Proper Forum Etiquette

Wolfskillian

Banned
Dec 2, 2015
MBTI
IxFJ
Enneagram
Eh?
Thumbs and reputation, and just plain good 'ol fashioned manners.

As a forum newbie, I'm still wet behind the ears and getting a hold of my bearings here. Is there a proper way to behave here? And yes, I know, just don't act like an inconsiderate a-hole... but seriously. When to give rep, when it's ok not to? Will using the thumbs up or down incite wrath in others? Does it all even matter?

Reactions: Artisan
I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things here, but generally I like to follow this way of thinking:

1) Don't post to intentionally hurt or anger someone.
2) When addressing serious topics, remember that oftentimes we will all butt heads on it. But try to do so with good intentions and never be afraid to apologize when needed.
3) Otherwise, I try to keep it light-hearted and enjoy the fun.
4) Keep personal things between you and the person that shares them. Don't feed into the rumor-mills.
5) If you like a post, thumb it up. May even go an extra step to throw in a rep comment. I love it when I run out of rep after an evening of forum-surfing.
6) If you don't like a post, why not start up a dialogue and tell us why.

:)

The bottom line for me is this: Behind each and every post lies a human being. I always try to remember that before anything else.

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone has there own way of doing things here, but generally I like to follow this way of thinking:

2) When addressing serious topics, remember that oftentimes we will all butt heads on it. But try to do so with good intentions and never be afraid to apologize when needed.
4) Keep personal things between you and the person that shares them. Don't feed into the rumor-mills.
5) If you like a post, thumb it up. May even go an extra step to throw in a rep comment. I love it when I run out of rep after an evening of forum-surfing.

The bottom line for me is this: Behind each and every post lies a human being. I always try to remember that before anything else.

Very well said. <3

Just one extra thing...

7) Cat gifs.

udilunf.gif

Thumbs and reputation, and just plain good 'ol fashioned manners.

As a forum newbie, I'm still wet behind the ears and getting a hold of my bearings here. Is there a proper way to behave here? And yes, I know, just don't act like an inconsiderate a-hole... but seriously. When to give rep, when it's ok not to? Will using the thumbs up or down incite wrath in others? Does it all even matter?

Some of us give thumbs up on sad posts. This is a show of support to those who do this, not enjoying another's misery.
(I recommend not doing this on FB at posts that enter your feed, some people will take it the wrong way and seriously completely flip out.)

Doing a Thumbs down generally only happens when someone thinks your being a complete inconsiderate asshole without a point or are unreasonably singling them out.
(or a new member, usually someone who is not an infj thinks of doing thumbs down as normal/not a big deal and thinks of it so casually that to them it is more like do you want a cookie? yes or no?, but here it kinda is a big deal :p. A lot of us are HSP.)

Positive rep comments, are usually used as a sorta PM system

Negative rep comments, are usually used if someone is very upset with another and this someone thinks they deserve a negative rep point.
(ofc these are so infrequent that positive rep far outweighs any negative rep. given)

Some people do get mad about thumbs down or negative rep, but as long as you dont use it excessively its not wrong to use it. Just keep in mind that most people will feel offended ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfskillian
I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things here, but generally I like to follow this way of thinking:

I love this. All of it, but especially the bottom line. Sometimes I forget that and it is the most important thing to remember. Thank you. :D

Very well said. <3

Just one extra thing...

7) Cat gifs.

udilunf.gif

Cat gifs. Lots and lots of em. Noted. :w:

Some of us give thumbs up on sad posts. This is a show of support to those who do this, not enjoying another's misery.

Doing a Thumbs down generally only happens when someone thinks your being a complete inconsiderate asshole without a point or are unreasonably singling them out.
(or a new member, usually someone who is not an infj thinks of doing thumbs down as normal/not a big deal and thinks of it so casually that to them it is more like do you want a cookie? yes or no?, but here it kinda is a big deal :p. A lot of us are HSP.)

Positive rep comments, are usually used as a sorta PM system

Negative rep comments, are usually used if someone is very upset with another and this someone thinks they deserve a negative rep point.
(ofc these are so infrequent that positive rep far outweighs any negative rep. given)

Some people do get mad about thumbs down or negative rep, but as long as you dont use it excessively its not wrong to use it. Just keep in mind that most people will feel offended ;)

Yup. I was slowly starting to figure out the the rep comments are a whole other covert pm-ing system and also just to, as [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION] mentioned, "whisper sweet nothings" in purely platonic or non-platonic ways - love this kgal, by the way. And I have already given thumbs up on ultra sad posts just to show a little support and hoping it was interpreted that way. Looks like that's a "yes". :)

I honestly don't see myself thumbing down something but would do instead, as [MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] mentioned, try to explain why I am in disagreement with something. I'm not so great with words sometimes though.. But I can swallow my pride and recognize when I'm in the wrong and say sorry (mostly).

HSP? a whole entire forum of mostly INFJ's that are highly sensitive? The hell you say! lol. I got it. Regardless if I am N or S, I am still very much a feeler, so I can understand this completely. :D

Reactions: Kgal
HSP? a whole entire forum of mostly INFJ's that are highly sensitive? The hell you say! lol. I got it. Regardless if I am N or S, I am still very much a feeler, so I can understand this completely. :D

:p I said a lot of us (people on the forum, of all types) not most of us :p.
But yea, you can spot who is one quite easily by how careful they begin to tip toe if they think they might have accidentally offended someone.

So kinda as a rule prefer to assume everyone only means the best and does not mean in anyway to offend another.
I always feel a bit guilty when someone worries they might have possibly offended me >.< It usually happens after I ask clarity about something >.<

If someone give you a neg rep dont start posting like a crybaby about how so and so just gave you your first neg rep

Reactions: Kgal and Stu
If someone give you a neg rep dont start posting like a crybaby about how so and so just gave you your first neg rep
CELEBRATE IT! THROW A PARTY! WOOOOOO!

Reactions: Wolfskillian
Listen to others - they know things that you do not, and whether they know things that you do or not, you will never know exactly what they know.

You do not know others as well as they know themselves, so it is best to refrain from informing them of what they are thinking or feeling.

Respond to the post, not to the personality (unless someone specifically requests feedback on their personality - then, I think, you can be gentle rather than judgmental).

Discussion can be a competition, or a collaboration. Which would you prefer?

And the golden rule, that is also the most difficult to follow: never make assumptions.

(These are my personal perspectives, that others may not agree with.)

Last edited:
Don't cut and paste huge walls of text into your posts, no matter how important the text might seem to you. Just write a precis and add a link instead.

never ask someone what they are wearing in a rep comment

Stick to the topic and don't attack a person based on whether you liked or didn't like his/her previous threads.

Reactions: Elegant Winter
Stick to the topic and don't attack a person based on whether you liked or didn't like his/her previous threads.

Wasn't attacking, and had absolutely nothing to do with a previous thread. I thought I made it clear I was commenting on you attacking another forum member in that thread. If you feel I was attacking you, please, by all means, report me.

Listen to others - they know things that you do not, and whether they know things that you do or not, you will never know exactly what they know.

You do not know others as well as they know themselves, so it is best to refrain from informing them of what they are thinking or feeling.

Respond to the post, not to the personality (unless someone specifically requests feedback on their personality - then, I think, you can be gentle rather than judgmental).

Discussion can be a competition, or a collaboration. Which would you prefer?

And the golden rule, that is also the most difficult to follow: never make assumptions.

(These are my personal perspectives, that others may not agree with.)

Excellent words, thank you. "Respond to the post, not the personality." I think I just heard the angels sing. That little statement helps to put it into perspective, why we do butt heads sometimes, and some more than others. I will heed this wonderful advice. Thank you.

Reactions: invisible
Wasn't attacking, and had absolutely nothing to do with a previous thread. I thought I made it clear I was commenting on you attacking another forum member in that thread. If you feel I was attacking you, please, by all means, report me.

I don't think that message was aimed at you. I think it was in reference to the issue she had with what I posted on her thread.

As long as you're not making an attack on someone's character or turning things into a personal argument I think you will be fine. Most of the shit I find most annoying on this forum is when it starts coming down to trying to rip apart a person's character with limited context or attacking their belief systems. Also, don't be a self righteous prick.

It's very simple to get along with people here even if you don't like them.

Reactions: Kgal