On Raising ENTP Children | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

On Raising ENTP Children

I think we're speaking about raising ADHD/ADD children, because it appears you are speaking about an out of control child--they'd typically be diagnosed with this. I think that my cousin's son, who I don't keep in touch with but I hear she has a hard time with him, just must be an ENTP in this case. He's always tipping over the grocery cart, biting his 8 month year old brother, and in general being a brat. 4 years old....I've heard that it's terrible. Thank god that I don't babysit.

Plus, these are problems with most kids. My dad is diagnosed INFJ, and when he was a kid he was fucking terrible. He was always climbing on top of things, pulling the hot ironing board (once it fell on his face), and doing all sorts of disruptive things.

Last edited:
1. DON'T LIE! (lies to children to help them understand count as lies, and they'll never believe you know anything at all if you tell them something they find out later to be inaccurate and won't trust you)

2. Provide them a GOOD library of books, above their reading level, and a GREAT dictionary, thesaurus and grammar book. The dictionary, thesaurus and grammar books should each be at least one volume. More is better. My dictionary is 4 volumes, each 4 inches thick, 14 inches tall, small writing.

3. If the kid shows budding potential with regards to music, and has found a non-standard method of learning by himself, let him, don't stop him from his own methods.

4. Get him enrolled in a traditional scouts if you can. None of this Eagle Scouts or american spinoff of Boy Scouts.

5. explain that even though he might feel silly or too old to start a new skill, it's better to start as soon as possible. This is in reference to computer science, biology, partner dancing, martial arts...

6. Provide an extensive library, including intelligent graphic novels from Vertigo, ask your comic store owner for mature books with no sex.

7. Support his interests, even when he shows only a little interest in them, often he'll hide the interest for fear of being thought weird, different, or too fickle.

8. Don't indoctrinate him into any religion, but provide a library of every "holy book" you can find, even Satanism, or Yazidi.

Wolfe, Deathjam, Lucifer, Onotari, got anything else to add?

I don't see anything intrinsically ENTP about this list. Everything on this list applies to me and yet, I'm not. I think most child deserve this sort of treatment.

ENTP children thrive from support, so whatever subject they do and enjoy, encourgement is important even throughout teen hood and adult hood.
Don't be suprised if your little ENTP desides to change his or her interests. ENTP's are like walking encyclopedias, we love knowledge. So naturally we like to explore many different subjects. It takes a while to find out what we are good at, so patience is a must.

Corporal punishment doesn't work for anybody, really. It doesn't induce respect, only fear. Often, that's followed closely by what you've also experienced: spite.

In your humble opinion, perhaps someone would be curious to know what sort of corrective measures would work for an ENTP?
I agree with this. I'm all for what I like to call the 'psychology of minimum force', which means figuring out what the minimum level of force you need to accomplish an effect, it could be as light as a suggestion to stop or as heavy as a spank -- depending on the situation. If you have to escalate the level of force (spank to paddle to belt, etc) you are obviously using too much force when it is not needed, thus having that child develop tolerance to the high level of force, or failing to positively reinforce good behaviors and redirect the negative ones. My nephews and nieces love me, and are very good at listening to what I tell them, but thats not because I don't give discipline or say 'no' when its needed. Its because they trust me enough not to resent my decisions because I take an active interest in what they do and who they are.

Sorry i went a little OT. Carry on gentlemen.

Last edited: