^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you think that INFJs are more prone to one, some, or any kind(s) of depression, especially during adolescence, than some other types?

It seems to me that expectations are places upon everyone that INFJs can't easily meet. Being extroverted is a big one ("you need to put yourself out there, take life by the horns, etc...").

If what I've read is correct, then INFJ is a type that is slow to make friends. This can make life difficult.

I think I need to redo this thread. I don't know how off the top of my head, though.

Adolescence is a rough enough time. And INFJ's often have inner conflict. Then throw in time spent alone with often self-negative thoughts and doubt and second-guessing, society telling us we're weird and need to conform, and the sorrow that not being understood brings... it's no wonder the world seems a wretched place at times.

The edit button is handy if you need to reword. :)

Maybe you were leaning more towards something like what should we do to alleviate INFJ depression?

I think perhaps your touching on some truth to the matter, most of society acts a certain way that we cannot relate to. Being the most uncommon of personality types we know early on were different from the rest of society. We try to go against our nature to "fit in" though we usually have difficulty doing so. This creates the adolescent depression. The sooner we all embrace who we are and learn to love ourselves despite our differences we can all begin to heal...At least I think so...

Who is ready for a rant on...Depression?

What an interesting subject...Also, an immensely complicated one. There are so many factors that must be taken into consideration. Including, the person's social and family life, habits, and of course...personality. To not stray from the topic at hand, which was do INFJ's suffer more depression than other personality types, I would like to point out that this is quite a difficult thing to measure. For one reason, collecting the information, should we do this the scientific way, would be a hellacious task. You would not only need to take into account the frequency and length of depression, but also the severity. This is completely objective, how can a person rate their own depression, say on a scale? They have never felt anyone else's first hand. Also, what one person might categorize as a depressing youth, another might say is just the normal feeling's one expiriences during adolescence or various other stages of change in their lives.

That said, I feel that Milon and Entyqua have a strong point. INFJ is a rare personality type. We make friends slowly, and often have very few of them at any given time in comparison with more social personalities. Our way of thinking is different. Our attitudes are differnent. These sorts of differences lead to even further dissimilarities, some of which could be easily associated with us just being individual and unique human beings. The point is, not fitting in is no easy thing. Having a rare personality type like this, especially for people who have the INFJ type particulary distinctly, with very high percentages in each of the four letters, leaves us with many obstacles socailly, as the stronger the personality, the less likely you are to be interested in changing it to meet the demands of others. (Let it be known that that was a general statement.)

I have a lot more I would like to say here. However, I feel I have rambled enough. Perhaps I shall continue later...:D

I guess when really demotivated and drained, anyone can become depressed. INFJ's more than other types? possibly

I have just realized how incoherent that post was. (Mine) I would revise it and make it say what I had intended, because I do not think it reads the way i want it to, but I am very tired.

To be honest I think that NF's in general are more prone to depression because often it gets owerwhelming. I definetly come across it too despite the fact that I'm not an INFJ :)

Although definetly as you said about making friends, it has an impact on depression as human need interaction. Furthermore the introversion does not make this easier.

Do you think that INFJs are more prone to one, some, or any kind(s) of depression, especially during adolescence, than some other types?

It seems to me that expectations are places upon everyone that INFJs can't easily meet. Being extroverted is a big one ("you need to put yourself out there, take life by the horns, etc...").

If what I've read is correct, then INFJ is a type that is slow to make friends. This can make life difficult.

I think it possible for those living with us to become depressed. Can I have a sense of humor, too? I men, sometimes I really feel for those trying to understand us.