Paleo or Caveman Diet | INFJ Forum

Paleo or Caveman Diet

Is the caveman diet really a good idea?
Didn't they have a low life expectancy?

Yes, I've tried it.

It can work, but it does depend on how your body processes your food. If you tend to do better on a higher meat/lower grain/lower carb diet then this will work for you and you'll feel better on it. If, however, you tend to do better on a higher grain, lower fat diet, and higher carb, it may make you feel ill and uncomfortable.

The first few days you'll probably have headaches - this is because you've drastically reduced your carbs and your body's reacting to it. You may feel dizzy or crave carbs like no one's business the first few days. But if you're still feeling this way after a few weeks, I'd say the diet isn't for you.

It all comes down to metabolism, from what I understand. Certain metabolisms are better with grains and fruits, and others are better with meats and dairy products.

Reactions: NeverAmI
Is the caveman diet really a good idea?
Didn't they have a low life expectancy?

Lions, bears, and other big tooth predators aren't as common-place. Plus shelter is a big help. :p

Lions, bears, and other big tooth predators aren't as common-place. Plus shelter is a big help. :p

Somehow I knew you were going to use this argument :p

I would never survive on that diet no way. Sorry

Reactions: Diana
I've done this for a while now, and have never felt better. The weight flew off me and my energy skyrocketed (aside from a 2 week cold turkey period when I felt quite rotten). All the info you need to do it is at: www.marksdailyapple.com he addresses such issues as length of life of cavemen etc. I still have dairy, but I do fine on it, and aim for about 80% primal diet. It's the way to go, if you read the testimonials on Mark's Daily Apple there are all kinds of health benefits.

Reactions: Stu
I don't trust anything that has the word diet on it. :)

The only problem here I think is the no salt. Salt is essential.

Yea, I know what you mean. :p

Diet, to me, is just the same as lifestyle.

I don't view a diet as temporary. I have a current diet, this would be a modification of my current diet, which is currently set up to avoid high iron, which would have to continue.

It is well understood that basic meat, fruit, nuts, and vegetables are part of a healthy diet in the first place, well geared towards foods that are easily digested and have what the body requires without excess empty calories.

I don't really see the importance of living a lifestyle like a caveman, but rather getting the body what it needs to be optimal.

I like simple, I don't want to be running calculations and statistics for every thing I look at, I just want to go into a store, know what to buy, and be out.

This seems like a pretty good balance of optimization and simplicity.

The only problem here I think is the no salt. Salt is essential.

Unless you're going out and killing your own antelope in the wild African savannas, I guarantee you'll still likely meet your minimum daily salt requirements if you buy your fish and meats from a regular grocery store. The average, healthy person needs only about 500 mg of salt per day.

The toughest thing about this diet is the low carb and sugar intake. You're frackin' exhausted after the first few weeks... and not just from physiological changes either. The sheer overhaul of willpower this thing takes is pretty taxing.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Yea, I know what you mean. :p

Diet, to me, is just the same as lifestyle.

I don't view a diet as temporary. I have a current diet, this would be a modification of my current diet, which is currently set up to avoid high iron, which would have to continue.

It is well understood that basic meat, fruit, nuts, and vegetables are part of a healthy diet in the first place, well geared towards foods that are easily digested and have what the body requires without excess empty calories.

I don't really see the importance of living a lifestyle like a caveman, but rather getting the body what it needs to be optimal.

I like simple, I don't want to be running calculations and statistics for every thing I look at, I just want to go into a store, know what to buy, and be out.

This seems like a pretty good balance of optimization and simplicity.

Yeah, diet is supposed to be a nutritional lifestyle. But we live in this world of fad diets that are terribly unhealthy. So it's kind of ruined the word diet.

Sounds like your head is in the right place as far as the long term and all that. So, I hope it works out for you. I don't know what your current diet (ahh I used the D word :p) is like, but it sounds like kind of a drastic change all at once. That would be my only concern.

Simplicity is good. :) I like the shopping at the edges of the store concept to. That's a good guideline no matter what "diet" you follow.

I don't really see the importance of living a lifestyle like a caveman
Hahahaha! You know you want to.

Reactions: NeverAmI
Yeah, diet is supposed to be a nutritional lifestyle. But we live in this world of fad diets that are terribly unhealthy. So it's kind of ruined the word diet.

Sounds like your head is in the right place as far as the long term and all that. So, I hope it works out for you. I don't know what your current diet (ahh I used the D word :p) is like, but it sounds like kind of a drastic change all at once. That would be my only concern.

Simplicity is good. :) I like the shopping at the edges of the store concept to. That's a good guideline no matter what "diet" you follow.

Yea, I often take key components and adapt it to myself, usually easing into the process.

There was a point where I was sticking to 1000 calories a day and I lost a good amount of weight. I will be looking to get back to that eventually, it was high in vegetables and fruit, low on meat (except fish) and carbs. I will probably end up going back to that.

Hahahaha! You know you want to.

LOL, oh that one actually made me lol in the literal sense. :p

I don't think I could do this. I don't like root vegetables - especially the ones that have to be cooked. I don't like much meat, especially without knowing where it comes from and what it's been injected with. Actually, I often prefer food that doesn't taste cooked. I'd like to try a raw food diet.

I could totally see it working for some people though.
I'm fascinated by the way our society, including medical institutions, approach diets and health, as though there is one way to eat that's going to be most beneficial for almost 7 billion people of diverse ancestry and geographical location (aka ancestral food availability). Variety makes more sense. This is good.

Yea, I often take key components and adapt it to myself, usually easing into the process.

There was a point where I was sticking to 1000 calories a day and I lost a good amount of weight. I will be looking to get back to that eventually, it was high in vegetables and fruit, low on meat (except fish) and carbs. I will probably end up going back to that.

LOL, oh that one actually made me lol in the literal sense. :p

1000 calories is pretty low for a guy. Especially if you are working out. I think you could have a higher caloric intake than that and still loose weight.

I don't think I could do this. I don't like root vegetables - especially the ones that have to be cooked. I don't like much meat, especially without knowing where it comes from and what it's been injected with. Actually, I often prefer food that doesn't taste cooked. I'd like to try a raw food diet.

I could totally see it working for some people though.
I'm fascinated by the way our society, including medical institutions, approach diets and health, as though there is one way to eat that's going to be most beneficial for almost 7 billion people of diverse ancestry and geographical location (aka ancestral food availability). Variety makes more sense. This is good.

[MENTION=407]Soulful[/MENTION] I'm not much of a meat eater either. And beans are probably my biggest source of protein (plus I really like them). I wouldn't last long on that diet at all.

It's such a great point you make about everyone's nutritional needs being different. I am a big believer in that. It's just matter of finding out what really works for you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_6KIF4ZUs"]YouTube - Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - Dieto!?[/ame]

I've done this for a while now, and have never felt better. The weight flew off me and my energy skyrocketed (aside from a 2 week cold turkey period when I felt quite rotten). All the info you need to do it is at: www.marksdailyapple.com he addresses such issues as length of life of cavemen etc. I still have dairy, but I do fine on it, and aim for about 80% primal diet. It's the way to go, if you read the testimonials on Mark's Daily Apple there are all kinds of health benefits.

I was on this diet before for a few months before I went to college and I have to admit that that period of time was probably the healthiest I've ever been in my life. I weighed about 190 before I went to college, now I've returned to a slightly crappier diet and I weigh 220 (I've actually gained a lot of muscle so take that as you will). I'd suggest everyone give it a try, it won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

On the salt issue: Salt is imbued in nearly all the commercial food that we eat, you don't need to really worry about that.

I believe the caveman/paleo diet, as explained by the site "Marksdailyapple" is the best way to go about actually sustaining yourself on a caveman diet.

I do it (It's been 4 months now). Many studies points that diets with higher fat content lead to less inflamation, better cholesterol profile and more sensitivity to insulin so it's obviously pretty healthy. Also, the fact that in this diet we don't eat processed stuff is pretty good too.

At first, the temptation of eating pasta (or cakes if you have a sweet tooth) will be high and you'l feel some kind of sugar withwidrawal but after 2-4 weeks you'll be fine and you won't crave sugar anymore.

I recommend it.

Btw, many people that are on a well-known life-extension forum follow this diet or something similar.

THIS THREAD MAKES MY LIFE

I'm going to post a few links (with SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE) that the paleo "diet" (which is a fancy word for Shit That You Eat) is actually MUCH more healthy for you. Has anyone noticed the increase in "diseases of civilization" such as myopia, heart disease, OBESITY, diabetes, has all come after humans switched from a primal hunter-gatherer lifestyle to farming grains? There is plenty of evidence that shows that after this switch humans got shorter and FATTER and experienced a loss in brain mass(they actually got more dumb, compared to their buddies who stayed with their hunter-gatherer "diet". Obviously those ancient farmers were doing something wrong. That thing they were doing wrong was eating too many carbs and eating less meat. The problem here is that carbs turn to sugar in your body and your brain needs essential fatty acids (since your brain is an organ comprised almost entirely of FAT). And everyone knows that sugar is bad for you (diabetes, for example).

Now that you have a -basic- intro, here's those links (please read if youre interested, these articles are fascinating. and theyre all from reliable sources)
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/12/hadza/finkel-text

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128849908

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-finding-trace-disease-Egyptian-mummies.html

http://www.mnforsustain.org/food_ag_worst_mistake_diamond_j.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/01/AR2010010101611_2.html

also if youre not a big reading type, check out the movie Fat Head. Its a documentary in response to SuperSize Me

Reactions: Reon
Last edited: