Philip G. Zimbardo Prison Experiment | INFJ Forum

Philip G. Zimbardo Prison Experiment

testing

On Holiday
Aug 14, 2009
MBTI
qwer
So, in an effort to keep from turning my sons into criminals, I decided to learn more about this Philip G. Zimbardo guy. He's pretty interesting. He did this experiment: http://www.prisonexp.org/ way back in the 70s on a bunch of unsuspecting college students.

Oh, and Life Lesson # 599: NEVER trust a psych professor who wants you to participate in a study.

Pretty interesting.

And he's also written a book called "The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil"

I thought Lucifer would like that.

Reactions: Lucifer
So, in an effort to keep from turning my sons into criminals, I decided to learn more about this Philip G. Zimbardo guy. He's pretty interesting. He did this experiment: http://www.prisonexp.org/ way back in the 70s on a bunch of unsuspecting college students.

Oh, and Life Lesson # 599: NEVER trust a psych professor who wants you to participate in a study.

Pretty interesting.

I always found this experiment to be absolutely fascinating. Thanks for sharing the link :)

Oh! Jeeze. I thought it was something Phil Zimbardo wrote about in his textbook.

He doesn't say that there is a positive correlation between crime and the different nurture of boys and girls.
Sorry if I gave you that impression :$

There might be research out there that proves / disproves this point.

Zimbardo's book is a great way to start learning about psychology anyway.

Great example about the power of social labels. Real cases: masters and slaves, the caste system in India etc. Label people from birth, and they all become it. They force each other into the expected behavioral clothes. The easiest way is by racial and cultural division (language, fashion). People will build prisons of stereotypical assumptions for everyone they meet, and will get one cell for themselves from the others.

Another study of Zimbardo:
Divide children in class into 2 groups, according to their eye color. Tell them one specific group (say, with lighter eyes) is superior than the other group - in everything. Soon, just in a couple of hours (!), both groups behave accordingly, and they actually become as they were told. The "lower" group present themselves in uglier ways, they speak as if they were dumb, they have trouble with actual comprehension - and they don't pretend, they don't just play, they really do it. Because they feel that way. And the other group presents itself as full of beauty and intelligence, and they actually are!

Magic? :m060:

Or we just can shape each other much more than we realize.

Enfp, wasn't that the experiment in the (Canadian?) school? I saw the video.

Enfp, wasn't that the experiment in the (Canadian?) school? I saw the video.
Not sure if you saw exactly the same experiment, it was probably repeated by others. It's supposed to be done in (primary?) school, yes.

Not sure if you saw exactly the same experiment, it was probably repeated by others. It's supposed to be done in (primary?) school, yes.
That's the same as elementary school, right?
I'm not sure what age they were however :/
It was just that one day the teacher divided them in groups and told them that one was superior, and the other day the other group was superior.
I think it had something to do with blue and brown eyes, like you said.

Sounds similar, could be the same.

Usually the easy justification for all that in real life is something along the lines of "god decided it's right to be that way" or "karma" .. ^^ .. "it has become this way, so it's right" :p

I did this last year as well hehe.My lecturer covered quite a bit on that. I have the book too but I'm too lazy to read it. I still prefer my sci-fi books HAHA