on their personality. Would you confront an acquaintance with remarks to the effect of something like (for example), "After hearing what you just said, I think that your personality is directed more towards sensory reception than symbolic meaning"? Maybe you would do that... but if you would do it, I think that it would generally be considered to be impolite.

What I have usually understood when engaging in typology is that typing is invalid without the personal identification of the person who is typed. Often when I have seen people typing others it is something like "You aren't what you think you are! You are some other type entirely!" The people making remarks like this seem to have lost perspective on this idea that typing is only valid if it is provided by the identification of the person who is being typed.

Once before I saw that on another typology forum, the practice of providing unsolicited typing feedback to others had caused so many problems for the community that it had been given a special name and had been explicitly prohibited. The name that it was given was called something like "type flaming" or something, I can't remember exactly. I'm sorry that my memory is so poor about this, but I relate this anecdote because I think it is meaningful. I think it is something that is worth bearing in mind.

There are people who post threads asking, "What type am I?" and that gives others opportunity to provide feedback on these matters. Outside of that? No, I don't think it's very polite to spontaneously provide unsolicited type feedback to others. I think that it is polite to respond to the content of what people post, and to refrain from making inferences about the personality of the person who contributed to discussion from what they posted.

Reactions: Wolfskillian
I think it's been a reasonably significant problem in the past for members to inform other members that the type they identify with is not their type. I don't think that people who respond to others this way necessarily do have the intention of providing an alternative perspective. Actually, I have no idea what their intentions are, except that they clearly have the intention of informing others of the type that they have personally concluded that those others are.

I think it is poor etiquette to give others unsolicited feedback on their personality. Would you confront an acquaintance with remarks to the effect of something like (for example), "After hearing what you just said, I think that your personality is directed more towards sensory reception than symbolic meaning"? Maybe you would do that... but if you would do it, I think that it would generally be considered to be impolite.

What I have usually understood when engaging in typology is that typing is invalid without the personal identification of the person who is typed. Often when I have seen people typing others it is something like "You aren't what you think you are! You are some other type entirely!" The people making remarks like this seem to have lost perspective on this idea that typing is only valid if it is provided by the identification of the person who is being typed.

Once before I saw that on another typology forum, the practice of providing unsolicited typing feedback to others had caused so many problems for the community that it had been given a special name and had been explicitly prohibited. The name that it was given was called something like "type flaming" or something, I can't remember exactly. I'm sorry that my memory is so poor about this, but I relate this anecdote because I think it is meaningful. I think it is something that is worth bearing in mind.

There are people who post threads asking, "What type am I?" and that gives others opportunity to provide feedback on these matters. Outside of that? No, I don't think it's very polite to spontaneously provide unsolicited type feedback to others. I think that it is polite to respond to the content of what people post, and to refrain from making inferences about the personality of the person who contributed to discussion from what they posted.

I obviously have thicker skin than many on here. I don't bother myself with how others perceive my personality. MBTI is not my "end-all." I think it is more important for members to remember they can ignore others when they feel they are being attacked. When that happens, normally other members will step in (which is one thing I love about this community.)

So true. This community seems very loyal to its members, and that is another thing that impressed me. :)

Just my personal viewpoint, but I see this place as a reflection of the INFJ type.

Be authentic, creative, individualistic, romantic, inspirational, catalytic and all those great things that any person can be but INFJs seem to do best.

Also don't be a dick.

Reactions: hush
I obviously have thicker skin than many on here. I don't bother myself with how others perceive my personality. MBTI is not my "end-all." I think it is more important for members to remember they can ignore others when they feel they are being attacked. When that happens, normally other members will step in (which is one thing I love about this community.)

I agree, it is very important for people to have a robust self esteem... but that's not really an etiquette practice. The etiquette practice is to approach others with respect, and not to start introducing judgments to discussions about who people are from arguments they make.

There used to be a joke around here with people saying "You're not a real INFJ!" So yeah, it's good to know that the community will step in and tell the warriors to knock it off.

never ask someone what they are wearing in a rep comment

Yes, never in a rep comment.

Always in a thread.

Reactions: Wyote