Polyphasic Sleep. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Polyphasic Sleep.

So, Ben, how is it going?

I've wanted to try this, but as a student, I haven't found the time. If you manage to pull this off without screwing up your mind I might try it in the christmas holidays.

Last edited:
I prefer bi-phasic sleep. It's basically just a 90 minute nap somewhere in the middle of the day and slightly shortening your normally longer sleep to 5-6 hrs instead of 8.

This is done across various countries in Europe.

this is all very interesting.

I'd love to try it out...

I've tried a few sleep deprivation experiments.

I'd like to work with people through lucid dreams.

Trying to figure out how to induce them and document them in a controlled setting.

Bi-phasic sounds nice...
I'm such a night owl anyway.
2:30-4pm is the lamest part of the day. Might as well sleep through it.

The major problem, assuming it works is it makes it hard to participate in society - eg work, attend class etc. Since your sleeping rhythm is completely different.

It's also a problem for people like me who do not fall asleep easily. :(

I've restarted things again, messed up a few too many times.
Accursed alarm system. >_<

I've done a lot of research and decided to try this out myself (the Uberman schedule). Because school won't allow me to nap every four hours, and because I probably won't be very productive during the adaptation period, I've decided to start the experiment in the christmas holidays (December 18th).

So, the problem with Uberman is obviously the adaptation period. After reading tons of blogs and a book, the major pitfalls seem to be:
- Having only one alarm
- Having only two alarms
- Keeping the alarms within reach
- Sleeping in bed (too comfortable)
- Not having enough to do when awake

With this in mind, I'm hoping to do better than 95 percent of the bloggers who tried this and failed miserably. Every one of them seemed to have missed at least one of the things mentioned above, so hopefully, I'll make it through the adaptation period (days 3-10 being the hardest). Also, having someone else wake you up is strongly recommended. I've made my mom and sister promise to wake me up as often as possible. :D You can't trust alarms to wake up someone who's sleep deprived.

Last edited:
"You have the most vivid dreams when you're awake" -My Penis

I am VERY interested to hear your updates.

I was actually planning to try this last year during my week off from work towards christmas but I never did it.

I reasearched Uberman and the variants quite a bit.

I was looking into a variation of the uberman schedule.

This was actually (If I remember correctly) developed by sailors that didn't have enough time to put in a full night's sleep.

The idea is to shock your body into immediately transitioning to REM when you fall asleep, cutting out all the fat.

From what I read, there isn't enough research to determine just how detrimental the effects are after you successfully adapt to the schedule. No one that has done it has posted any immediate detriments, nor people that had done it a few years prior for an extended period of time.

From what I read, there isn't enough research to determine just how detrimental the effects are after you successfully adapt to the schedule. No one that has done it has posted any immediate detriments, nor people that had done it a few years prior for an extended period of time.

I find it fascinating that sleep is still such a mystery. Relatively little seems to be known even about regular, monophasic sleep.

Steve Pavlina wrote extensively of his Uberman experience, and he suffered no negative side effects. The reason he converted back to monophasic was that regular napping clashes with practically everyone elses lifestyle, making it difficult to maintain. I'm not very concerned about possible detriments, as I'll only be doing it during the holidays, but it would sure be interesting to know.

When reading Pavlinas blog, I was particularly surprised by the fact that he was able to keep excercising regularly, as I thought deep sleep was needed for the body to recover. Apparently, it isn't.

I've made a model for maximum testosterone, you sleep for 3 hours 3 times a day. 3x3

Because every Uberman blogger has described the sleep dep during adaptation as the most horrible experience of their life, I've decided not to sleep at all this weekend. The point being I want to get an idea of what sleep deprivation feels like (I've never stayed up longer than 40 hrs). Hopefully, it's not just being exceptionally tired, that would seem like a waste. Maybe my thought processes (or lack thereof) could produce something interesting. I'll get up at 5:00 am tomorrow, and try to stay awake for, say, 80 hours.

According to one blogger, the first week of Uberman is like "being perpetually run over by a bus", which is rather unsettling.

I just want time to pass faster, december feels so distant, and I can't wait! Damn school schedule.
I'll probably just end up failing anyway, though. Lol.

Last edited:
According to one blogger, the first week of Uberman is like "being perpetually run over by a bus", which is rather unsettling.

Well some of us are unlucky enough to feel like that all the time, so...