Prison, Suicide, and who was Aaron Swartz? | INFJ Forum

Prison, Suicide, and who was Aaron Swartz?

dneecey

I am who I am.
Apr 17, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Its not the prosecutors fault. What kind of person do you think spends all day trying to hack into stuff? Certainly not a well mentally balanced one. Getting caught was just enough to tip these already suicidal people over the edge. The introverts could not deal with being forced to socialize in prison.
^^^ This comment to an article I read today was stopping for me. It was neither shocking, or surprising, it only stopped me for a moment and made me think. And I wonder... What do you think?

So, here we go...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...008-named-cyber-crime-case.html#ixzz2I9zGD2yZ

There was a young man, some (myself included) might say a promising young man, who committed suicide just a few days ago, this month on the eleventh. His name was Aaron Swartz. He was 26, I believe. He was a cofounder of Reddit, an innovator of RSS when he was only 14, and an Internet activist who was indicted on federal charges of gaining illegal access to JSTOR, a subscription-only service for distributing scientific and literary journals. He downloaded 4.8 million articles and journals, which was almost the entire library, and was moving to release this information freely to the public. His potential penalties were up to 35 years in prison, and $1 million in fines. He supposedly hung himself and his body was found by a friend. He was believed to have dealt with depression in the past.

What do you feel/ think about the comment that was made? What do you know about Aaron Swartz? What is your standpoint on the release of copyrighted material? Really, just what are your thoughts?

Hmmm...I am subscribed to JStor as part of my university fees and so is everybody else I think.

I assume, given how much content there is, that this is the case at many other universities as well.

I can imagine they put a LOT of pressure on him not to release the files. It depends if there was an ultimatum whether he saw a way out. I don't know.

It is a shame though.

I'd never really read journals before I had Jstor and I use the library more often as I find it to be a ballache, personally. It is far, far too expensive as well.

Don't read the comments. They're reliably infuriating.

I read about Aaron. His history of depression seems like the biggest factor. Just more likely to be unable to deal with harsh times, you know? I don't blame him either. I personally don't like small spaces and, put in that position, I don't know if life in such a place would be worth living. Can't know such a thing until it becomes a reality.

And of course, he intended to release them but never actually did. Do they have evidence of intent to release the documents?

As for copyright infringement, it's clear cut. If a work is under copyright then it cannot be distributed without consent. This is just the law in this country. It's also ridiculous in an increasingly digital world. Think back to the early days of MP3 distribution and the arrests they made vs. how many folks did and continue to do the same thing. It's a different world and laws take time to catch up to that, change being as frightening as it is to some. Money yells the loudest for a long while.

Copyright extensions really piss me off too. Every dog has its day. You (more likely your predecessors) created something successful. Now learn to let it go.

Last edited:
I disagree with the comment. Because I think awesome people spend their time trying to hack into stuff and share information with the public.

But he didn't even hack into it, didn't he already have access? Idk.
From what I gather, he just wanted to share the articles.

MIT refused a plea bargain.. JSTOR accepted it.
Fuck you, MIT. You have blood on your hands, as well.

Even rapists, murderers, and drug dealers get plea bargains and don't serve sentences as long as he was going to get.

I think it's unrealistic to not expect information to be shared in this "digital age."
(As Vict mentioned. I agree.)

I could believe he was gang stalked and bullied to death by authorities because he made such strides in his activism...which would be unbearable especially if you have a mental health problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: toska
I dont get it. So he was stealing digital books? That is worth about two weeks of community service at most.

I don't blame him. The prosecutor seems like he needs to be reviewed by the bar or something. I don't think it is ethical to chase big cases to make a name for yourself as (what I assume is a job as a public prosecutor). Stealing scholarly articles - articles written for learning, and then from a university which has a mission to teach people - big deal. If you have to steal knowledge from the university you attend then the university is a failure.

I'd rather kill myself than go to prison as well. From the little I've heard on the subject, I don't think he should have gotten any time in prison.

regarding the comment, it just sounds like someone who is trolling, or just has no clue so they formed an opinion on the matter like ignoramuses are wont to do.

Last edited:
I feel horrible for him but I think I can see why he took his life... :(

I'm all for spreading knowledge, sharing is caring. I always wonder why pedos and rapists don't get as much time in prison. Poor guy didn't corrupt anyone's life, this world is too fucked up for words.

Swartz pissed off some very powerful people, people who are a part of the corporate machinary of power in the US because he did a number of things for example he: openly criticized the US and the Israeli regime for launching joint cyber attacks against Iran, criticised Obamas 'kill list', he was fighting the corporate control of the internet (eg PIPA, ACTA, SOPA) and he set up 'Demand Progress' to fight to keep the internet free and open

Here's an article tlking about his political activism and how you can help play a part:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/we-are...inst-the-intellectual-property-racket/5318873

The elites have a number of tools at their disposal when they want to deal with dissenters. They will often either physically assassinate someone or they will character assassinate someone. In Swartzs case they have done both

One of the tools the corporate powers have is psychiatry; they are behind the DSM so they define what 'normal' is and they've played the psychiatry card here. Theyve accused him of having a disorder and they also have a dig at 'introverts'. I've posted a lot recently about how introverts are targeted especially due to the creation of the 'extrovert ideal' because they're known to reflect on things a lot and don't always bow to authority

The article i have posted a link to says he was bullied into taking his own life but I don't believe Swartz killed himself i believe he was murdered to sioence him and to intimidate others

I'd just like to say I appreciate all of the responses in this thread. Please keep them coming.

The article i have posted a link to says he was bullied into taking his own life but I don't believe Swartz killed himself i believe he was murdered to sioence him and to intimidate others

Time to cite some sources, muir, or forever be known as a jackass who belittles the memory of great people through the propagation of conspiracy theory.
Note: Your own intuition is not a source. Neither is a quote from a banker who died in the previous century.

Reactions: acd
...My first comment when seeing his picture is "damn, guy is hot." *burrows head in shame*

The matter really is perplexing. If anything it speaks a lot about how strong and nonsensical the copyright law is.

Then the matter of justice comes into play. It's really unfair. :|

Reactions: Radiantshadow
The charges are bullshit. Also, JStor is going free soon, with many of its files to be accessible to the public.

I think this shows just how terrifying knowledge is to those who want to continue controlling an ignorant populace.

The charges are bullshit. Also, JStor is going free soon, with many of its files to be accessible to the public.

I think this shows just how terrifying knowledge is to those who want to continue controlling an ignorant populace.

Indeed, they were bullshit. Even before he attempted to distribute the information, it was and is easily accessible and publicly available. Universities provide those databases to their student bodies and are freely accessible in any university library. Although paid for by student fees and are copyright protected, yet they were still egregious and exaggerated charges against the young man. More than many convicted of far worse typically receive.

Ok so far we've had a bunch of posters all agree that the charges are bullshit....so can we roll this out a little further.....

The charges ARE bullshit and they were trumped up by the corporatocracy to put pressure on this young man who was bravely standing upto them and clearly had huge potential to stand upto them in all sorts of inventive ways

He was young, smart and able and was clearly an inspiration to other young people....that's the real reason he was targeted by the establishment

Time to cite some sources, muir, or forever be known as a jackass who belittles the memory of great people through the propagation of conspiracy theory.
Note: Your own intuition is not a source. Neither is a quote from a banker who died in the previous century.

I have been providing evidence all over the forum, but its upto you to look at it then exercise your ability to think

By 'think' i don't mean parrot what you are told by others, i mean brush off the cobwebs from that part of your brain that thinks for itself and then use it

You don't get to decide how i am remembered 'forever' and I'm not 'belittling' anyones memory....in fact i am the one honouring swartz by explaining to people what he was really about...what he believed in and how he was standing up for his beliefs.

The corporate media want to hide his political activism, paint him as crazy and brush him under the carpet and i'm working against that

If you don't think quotes from famous and influential people are valid evidence then you are not really grounded in reality. Stop indulging in wishful non thinking and instead listen to what people throughout history are telling you and you will move closer to the truth

openly criticized the US and the Israeli regime

Oh yeah the jews did it for sure.

/sarcasm

From the very little i know of him, he was awesome, and he was indeed bullied to set an example. I hope that people will become even more anti corporations and that more information will continue to flow freely over the internet.

Last edited:
I think this woman's response is reflective of my own minus a slight level of justifiable retribution. I do think they need to be taken to court. I think the family needs to hold them accountable in a civil suit.

I have been providing evidence all over the forum, but its upto you to look at it then exercise your ability to think

By 'think' i don't mean parrot what you are told by others, i mean brush off the cobwebs from that part of your brain that thinks for itself and then use it

You don't get to decide how i am remembered 'forever' and I'm not 'belittling' anyones memory....in fact i am the one honouring swartz by explaining to people what he was really about...what he believed in and how he was standing up for his beliefs.

The corporate media want to hide his political activism, paint him as crazy and brush him under the carpet and i'm working against that

If you don't think quotes from famous and influential people are valid evidence then you are not really grounded in reality. Stop indulging in wishful non thinking and instead listen to what people throughout history are telling you and you will move closer to the truth

I don't think you're in any position to tell people whether they are grounded in reality.

You are talking out of your ass by claiming that he was assassinated and not providing evidence to support your claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trifoilum
Swartz pissed off some very powerful people, people who are a part of the corporate machinary of power in the US because he did a number of things for example he: openly criticized the US and the Israeli regime for launching joint cyber attacks against Iran, criticised Obamas 'kill list', he was fighting the corporate control of the internet (eg PIPA, ACTA, SOPA) and he set up 'Demand Progress' to fight to keep the internet free and open

Yes, because everyone who criticizes the government or demands a free internet is killed.
That's why everyone in the US is now dead.

In other news, the discovery of fire was a plot by the global elites to keep mankind dependent on heat.

Reactions: SealHammer
Yes, because everyone who criticizes the government or demands a free internet is killed.
That's why everyone in the US is now dead.

In other news, the discovery of fire was a plot by the global elites to keep mankind dependent on heat.

No they ar not in a position yet to kill or dispose of all dissenters because people still have guns and the means to defend themselves but they do focus on people they see as a significant threat for example Julian Assange or Swartz

I don't think you're in any position to tell people whether they are grounded in reality.

You are talking out of your ass by claiming that he was assassinated and not providing evidence to support your claim. Congratulations, kill yourself.

I am providing evidence of the influence of a powerful cabal of people who always seek to silence dissent

That is a reality