Political intelligence | INFJ Forum

Political intelligence

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
Are libertarians more intelligent than conservatives and liberals?

The short answer is “yes.”

Jonathan Haidt, a moral psychologist at NYU’s Stern School of Business, published a paper in 2012 with three colleagues exploring libertarian morality. Dr Haidt is well-known for his work on studying morality among conservatives and liberals in the US, but has become increasingly interested in libertarians (or, at least, he can no longer ignore us).

Among the factors that Haidt and his colleagues explore and compare with liberals and conservatives is intelligence, or at least one common measure of it:

The Cognitive Reflection Task is a set of 3 logic questions that have correct and intuitive answers. Correct answers on these questions is said not just to measure intelligence, but also to measure a person’s ability to suppress an intuitive response in service of the cognitive reasoning required to solve these problems.

[…]

Results.
Table 3 shows that libertarians find the correct answers to these questions at a slightly higher rate than liberals and moderately higher rate compared to conservatives (also see Figure 4).

Interpretation.
The cognitive reflection task provides a behavioral validation of the hypothesis that libertarians have a more reasoned cognitive style. In our dataset, this measure inter-correlates with both Need for Cognition […] and Baron-Cohen Systemizer […] scores, with libertarians scoring higher than both liberals and conservatives on all three measures. Taken together, a convergent picture of the rational cognitive style of libertarians emerges.

Although the Cognitive Reflection Task is just one test among many that attempts to measure intelligence, and although I am not a big believer that intelligence tests are any good at detecting intelligence (they are, however, great for analyzing structural issues within a society or across different societies), it’s hard to argue with the results: Libertarians score higher on intelligence tests than either liberals or conservatives. Here is the paper. I’d be very interested in reading through more literature that deals with this, but libertarians are new to a lot of scholars (which is why Haidt’s “common-sense” approach is being considered groundbreaking for including libertarians).

You don’t really need to read the paper though. Dr Amburgey, the house liberal of this blog, explains well why liberals tend to score slightly lower on intelligence tests than libertarians. Here, for example, is Dr Amburgey trying to tell me that the CIA is not really arming rebels in Syria if it goes through proxies like Qatar and Saudi Arabia. It’s an intelligent response, to be sure, but a libertarian – slightly more superior in his cognitive abilities, according to science – knows better.

Notes On Liberty‘s house conservative*, Dr Delacroix, amply demonstrates why conservatives are not in the same league as liberals or libertarians.

With the fact that libertarians are more intelligent than liberals and conservatives in mind, I’d like to take a moment to a) bask in the glory of it all, and b) go back to Rick’s question about the One Big Change that I’d like to make.

I think that there is a way to incorporate open borders into a One Big Change-style reform while also leaving room for other improvements such as financial competition in the markets (rather than between governments) and competing tax regimes. I’d dig deeper and go a little more structural. I’d federate the entire world, and I wouldn’t make the federation out of the current agglomeration of nation-states, either. I would destroy the states currently in place and federate the administrative units that currently operate underneath the nation-state.

This, I think, would do a great job of incorporating open borders (everyone is part of the same federal union now), financial competition (no more national banks), tax regimes (you can more easily vote with your feet), and a common legal system that protects individual rights such as private property and freedom of religion.

*Dr Delacroix is, of course, a libertarian. He just calls himself a conservative out of spite for liberals, and because he mistakenly thinks of himself as a paternalistic defender of the common man from Leftist condescension and aggression.

https://notesonliberty.com/2014/05/...-intelligent-than-conservatives-and-liberals/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Happy Phantom
In a crude, pack hierarchy sort of way.

So, they are like animals. Most humans don't attempt to forge a philosophy out of decked-out selfishness. A swiss cheese frontal lobe may cause this base way of thinking.

Have you met a libertarian who wasn't pissed off all the time? They seem mentally ill.
Well I consider myself libertarian in part. If I were to single out a political ideology here and call it mentally ill I would be chastised till the cows came home. However to your point, no I do not believe they seem that way. But I will say that every nominee for President over the past many years they have put forth seems to be disconnected. It's sad because I think they should be a viable party.

Well I consider myself libertarian in part. If I were to single out a political ideology here and call it mentally ill I would be chastised till the cows came home. However to your point, no I do not believe they seem that way. But I will say that every nominee for President over the past many years they have put forth seems to be disconnected. It's sad because I think they should be a viable party.
Sans sarcasm, I understand the appeal, but it is romantic. If someone sticks with this political (I guess) philosophy, then said person lacks a well-developed conscience.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...y-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives
I guess...."Notes on Liberty" holds way more water than "Psychology Today" which must be part of the liberal agenda to destroy Amerca!

Anyone can find any study...on any subject, to further convince themselves that their side is right or more correct.
How many liberal hate threads have you started now?
What purpose does it serve but to inflame people?
Why are you trying to further divide people by basically starting a thread to shit on a bunch of people....then use your "study" to try and justify it to yourself and anyone else?
You always say how smart you are...yet, you put out incredibly childish, insulting, and hateful posts and threads that run counter to said intelligence.
You can't act like a gentleman and not call everyone who disagrees with you in the slightest, inferior in some way?
Why the need to prove you are the most intelligent?
You do know that most INFJs have more liberal leanings when compared to INTJs right?
This is yet again a pointless thread for you to spread hate.

Last edited:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...y-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives
I guess...."Notes on Liberty" holds way more water than "Psychology Today" which must be part of the liberal agenda to destroy Amerca!

Anyone can find any study...on any subject, to further convince themselves that their side is right or more correct.
How many liberal hate threads have you started now?
What purpose does it serve but to inflame people?
Why are you trying to further divide people by basically starting a thread to shit on a bunch of people....then use your "study" to try and justify it to yourself and anyone else?
You always say how smart you are...yet, you put out incredibly childish, insulting, and hateful posts and threads.
You can't act like a gentleman and not call anyone who diagees with you in the slightest inferior in some way?
You do know that most INFJs have more liberal leanings when compared to INTJs right?
This is yet again a pointless thread for you to spread hate.
:m038:

I lean libertarian or classic liberal. I take offense to being compared to an animal.

In any case, Yes the party is full of people who are socially awkward and can't communicate a concept that works and makes sense without screwing it up. However, Libertarians are typically able to see invisible unmeasurable forces at play that others are not able to see. They are capable in ways others are not and lack in ways others do not. Generalizing, of course. I do not support open borders. Once the libertarians took that route I jumped ship. I still consider myself close to that label if I must pick one.

I don't care much for labels though. After 35 years I've become a CindyLouian. I Follow what I think.

I lean libertarian or classic liberal. I take offense to being compared to an animal.

May I borrow your user title for a moment?

In any case, Yes the party is full of people who are socially awkward and can't communicate a concept that works and makes sense without screwing it up. However, Libertarians are typically able to see invisible unmeasurable forces at play that others are not able to see.

Come again?

They are capable in ways others are not and lack in ways others do not. Generalizing, of course.

Autistic?

I do not support open borders. Once the libertarians took that route I jumped ship. I still consider myself close to that label if I must pick one.

I don't care much for labels though. After 35 years I've become a CindyLouian. I Follow what I think.

Declarations aren't convincing. Why do you believe [blank]? All I really know is that you don't support open borders.

Reactions: the and Skarekrow
Yes, I was being a smart ass.

Seriously, though, if you have convictions, why not support your cause? Why this or that?

I have many times here. I get tired of explaining myself after awhile. I'm watching fireworks with my daughter tonight. Maybe later. I think neolibs ought to get out more and meet more people with different views since they're so shocked around folks that don't share their views.

I have many times here. I get tired of explaining myself after awhile. I'm watching fireworks with my daughter tonight. Maybe later. I think neolibs ought to get out more and meet more people with different views since they're so shocked around folks that don't share their views.

I totally get that.

Reactions: James and CindyLou
I think there's more to life than narrow politics. And I think character and values have more to do with things than "intelligence".

There are some seriously messed up clever people, and huge numbers of decent people, who don't have degrees etc. Just because some one is good at sport, or maths, or whatever, doesn't necessarily make them a role model.

Smart people do all kinds of stupid things. They're generally just better at hiding it.

Libertarians seem to have a desire to live according to the laws of the jungle and still be superficially civilized. They seem to have a common thread of immaturity.

Libertarians seem to have a desire to live according to the laws of the jungle and still be superficially civilized. They seem to have a common thread of immaturity.

And what gives you this impression?

Reactions: James
I do know this: I'm resentful that I have to pick a side and spend all my damn time thinking about politics. I mean, I may as well become a religious fundamentalist of some stripe. The best government is one that doesn't monopolize your life.

I'm tired of declaring this or that as "who I am, dammit, and fuck you if you blah blah." I'm tired of thinking about INTPs. I'm tired of people who want to change their type, too. That's stupid. MBTI isn't a level system, there is no vertical ascension, and, there is no damned ivory tower. This "aspiration" nonsense is hilarious, pathetic, and eerie.

But why waste words? NFs can't comprehend anything; they see a Monet painting, they feel a rush of emotion. That's it.

Pathetic.

(That's why I changed my T to lowercase.)

Reactions: the