Positive effects of media | INFJ Forum

Positive effects of media

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Today, media is blamed for quite a few social ills or problems, especially pop culture. But what are some more positive effects of media, do you think?

For example, growing up, media was the way many came to know or understand the world, because most couldn't travel and weren't exposed to other cultures. For many families, there was diversity on tv but not in the communities.

Of course, with the advent of social media, our interaction is much greater, and pretty typical.

Thing is, it's always easier to think more about the negatives than the positives, so what are positive effects of media, whether tv, film, or social media?

Last edited:
I like watching the news, I enjoy being influenced and manipulated.

Hmm. Just thinking about it. Companies and their catch phrases. Like mcdonalds. "Have you had your break tooooday?" I always say in my head, "Well, no". Then I go to mickey d's and always get a happy meal. Like, if I had a choice between a happy meal, and a sad meal, I'll go for the happy meal. Probably because I'm an idiot.

Reactions: Nixie
It can be a means of expanding one's horizon's and encountering the world in a way that might not be possible otherwise. That it is also visual is a plus, too. Best to be highly selective though.

Last edited:
Negatives outweigh the Positives, so overall, I still look at it as a negative thing. Just my opinion, I understand others and I respect that, but I hate the media. For most things it gives us.

Negatives outweigh the Positives, so overall, I still look at it as a negative thing. Just my opinion, I understand others and I respect that, but I hate the media. For most things it gives us.

Me too. I can't see the positive things through everything that's wrong with media.

I like watching the news, I enjoy being influenced and manipulated.

Hmm. Just thinking about it. Companies and their catch phrases. Like mcdonalds. "Have you had your break tooooday?" I always say in my head, "Well, no". Then I go to mickey d's and always get a happy meal. Like, if I had a choice between a happy meal, and a sad meal, I'll go for the happy meal. Probably because I'm an idiot.
lol

For better or worse, our world is becoming ever more interconnected. One positive of media that I see, if utilized correctly, is to increase our sense of togetherness and help us realize that our nation's actions directly affect people on the other side of the world. It can be a way to bring people together under the flag of humanity rather than divide them in the name of individual differences. One example that comes to mind is natural disasters -- the earthquake in Haiti, the tsunami in South Asia, or Katrina in New Orleans. The media focused on the human tragedy aspect of these disasters and many people were motivated to give time, money, and resources towards helping the people affected. It's a tragedy in itself that it takes a disaster of such proportions to bring people together, but the media did play a major role in marshaling support and promoting solidarity (if that's the right word).

For better or worse, our world is becoming ever more interconnected. One positive of media that I see, if utilized correctly, is to increase our sense of togetherness and help us realize that our nation's actions directly affect people on the other side of the world. It can be a way to bring people together under the flag of humanity rather than divide them in the name of individual differences. One example that comes to mind is natural disasters -- the earthquake in Haiti, the tsunami in South Asia, or Katrina in New Orleans. The media focused on the human tragedy aspect of these disasters and many people were motivated to give time, money, and resources towards helping the people affected. It's a tragedy in itself that it takes a disaster of such proportions to bring people together, but the media did play a major role in marshaling support and promoting solidarity (if that's the right word).
This is similar to what I was thinking, only probably worded better. I am generally not a fan of the media at all, but...this is maybe the one positive I can see coming out of it.

I don't know. I for one, cannot discount media very fast. Are there negatives, absolutely, but there are positives as well. For instance; films are a form of art and I believe they need to be respected as such (of course just as not all paintings are art work, not all films are either). TV, ok, yeah I really don't have much good to say about TV but that is because immoral people feed the 'public' a lot of b***s*** through its use, but there are a FEW educational shows, and if for nothing else mild entertainment. However, the most ground breaking media type that has defined the way we live is the internet. As of right now, the internet is (for the most part) pure. Meaning you get what you want when you want it. Instant gratification of course being an issue as well as the fact that instant knowledge isn't necessarily a great thing. But I digress, my basic test for media (which I just came up with) is, "Is this more like the fake, gossip filled 'People' magazine, or the reputable, eye-opening 'National Geographic'? The trick is balancing entertainment with learning.

As far as the internet though, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing....
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...12/what-is-virtualism-and-why-you-should-care

My two cents.

Last edited:

Agreed.

Well said.

I don't know. I for one, cannot discount media very fast. Are there negatives, absolutely, but there are positives as well. For instance; films are a form of art and I believe they need to be respected as such (of course just as not all paintings are art work, not all films are either).

Agree

I just sat here for a really long time trying to think of something positive but I just couldn't.

Entertainment.
Some news/information sources.

...creating awareness, connecting.

When it's not being used to sensationalize and scandalize and sell junk, there is plenty good about media.
Depends on what it's used for.

Last edited:
i'm beginning to think more and more that the media exists to train us

media educates us about emotions, teaches us it's own brand of morality

the news is full of sensationalism
hardly anything is really investigated
where is the in depth reporting?

real info is boring

humans want their emotions to be stirred
the drama makes the money

i could go on and on about this

my advice is to stop watching the tv for a while
stop listening to the radio too
avoid the mainstream for a bit

it's just processed info
like junk food

it might fill you up, but it'll never satisfy

...creating awareness, connecting.

Agree. I think democracy wouldn't be as widespread if we didn't have an active media based on freedom of the press and freedom of speech. Without those tenets, the media would not give us the level of awareness and connection we have today.

i'm beginning to think more and more that the media exists to train us

media educates us about emotions, teaches us it's own brand of morality

the news is full of sensationalism
hardly anything is really investigated
where is the in depth reporting?

real info is boring

humans want their emotions to be stirred
the drama makes the money

i could go on and on about this

my advice is to stop watching the tv for a while
stop listening to the radio too
avoid the mainstream for a bit

it's just processed info
like junk food

it might fill you up, but it'll never satisfy

Horray for not having watched TV for over 1 year and hardly ever listening to the radio?

Nice post Myself, I fully agree.

yeah, just watch mtv and think about what they are teaching us

game shows are all about suspense, over the stupidest shit

deal or no deal...

what kind of game is this?

reality tv, getting worse and worse

and the masses lap it up

the best thing we have is sports
the drama of battle
our team vs their team
flexing the muscles
stroking the ego

sell them beer
cheese burgers and processed corn

stay tuned for the news

watch the desperate housewives

yes we are entertained, but we are giving up our valuable time

we suppress our own potential and tune into some producers idea of existence

it dumbs us down

consider the character of our culture today
what do you see?

wheres the love?
what about respect for each other, for nature?

media needs a big overhaul
just like our food industry
like our education system
like our modes of transportation

our entire way of life
it's sold to us through the media

yeah, just watch mtv and think about what they are teaching us

game shows are all about suspense, over the stupidest shit

deal or no deal...

what kind of game is this?

reality tv, getting worse and worse

and the masses lap it up

the best thing we have is sports
the drama of battle
our team vs their team
flexing the muscles
stroking the ego

sell them beer
cheese burgers and processed corn

stay tuned for the news

watch the desperate housewives

yes we are entertained, but we are giving up our valuable time

we suppress our own potential and tune into some producers idea of existence

it dumbs us down

consider the character of our culture today
what do you see?

wheres the love?
what about respect for each other, for nature?

media needs a big overhaul
just like our food industry
like our education system
like our modes of transportation

our entire way of life
it's sold to us through the media

There's one aspect of media that I do find enlightening - and that is a documentary type movie. One where the intent is to share information and they actually use scientific research for references.

Yet - essentially - I agree with you myself. I haven't "watched" tv in 15 years or so. Although I watch the news - but about 5 years ago I quit that. Then I would peruse the internet news. A year ago - I cut way back on that. I do not seek the news every day off and on all day like I used to do. Only randomly or if I hear about something.

I find that I'm calmer without seeing the news everyday. And when I do take the time to look now - I find the same old headlines. One can almost predict the course of behavior that will follow a particular headline now. And if I can predict the behavior - can you imagine how much an advantage the ones who are in control have over the masses? You know they have statistical data and prediction companies ready to guide them at their fingertips.

Who said "All the World's a Stage"? I say - all the world is a play - and we're all acting out our roles to the script edited by The Director, The Producer, And the Executive Producer - which is = THEY.

There's one aspect of media that I do find enlightening - and that is a documentary type movie. One where the intent is to share information and they actually use scientific research for references.

Yet - essentially - I agree with you myself. I haven't "watched" tv in 15 years or so. Although I watch the news - but about 5 years ago I quit that. Then I would peruse the internet news. A year ago - I cut way back on that. I do not seek the news every day off and on all day like I used to do. Only randomly or if I hear about something.

I find that I'm calmer without seeing the news everyday. And when I do take the time to look now - I find the same old headlines. One can almost predict the course of behavior that will follow a particular headline now. And if I can predict the behavior - can you imagine how much an advantage the ones who are in control have over the masses? You know they have statistical data and prediction companies ready to guide them at their fingertips.

Who said "All the World's a Stage"? I say - all the world is a play - and we're all acting out our roles to the script edited by The Director, The Producer, And the Executive Producer - which is = THEY.

All of these recent posts ring so true for me. I also agree with the enlightening documentaries. My favourite was Blue Planet. Thanks again for all these latest posts. :)

Reactions: Capt Charisma
Agree. I think democracy wouldn't be as widespread if we didn't have an active media based on freedom of the press and freedom of speech. Without those tenets, the media would not give us the level of awareness and connection we have today.

Well...I agree and disagree. Mass media has the potential to do this, but it doesn't really. Most mass media is driven by corporate and political interests that are not going to fund the release of inconvenient information. The media does have to answer to someone.. It just depends on who is funding it.

I prefer public radio and news sources if I want information.

For awareness and connection, I am thinking of organizations like ICADV or INCASA, for example, that use media (internet) to link to other partner organizations in different areas.. or to make themselves available to the public for educational purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze