Preschoolers want less fat and more muscle | INFJ Forum

Preschoolers want less fat and more muscle

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4693695a19716.html

Young children are picking up a potentially dangerous message that fat is bad and muscle is good before they have even started school, a study of Australian preschoolers has revealed.

Parents and teachers of preschoolers are making little girls weight conscious and little boys want more muscle, according to the research showing kids form an image of "perfect body" ideals very early in life.
The study of four-year-olds by Melbourne researchers has found adults are unintentionally sending these negative messages in how they talk about their own and the child's body, said lead researcher Marita McCabe, a professor of psychology at Deakin University.
"Even at this young age, mothers are already communicating different messages to boys and girls," Prof McCabe said.
The study of 53 children across four kindergartens is the first to focus on the socio-cultural influences on body image among preschoolers.
Prof McCabe said the development of eating disorders was one of the dangers of parents and teachers communicating messages about "ideal" bodies to boys and girls.
"They do this by their attitude to their own bodies, and by suggesting to their daughter that they need to exercise more (to lose weight) and to their sons that they need to eat more (to increase their muscles)," she said.
"Education programs need to be developed and implemented among preschool teachers and parents, as it would appear that body-image concerns and associated behaviours are already present among children of this age."
Research shows that dieting and weight-control practices, including vomiting and laxatives, are common among 20-45 per cent of adolescent Australians, and may begin as young as eight years old.
One study found 71 per cent of school children wanted to be smaller than their current size, and only seven per cent wanted to be larger.

53 children is an awfully small sample. I also wonder if the study took into account that kids want to be bigger (older) in general. Considering they were working with 4 year-olds, it is a definite possibility. I wonder why they didn't provide the name of the study, and only those who conducted it.

Research shows that dieting and weight-control practices, including vomiting and laxatives, are common among 20-45 per cent of adolescent Australians, and may begin as young as eight years old.
Whose research? What percentage began as young as eight years old? Why haven't they provided the name of these studies?

One study found 71 per cent of school children wanted to be smaller than their current size, and only seven per cent wanted to be larger.
Whoever wrote this needs to learn to cite their sources. Without knowing anything about that particular study, it is difficult to determine how representative the results truly are.

I would say this article is rather poorly constructed. Using three unnamed studies as sources demonstrates a lack of journalistic integrity.

Last edited:
Tracked down the research article Edit: Link didn't work, it's called;
Where is all the pressure coming from? Messages from mothers and teachers about preschool children's appearance, diet and exercise

Ya have to pay for it though.

In their defense it was written by Australians...

Last edited:
Where is all the pressure coming from? Messages from mothers and teachers about preschool children's appearance, diet and exercise

It is a very interesting topic, but it's difficult to determine from the available information how relevant it is. The author of the article is obviously insinuating that 4 year-olds whose parents expose them to a certain "ideal" body type can grow up to develop eating disorders. However, the evidence suggested by the Professor indicates that the study focused entirely on how 4 year-olds perceive themselves and the rest of the argument was provded by the author of the article through uncited sources and comments made by the Professor. Without knowing the methods of the study, it is difficult to tell whether the Professor's remarks about parents have credence since it may be argued that the media plays just as great a role.

I'm not offending you by being cricital of your article am I? I'm practicing to be a better thinker.

No not at all, I posted it mostly as a point of interest I think it's great that you've questioned the relations that the article indicates, it's a good example of why you shouldn't accept things at face value.

It is interesting even as anecdote, I think we do train our children into unrealistic expectations of themselves.

Looking at most little kids these days, I went for a walk as soon as I saw the article, they NEED that. Too many of them are little fat bastards.

Why does telling them that they are wrong as they are, help them in any way?

Hey, don't make me start with the New Zealand Jokes ;)
(Others note: New Zealand and Australia have a history of sharing derogatory jokes, it's a cultural thing)

Back to the topic, children shouldn't care about their appearance although I agree they are generally becoming fat. But I blame that on parents giving them the wrong types of food, an issue that is most visible in non-western countries like Japan. There people don't eat very much but the sudden change in diet has caused an obesity epidemic.

I'm not offending you by being cricital of your article am I? I'm practicing to be a better thinker.
hsve you ever tested as INTJ before? we actually sound alot alike with that whole overcritical thought thing...but you show your INFJ when you ask if he is offended:angel: i wonder if there is such thing as borderline INFJ/INTJ...most infjs i've read about/observed seemed a bit "nicer" than me lol

hsve you ever tested as INTJ before? we actually sound alot alike with that whole overcritical thought thing...but you show your INFJ when you ask if he is offended:angel: i wonder if there is such thing as borderline INFJ/INTJ...most infjs i've read about/observed seemed a bit "nicer" than me lol

I've tested as every INXX. I often think the same thing. Since the first time I took the test I've always been on the border between T and F. Depending on my mood it can go either way. Some days I'm cute monkey Satya and some days I'm over critical Satya.

Most of the population (i think about, 97% ) doesn't get all of the nutrition that they need in a day. Those starving themselves and using laxatives are obviously among them and it seems to be an increasing trend. Of course, with the increase of production and consumption of fast food obesity is as well. I wouldn't want to be a kid these days, the pressure to look like a starved supermodel seems higher and a lot of parents don't bother paying extra for healthy food and usually go with what is convenient for their schedule and budget. (sorry for the run-ons, im in a bit of a hurry).

I've tested as every INXX. I often think the same thing. Since the first time I took the test I've always been on the border between T and F. Depending on my mood it can go either way. Some days I'm cute monkey Satya and some days I'm over critical Satya.

But no matter what, you are the Satya we all have come to know and love!