Prevalence of emotional abuse | INFJ Forum

Prevalence of emotional abuse

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
How prevalent do you think abuse, emotional abuse in particular, is? When you answer this question, do you have a specific community, population, or cultural/geographic group in mind?

If you find the society you're in to be generally aggressive - whether that's day to day interactions, the media, conduct by persons in authority, etc., do you find this to border on emotional abuse? Do you find (if you do) the levels of aggression present within our day to day society to border on interpersonal violence?

Where is the line between emotional abuse vs. an incompatibility in levels of sensitivity between two or more people? Especially when one person isn't unreasonable but happens to be very sensitive, more so than average and the other people aren't abusive per se but are only sensitive to an average extent? I hope that makes sense.

How prevalent do you think emotional abuse is worldwide? Is it possible to answer this question without being ethnocentric or is emotional abuse a universal concept that cannot be "excused" by cultural norms?

Other thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
People abuse others emotionally all the time.

People who want to get/change something from/about another, but cannot use reason/discussion/reasonable requests either resign themselves to the fact, or try to use emotional manipulation. Emotional manipulation is abusive, in my opinion, when it is opposed to what is reasonable (or what is reasonable good for the other person).

For example, to emotionally pressure children into eating a balanced diet (greens, etc.) is not unreasonable - if done in a moderate way. But emotionally pressuring someone to set aside their obligations, for one's own social satisfaction seems abusive.

I think people sometimes try to emotionally abuse me, to deprive me from a legitimate sense of enjoyment/satisfaction with my life. Fortunately I am mostly a detached, cold, heartless bastard when it comes to being pressured into a guilt-trip.

The thought that enters my mind immediately is the emotional abuse some take on while trying to help others have a normal life: normalcy being subject to interpretation. It is so much easier for some to just walk away and thus relieve themselves of the emotional abuse, but when one loves another more emotional abuse is carried on one's shoulders. Those we love we inherently try to help. We are walking on thin ice and should be well aware of that.

One might actually postulate this as a form of self abuse if one actually knows their emotions will be abused trying to help someone they love. That, in itself, at least takes away blame or resentment toward the loved one; it is no longer a "fault" but a decision.

The act of helping another in need can also predispose or incline one to know in advance they may have to touch the other's emotions carefully in order to share reality with the other they may be unaware of. If one tries to justify one's touching another's emotions to help bring light into a dark corner, one should carefully consider the consequences. They have placed themselves at risk of alienation or being locked out, sometimes forever, with no light but rather more darkness causing more confusion. Most people's emotions must be handled with great care and concern. Great pains can result from the best intentions for both or all parties involved. Great care must be taken and time must be given to expect the outcome to be fruitful. This can take years.

I personally think it possible for a person's emotions to be so damaged from childhood and/or being raised for them to have permanent scars, almost like an infectious disease, that can start "bleeding" at any moment and can spread like a deadly poison through their mind.

"Don't try to fix me; I'm not broken" comes to mind also. The one sees the emotional trauma easily and tries to help someone that sees themself as one that needs no help. Both are sensitive, but to different things. I like to remember Ecclesiastes' "time and place for everything". Never force feed someone that is not hungry, and never assume someone will be receptive to another's sensitivities.

After reading about it, I think emotional abuse is very prevalent. At least in my own life, I've been subjected to quite a bit of it. A few things come to mind:

School: First thing that came to mind. At school, when you're sensitive and forced to spend time with others who are more aggressive than you are, I'd say emotional abuse is practically unavoidable. There are always those kids who go around manipulating others, belittling them, shaming them, making them feel insecure... Most teachers (I'd say about 70%) I've come across have also been emotional abusers, by either ignoring the needs of students that are being bullied or treated poorly, or even making fun of students and making them feel even more worthless.

Inner City Groups: Because people growing up on 'the wrong side of the tracks' often face numerous types of abuse and general fear, they tend to feel that emotional abuse is a way of protecting themselves or gaining control in a situation where they feel like they don't have any. I have some cousins in Detroit, and they live in a very rough section of the city. When I met them, I was ill-equipped to adjust to their constant abuse. I could tell that they were only acting the way they were because of the way they were brought up (not that it's ever really an excuse), but it still hurt, especially because they're related. I don't know exactly if it's fair to say that the majority of those people from the ghettos are abusive, but statistically, abuse is quite high in these areas.

Small Town Mentality: In the small town in which I live, and I imagine many surrounding communities, there's a ton of emotional abuse everywhere. Gossip is the worst form of this, paired with passive-aggressive behaviour and destruction of people's reputations and respectability (even of those who are innocent). It's mostly those people whose families have been here for a long time. They seem to pun on the persona that they think highly of themselves; but also have a noticeable hopelessness. It's an endless cycle here, it seems. The majority of people here in town are single mothers with 3-4 kids. The mothers of these kids tend to have a very cynical and untrusting view of life, and many of their former partners were alcoholics or slept around. The women then seem to form alliances with eachother, and there are many feuds that break out (which leads to the emotional abuse being thrown back and forth). Their kids eventually learn this behaviour themselves, and many feel like they're stuck in town, never to escape from the life their parents had. Those that don't leave usually keep the unfortunate cycle going.

TV: I find that TV is becoming far more aggressive and ill-natured than ever before. Criticism of others is made to be comical, name calling is an acceptable part of life, the need to fit in and be 'normal' is emphasized. Even on kids' shows, to be sensitive is construed as weakness; calling people geeks and nerds in a derogatory way is OK, being cool is the most important thing, girls are supposed to be a certain way, guys have to be a certain way.... all of these expectations shown on TV have a direct effect on how people treat eachother, and often, this brings up opportunities to hurt others emotionally (intentionally or not). A lot of the time, kids will see something on TV and copy the interaction style in real life. If someone gets hurt, instead of apologizing, often the response is often "you're too sensitive" or even an insult. This can be an incompatibility of sensitivity, but it can easily go further.

In places where life is harder, I think it's fair to say the amount of any kind of abuse is higher.
I've come to think that sensitivity is almost taken for granted in the more well off areas of the world. Here in Canada, even the poorest people are within the top richest percentage of people in the world. We don't need to fight to survive. Many of the jobs here are people and service centred, where we take care of the emotional and psychological needs of people. Kindness is promoted (not nearly as much as selfishness and criticism of others, but it is promoted). Those who are naturally sensitive in poorer regions of the world, I would imagine, would have a harder time adjusting to life, especially boys, who in many cultures are expected to be cut throat and unemotional, so I would assume emotional abuse would be more prevalent there.

Overall, though, I think that as long as there are people, there will be emotional abuse. Whether it be for survival, or the result of immaturity, or a type of personality or other disorder, I think it will be prevalent everywhere. The important thing, I guess, is to know how to deal with it when you're subjected to it.