Opposite sex interactions due to attraction? | INFJ Forum

Opposite sex interactions due to attraction?

Silently Honest

Retired Staff
May 12, 2008
MBTI
YANG
Does anyone get the idea that if we weren't biologically attracted to the opposite sex, we probably wouldn't have anything to do with them?

Or the opposite, we might get along better?

I'd have nothing to do with most of them, and indeed I don't.

The interesting ones though, I'm interested in what they gots to say.

Meh, I'm barely attracted to the opposite sex but I deal with y'all all the time. I think it's more of a personal issue, though. People can fascinate me, and the stranger people are the more fascinating they become.

Men are very, very strange. :m129:

Same as who though? And how do you know that? How are you sure you're not actually doing better then others because you keep it platonic, and detached sexaully?

These are the questions I've been asking myself lately. It isn't nearly as simple as the answer I just recieved.

Same as who though? And how do you know that? How are you sure you're not actually doing better then others because you keep it platonic, and detached sexaully?

These are the questions I've been asking myself lately. It isn't nearly as simple as the answer I just recieved.

That is a good question - I really don't know. Also, I'm not sure what it means to have a strong sex drive because mine has always been near nil. Is that better? I guess it makes things easier to want to have intimacy over sex, but I'm not sure if I'm 100% normal either. It's easier, yes. It's easy for me to not have sex and to not worry about it because it's no big deal to me. But who knows? I might be missing out, too.

But I like guys. They're easier to deal with. I have more male friends than I do female friends... always have. I like girls just fine and they like me just fine, but its hard to find other women I really gel with. I'm intimidated by other women... they seem so ...something I'm not. But I'm still fascinated by them. Glad I don't have to date them though. Been there, Done that.

I guess I like everybody then. I don't think its sex that complicates things. But I don't know if that true for most. Sex usually brings clarity for me, in an odd way.

But I like guys. They're easier to deal with. I have more male friends than I do female friends... always have. I like girls just fine and they like me just fine, but its hard to find other women I really gel with. I'm intimidated by other women... they seem so ...something I'm not. But I'm still fascinated by them. Glad I don't have to date them though. Been there, Done that.

I guess I like everybody then. I don't think its sex that complicates things. But I don't know if that true for most. Sex usually brings clarity for me, in an odd way.

Does anyone get the idea that if we weren't biologically attracted to the opposite sex, we probably wouldn't have anything to do with them?

Or the opposite, we might get along better?

Hmmm...

As they say... don't hate the player, hate the game.

It's the chase, the competition, the pride of it all that gets people all riled up. When that element is removed from the equation, intermingling sexes typically get along.

Games have rules.

I get along better with boys, typically. I like their humor and relate more with their interests. I guess I think they're more sincere to me.

Although if there wasn't sexual attraction, I'm pretty sure the gender difference would be much less apparent.

IAlthough if there wasn't sexual attraction, I'm pretty sure the gender difference would be much less apparent.
That's the key. Negating the biological attraction undermines the definitions of men and women and their compatibility, so the question is really unanswerable.

That's the key. Negating the biological attraction undermines the definitions of men and women and their compatibility, so the question is really unanswerable.

Well, yes and no...there are asexual folks who exist. At least 1% of the population has no sexual attraction to either sexes, so I guess you can always ask someone who is asexual if they feel there is an actual difference.

Yeah that does make sense...

Well, yes and no...there are asexual folks who exist. At least 1% of the population has no sexual attraction to either sexes, so I guess you can always ask someone who is asexual if they feel there is an actual difference.
Oh, I know about asexuals, and that they would lack the bias, but men and women have evolved for sexual reproduction, so even asexuals carry traits that have formed for biological attraction.

The thing about asexuals is that, even though they lack the gender attraction, they still are subjected to gender stereotyping and social constructs. If everyone were asexual, then those stereotypes would be less needed, and thus no one would feel the pressure towards them; that's when it would be less apparent. However, at the present moment, asexuals are still pushed towards a certain criteria, and although they may be less inclined to subject themselves to that, there's probably still a certain amount that they conform.

Although I have to say, I think sex does play a key role in determining stereotypes, but also prejudices. I think there would be less friction without that attraction.

Oh, I know about asexuals, and that they would lack the bias, but men and women have evolved for sexual reproduction, so even asexuals carry traits that have formed for biological attraction.

*Nod* Physical traits, anyway. I don't think asexuals categorize the human race in the same way, though. I think it's what GO said above, it's based on gender bias and societal bias more than actual sexual attraction. An asexual individual would look at a picture of someone considered "handsome" or "pretty" and just call them human without the graded standards.

I've often wondered if I'm asexual, actually. Or I'm just very low on the hormonal scale.

I should probably move this...

The thing about asexuals is that, even though they lack the gender attraction, they still are subjected to gender stereotyping and social constructs. If everyone were asexual, then those stereotypes would be less needed, and thus no one would feel the pressure towards them; that's when it would be less apparent. However, at the present moment, asexuals are still pushed towards a certain criteria, and although they may be less inclined to subject themselves to that, there's probably still a certain amount that they conform.

Although I have to say, I think sex does play a key role in determining stereotypes, but also prejudices. I think there would be less friction without that attraction.

I agree, but I don't know if there would be less friction. I think two asexual individuals wouldn't use sex as a criteria for whether or not someone is able to do something (and I think they'd share chores around the house) but there'd still be friction. The attraction is a biological impulse, but I wonder if the asexual would be attracted to other things, such as the mind. Or the spirit of a person.