On Spirituality | INFJ Forum

On Spirituality

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
Many people seem to have a different definition of what spirituality means to them. Some say it is the relationship with a god, others the meaning one gives to their lives, while others say it's merely a mystical mumbo jumbo for people that have nothing more important to do with their lives.

However, lately, I've been pondering about what exactly it means to be spiritual, and I've come to a semi-conclusion that everyone deals with spirituality in some way or another. In my opinion, if you're a sentient being with a consciousness and free will then you're everyday dealing with the subjective experience is getting in touch with a non-physical source that guides your intent to a higher state of awareness. Some people believe only in the objective, and give no importance to the subjective because if it can't be measured and placed under a microscope it isn't really important and is irrelevant to them.

But then, one must ask, why are people so interested in anything, even in the so-called objective experience if it isn't to satisfy your subjective experience as well?

What are your thoughts on this, and what is your personal definition of spirituality?

Spirituality.

For most of my life I would not go near that word as it is usually tied to Religion.
oth...For all of my life I have "felt" something was there, though, I could not quite grasp it? Comprehend? I didn't know what it was and I didn't know how to describe it - but it was there - and that was ok with me.

.....getting in touch with a non-physical source that guides your intent to a higher state of awareness

If you are suggesting this is spirituality - then I'd say my personal definition is Love.

Love being the all inclusive Love of family, friends, lovers, mates, people everywhere, sentient beings, the totality of Earth; that permeates and connects the web of life. I would even go so far as to think it's the actual "nothing" that connects "everything" in the universe.

There's something to be said for the objective world, in that there are genes, planets, physical tendencies described by physics, reactions described by chemistry, etc etc. Where spirituality really enters for me is in the realization that consciousness exists in reality. I get the notion that a scientific goal will one day be to disprove the existence of consciousness. However, I am experiencing consciousness so I must say that it cannot be disproven - much like if physics attempted to disprove gravitational forces. There is some greater context that we're not perceptive to, and all of this fits into it. There's something underlying it.

Where many would say that there is a physical world, and there is a spiritual world - I say there is only one, and that there is a universal context in which everything lies, both material and spirit. Of course, it could be that one is derived from the other. Matter is derived from spirit, or spirit is derived from matter. Either that, or if it's layered, where spirit would result in matter, and that matter would then result in manifestations of spirit within that matter. Now I just went and confused myself.

An open-minded sense of awareness can spawn a walk down the path of spirituality. Being spiritual allows vision of thought and feelings others may possibly never ponder. This vision could be in the form of mere understanding, allowing the mind opportunity to see something without having the need for it to have a physical form. The spiritual may be in touch with virtual realities others may question the existence of. Spirituality may be explained as an acute awareness of everything around oneself, while actually becoming part of this awareness through participation of sorts. One realizes one can participate in the spiritual world without visible exertion of only physical energies.

It is difficult trying to explain this without religion, as I am a very religious person.

Last edited:
spirituality, to me, means a connection to everything; a one-ness, a connection with everything. everything including god. god is everything.

To my mind, objectivity and subjectivity are ends of a single river with a single basin. If one wishes to get technical, humans are creatures of adaption* - growing from a seed in the misty past, absorbing the gift of consciousness from the world, and finally flowering into something at once beautiful and terrible. Hope (subjective) feeds survival (objective), the two feed off one another. Deny either and one denies themselves. Balance is essential (it is important to note that the two things listed above are not the only fountains of expression, merely the strongest that I've observed; please correct me if there is an aberration).

Spirituality is an expression of belief concerning one's relationship with something outside themselves - most likely the most selfless thing one can have with another. Often this takes the form of religion; if that floats someone's boat, glorious; if not, wondrous. To me, life is a plethora of rivers with all organisms as undercurrents that dance and intertwine, eventually gathering in an ocean of mutual appreciation and love - my spirituality lies in humanity.

*scientific or through personal achievement starting from a blank canvas, take your pick.

Reactions: Kgal
spirituality, dealing with things of the spiritual nature.

Spiritual meaning things of a non-physical nature.

Which would encompass most religions, pseudo-religions and cults.

I agree with many of the ideas expressed here. I do believe objective reality/truth is out there, but the nature of this reality is so vast, complex and nuanced that it simply cannot be taken in as an entirety. Even within a single spiritual path one must be prepared for diverse approaches/perspectives and means of relating and/or understanding. This is the reality of the situation for all of us, regardless of our path. The biggest problem is trying to over-simplify the concepts concerned. These ideas may have a unified clarity, but they are far from simplistic. The infinite and finiteness can interrelate and blend in marvelous ways, but in the end we must be prepared for the idea that we will never "get it" completely, even though we may find we are "gotten" by that which is truly infinite.

In the world of spirituality, teachers attempt to break things down for inquirers into manageable bite-sized chunks, and their efforts are appreciated. But we cannot (nor is it generally recommended) that we stop there. They create doors for us, doors that we must ultimately choose to enter ourselves, engaging in trust and love with the heart of a learner. A certain humility is required, for there is much (mostly assumptions) that we may have to let go of. What we embrace, however, is of incalculable beauty, so it is worth the letting go.

From the outside we perhaps only see the doors with their seemingly trite and formulaic customs, weird terminology, and out-of-touch structures. There is generally far, far, FAR more to it than this. I suggest trying to get to the heart of what these doors are speaking to/about and move forward from there into a marvelous world that truly speaks to all that was, all that is, or all that shall be....a world that speaks to our minds, intellect, heart, spirit, and soul...just as we are.

Reactions: Kgal