Politicization Of US Census | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Politicization Of US Census

How about we include questions about gun ownership (number, types, etc.) in the census and see how the right wing feels?

How about we include questions about gun ownership (number, types, etc.) in the census and see how the right wing feels?
Brilliant! can you imagine if O'Bama did that?

Reactions: Wildfire and Wyote
It is reasonable for a country to try to keep track of the voting population.

It's been stated that having this information could help make more accurate voting boundaries/ electoral districts, and (hahaha) curb gerrymandering.

I think the census itself is benign, but the question is will that data be used to target illegal immigrants for incarceration or deportation?
- This is a realistic bipartisan concern that is only heightened under this president. My personal advice to non-citizens who fear they will be incarcerated or deported is: don't take the survey. A lot of immigrants (both legal and illegal) didn't take the 2010 census, either.
The problem with this is that data on population is ultimately inaccurate, but it isn't like the government's plans would change dramatically to benefit the overall population if they had more accurate data. Let's not kid ourselves.

@Asa @Sloe Djinn it is an interesting question as to what degree law enforcement can use census data. Individual responses are mandated as not shareable by federal law, I know a lot of people think the feds ignore the law but doubt that is really the case. They are certainly free to use the information that is made publicly available, and that data can be fairly precise. For instance it can show what block or apartment building (depending on the concentration of individuals) have indicated that they are not citizens. In the scenario where households do not fill out the census at all the gov will send someone to the door, not in all cases but in enough to make a statistical judgement. Remember there are plenty of non-citizens living legally in the US. The data that is collected is used not only by the feds but (and probably more importantly) by local gov agencies...fire departments, hospitals, school districts...not to mention the private companies and entrepreneurs. An accurate count is crucial in many regards.
If there is a large block of folks in a geographic area that do not fill it out is probably a bigger red flag to ICE than an area that does.

Reactions: Stu
@Asa @Sloe Djinn it is an interesting question as to what degree law enforcement can use census data. Individual responses are mandated as not shareable by federal law, I know a lot of people think the feds ignore the law but doubt that is really the case. They are certainly free to use the information that is made publicly available, and that data can be fairly precise. For instance it can show what block or apartment building (depending on the concentration of individuals) have indicated that they are not citizens. In the scenario where households do not fill out the census at all the gov will send someone to the door, not in all cases but in enough to make a statistical judgement. Remember there are plenty of non-citizens living legally in the US. The data that is collected is used not only by the feds but (and probably more importantly) by local gov agencies...fire departments, hospitals, school districts...not to mention the private companies and entrepreneurs. An accurate count is crucial in many regards.
If there is a large block of folks in a geographic area that do not fill it out is probably a bigger red flag to ICE than an area that does.

I can't really speak to what could actually happen with the data. I don't think that the federal government would take any concrete steps to try to secure specific information for enforcement purposes, but as you said, lack of response could indicate areas where there are higher concentrations of illegal immigrants. I'm not sure it would be worth their time or that they could even afford to engage in increased enforcement were they brazen enough to secure that data. My personal speculation is that this is intended to satisfy Trumps base, to reinforce a counter-narrative to cities/states that promote themselves as "sanctuaries", and to intimidate illegal immigrants into staying under the radar. Regarding the last one, I'm not sure if illegal immigrants are included in the population that decides how house seats are divided, but if they affect that, decreased reporting could mean less likelihood that seats will be divided in a manner favorable to them or those that sympathize with them.

@Sloe Djinn Currently apportionment of US house is based on total population as ascertained by the decennial census regardless of eligibility to vote (or citizenship) as mandated by the US constitution. The Constitution did not make any provision for citizenship in regards to apportionment, just personhood.
upload_2018-4-7_13-9-6.png

It is reasonable for a country to try to keep track of the voting population.

It's been stated that having this information could help make more accurate voting boundaries/ electoral districts, and (hahaha) curb gerrymandering.

I know, right.

- This is a realistic bipartisan concern that is only heightened under this president. My personal advice to non-citizens who fear they will be incarcerated or deported is: don't take the survey. A lot of immigrants (both legal and illegal) didn't take the 2010 census, either.

Social media used to promote social justice? It could happen.

The problem with this is that data on population is ultimately inaccurate, but it isn't like the government's plans would change dramatically to benefit the overall population if they had more accurate data. Let's not kid ourselves.

I skip it.

Reactions: Skarekrow and Asa