Online vs IRL Personality Typing Errors | INFJ Forum

Online vs IRL Personality Typing Errors

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I've noticed that sometimes there's a tendency for some of us to take the personality tests and use them to judge someone online based on the personality the person says they project in the real world or online.

And when typing anyone online, we also seem to type them based on an impression taken from their online personality, and apply it to our understanding of who they are in the real world. For example, if someone expresses high Fe online, it is assumed they are not strongly Ti (or NT).

Now, in many threads they discuss the development of secondary or tertiary functions which is probably quite relevant to this discussion, but I'm not familiar enough with the theory of typology to discuss this in detail or as an expert.

But what I would like to learn from everyone is what are common typing errors or judgments about your personality type based on projected impressions online or irl?

Personally I don't know. I am pretty similar both online and off. I couldn't keep up any level of faking, it simply wouldn't be sustainable or healthy for me.

However, with text it is very easy to misread the intent or even the context in which someone says something. Anyone that has observed me in tinychat over a period probably has a much better grasp of my personality.

Maybe people observe me as MUCH more forceful in these forums than I actually am. I mean, I will argue a point, and I might even take things out of context, but I don't mean harm on anyone, it is more about getting to the bottom of things. It is much different in a verbal discussion, especially on webcam. However, I am not as good at collecting my thoughts in a verbal discussion. Too fast paced for me!

Last edited:
I'm highly dynamic in real life (Eh, the colloquial term would be that I'm a moody girl) but generally online I can come off as a superbly strong thinker or a weak feeler. Once I reveal my personality type (as of now) people tend to think that I'm an unfeeling bastard (Actually, it's quite funny. When I used to think I was an infj, people thought I had repressed empathy but when I changed my type to INTJ, people just thought I was a unemotional ass. On this very forum) Typically, when I'm actually on tinychat cam, I seem like an really energetic intj. My personality thread on the forum ranges from INtj, INTP, ENTP, INFJ, and other types.

It's hard to type someone online, you can get a 'good' guess if that person is acting naturally but even still you'll probably only see an extroverted function and depending on the forum's bias, that could be anything from Te, Se, Ne, or Fe.

Addendum: Eh..This really isn't a good post, I'm just not sure where to go with the post atm.

The question is not about anyone faking their personality. It's a question of how we perceive ourselves and the various parts of our personality which we project online or in person. And how often personality is judged based on an incomplete picture or an impression.

The question is not about anyone faking their personality. It's a question of how we perceive ourselves and the various parts of our personality which we project online or in person. And how often personality is judged based on an incomplete picture or an impression.

How can we know? If I am not aware of me projecting myself differently from what I intend, then very few people actually make me aware of that or even know that is the case. Usually only through conflict do you find out that there was a misinterpretation somewhere. I try to be as verbose as possible to make my intentions and demeanor make sense.

I actually really enjoy analysis such as that, but people think of it as self-centered. In all actuality I am simply the only mind I have insight into and I thoroughly enjoy understanding how others perceive me not to boost the ego, but rather to see the cause and effect of certain actions.

As for me judging others improperly based on a limited frame of reference, yea, that happens all the time. A lot of people judge me based on limited frame of reference too, but that is because I am too shy/modest to reveal a lot to those I don't know particularly well.

Am I still missing the question?

And to be honest, I think I'd be more INTJ at work if high Fe wasn't so important for the area I teach and those I interact with. I'm more task oriented than people oriented or a balance of both depending on the situation, but when I am at my most T, I'm taken too seriously or people tend to think something is wrong, and less accepting or positively responsive (which I realize is a Fe concern). As a result, for an easier life, I resort to high Fe. Being Fe makes my life much easier than an expressed Ti preference.

And there's that whole "worrying too much about what people think" which makes it almost impossible to exercise Ti in full.

Last edited:
I have a hard time distinguishing different personalities period, the only people I can type easily are ISTJs, INFJs and ENFPs. MY big fault is usualy distinguishing between N and S by themselves. Ususaly I can see and NF or a St easily, but NTs and SFs are kinda hard for me.

As for that I try not to stereotype people on campus as we have a wide variety of each type, we have ISTJs with no F and an ISTJ with a strong F the same goes for other types and other functions.

I'll admit though that I have read posts online and found them a bit odd, looked at the persons type and said "oh... I see, there not an INFJ". Not a good thing to do but I've done it none the less.

as for me on and offline, I'm pretty much the same

How can we know? If I am not aware of me projecting myself differently from what I intend, then very few people actually make me aware of that or even know that is the case. Usually only through conflict do you find out that there was a misinterpretation somewhere. I try to be as verbose as possible to make my intentions and demeanor make sense.

I actually really enjoy analysis such as that, but people think of it as self-centered. In all actuality I am simply the only mind I have insight into and I thoroughly enjoy understanding how others perceive me not to boost the ego, but rather to see the cause and effect of certain actions.

As for me judging others improperly based on a limited frame of reference, yea, that happens all the time. A lot of people judge me based on limited frame of reference too, but that is because I am too shy/modest to reveal a lot to those I don't know particularly well.

Am I still missing the question?

No, you're not missing it. I just wanted to clear up for everyone that the question is not so much about projecting a false self, but more about what people believe or perceive about others and themselves in regards to type. And if anything, it's more about your comfort level in a particular environment or setting.

I agree with you that there are common misunderstandings of what we write or say and why, especially misunderstandings of reasons or intentions/motives.

Last edited:
And to be honest, I think I'd be more INTJ at work if high Fe wasn't so important for the area I teach and those I interact with. I'm more task oriented than people oriented or a balance of both depending on the situation, but when I am at my most T, peopel think I'm too serious or think something is wrong and are not very accepting or response (which I realize is a Fe concern) so then, for an easier life, I resort to Fe. Being Fe makes my life much easier than an expressed Ti preference.

And there's that whole "worrying too much about what people think" which makes it almost impossible to exercise Ti in full.

I dunno, real Ti is not negative, it is neutral. Perhaps people simply don't like people digging though. I suppose I can think of a few situations where I didn't want people questioning my every decision/motive. Though, sometimes I can say something without really any intent to hurt, and it gets taken completely the wrong way. I have gotten pretty damn good at avoiding that though.

Usually I am pretty interested in neutral analytical discussions.

I think neutral is so much better a description of Ti than objective. Objective seems to have a negative connotation to me. Maybe people take it out of context.

I'm highly dynamic in real life (Eh, the colloquial term would be that I'm a moody girl) but generally online I can come off as a superbly strong thinker or a weak feeler. Once I reveal my personality type (as of now) people tend to think that I'm an unfeeling bastard (Actually, it's quite funny. When I used to think I was an infj, people thought I had repressed empathy but when I changed my type to INTJ, people just thought I was a unemotional ass. On this very forum) Typically, when I'm actually on tinychat cam, I seem like an really energetic intj. My personality thread on the forum ranges from INtj, INTP, ENTP, INFJ, and other types.

It's hard to type someone online, you can get a 'good' guess if that person is acting naturally but even still you'll probably only see an extroverted function and depending on the forum's bias, that could be anything from Te, Se, Ne, or Fe.

Addendum: Eh..This really isn't a good post, I'm just not sure where to go with the post atm.

What you describe makes sense. I think too many people have the idea that that you can't have high Fe and Ti simultaneously. You must be either/or. I know the theory of functions hinges on the importance of making distinctions between the seeming contradictory functions but I think it is strongly misguided, giving many the impression that if you are high Ti, that you're unable to exercise high Fe or fail to see the importance of Fe.

What you describe makes sense. I think too many people have the idea that that you can't have high Fe and Ti simultaneously. You must be either/or. I know the theory of functions hinges on the importance of making distinctions between the seeming contradictory functions but I think it is strongly misguided, giving many the impression that if you are high Ti, that you're unable to exercise high Fe or fail to see the importance of Fe.

Yea, that sort of plays into the whole Fe is positive and Ti is negative connotation.

Now, Fe can create obvious bias towards people that would limit Ti's ability to interact, but then again, who ever said Ti had to be expressed? :D

I don't see any reason why someone couldn't have healthy Fe combined with Ti. However, I would think in a natural state the Ti dominant would need time to recharge from an overabundance of Fe.

so we confuse who people are in the real world based on how they act online? and we misunderstand who they are online or in real life based on what their personality type says about them? if that's what you're saying, then I agree with you, the personality types -all of them- are generalizations at best and would not be able to completely describe how a person really is, whether offline or on. and also, sometimes people act really differently online compared to how they are offline, the real world is a totally different environment to the online world, and therefore people wouldn't respond to stimuli in the same way. for example, if you heard about a person getting into a drunk driving accident in the real world, you might respectfully offer your condolences, because that would be the polite thing to do. however, on the internet, you might voice your real opinions, which are that he was a fool for driving drunk. alternatively, your suppressed sympathy for him might be fully expressed on the internet, making people perhaps inaccurately believe you are more outwardly sympathetic to others than you are in real life. I think there are many different pressures present in the real world that condition us to act a certain way, that online are different or completely absent.

Interesting question. My conversation and writing styles are totally different. I wouldn't know how to write the way I speak. I don't know what effect that has. My writing is a mix of my poor grammar and spelling combined with too many years of formal papers. In conversation and real life I'm usually telling jokes and asking people questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I dunno, real Ti is not negative, it is neutral. Perhaps people simply don't like people digging though. I suppose I can think of a few situations where I didn't want people questioning my every decision/motive. Though, sometimes I can say something without really any intent to hurt, and it gets taken completely the wrong way. I have gotten pretty damn good at avoiding that though.

Usually I am pretty interested in neutral analytical discussions.

I think neutral is so much better a description of Ti than objective. Objective seems to have a negative connotation to me. Maybe people take it out of context.

Agree, Ti is grossly misunderstood. But it's also the case that Ti needs to tempered with some Fe - the everything in moderation principle is important here I think. And to add to what you're describing, when I am more Ti ( I guess), it is sometimes taken the wrong way as you and Reon mentioned, and then sometimes judged harshly for it.

I've developed a healthier as well as self-destructive level of Fe. Healthy, in the sense that I am more outgoing and extroverted or not as withdrawn irl as I used to be, but on the other hand, work or family requires I focus so much on people's feelings and perceptions, being sensitive, more relaxed or easy going, in order to create a favorable or stress reduced atmosphere, that I can't simply be all Ti, most of the time.

And gender plays a strong role in this. Women are still, however far we've come, not allowed to be as Ti as they want to be, because we are held to a higher standard of sensitivity at the interpersonal level. We are socialized to express a higher level of Fe compared to men. I observe this in many work settings.

As I've said, I'm not an expert on typing or the functions, but there is too many overgeneralized assumptions being made about people based on perception of their type, which I know I'm guilty of myself.

Distinguishing personae from persona is eminently difficult in forums. I tend to write in a formal style due to force of habit, and the result is very dry. My conversation style is completely different.

Exactly. I'm formal online, too formal or academic sometimes, and even in person as well (because of work). But with close friends and family, of course it's different. I will also tend to be more formal the less comfortable I am in a setting. When I know I can't just relax and be myself, of course I am going to be formal. Because i know, from experience, that if I become too relaxed or more authentic, that it will most assuredly be misunderstood. Which is why someone would never really get to know me even if I chatted with them online regularly. Not even in person am I "authentic". I'm much more relaxed and myself talking on the phone with a close friend.

Last edited:
Ti needs to tempered with some Fe - the everything in moderation principle is important here I think.

lol sorry but i've gotta ask, why? completely objective analysis could be a very useful thing, especially in industries such as science & technology :p even psychology as a discipline discounts the importance of Fe when trying to understand the mind

lol sorry but i've gotta ask, why? completely objective analysis could be a very useful thing, especially in industries such as science & technology :p even psychology as a discipline discounts the importance of Fe when trying to understand the mind

No one said completely objective thinking or analysis wasn't useful. That won't be disputed. In communication however, dealing with people, you can't always depend on Ti to get you from point A to B. Fe, in some ways, is more concerned with creating an atmosphere which fosters less direct or uncomfortable communication. It's more about the individual and social, not about the mental.

It is a fact that we need balance of functions. It's not always either/or. It's relative to the situation, circumstances, field, etc. High Fe is clearly not appropriate in some situations, and high Ti is clearly not the best approach in others.

Last edited:
No one said completely objective thinking or analysis wasn't useful. That won't be disputed. In communication however, dealing with people, you can't always depend on Ti to get you from point A to B. Fe, in some ways, is more concerned with creating an atmosphere which fosters less direct or uncomfortable communication. It's more about the individual and social, not about the mental.

It is a fact that we need balance in this world. It's not either/or.

in every context? i'd disagree with that. not every situation involves communicating with people, just like not every situation requires objective thinking. there are pockets of experience which end up being more productive if only one or the other is utilized! i agree overall though, when you're considering the whole of a person's life, then yes you'd need a moderation of this and that, and an individual devoid of either would not be a very happy monkey :m202:

in every context? i'd disagree with that. not every situation involves communicating with people, just like not every situation requires objective thinking. there are pockets of experience which end up being more productive if only one or the other is utilized! i agree overall though, when you're considering the whole of a person's life, then yes you'd need a moderation of this and that, and an individual devoid of either would not be a very happy monkey :m202:

Please reread the statement. It was edited.

How exactly does psychology discount the importance of Fe? And completely objectivity, while being technically impossible, doesn't seem to be effective in most situations. I'd assume that we have four main functions (from primary to inferior) for that very reason, it's hard to live by using only one or two functions.