Odds of Life on Mars... | INFJ Forum

Odds of Life on Mars...

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
So what do you think are the odds that there is life on Mars? I heard they recently found water on Mars, and that they found the soil to be not much different than what you would find in your back yard, so that probably means the conditions are ripe. If there was life found on Mars, should we bring it back here to study? What do you think the cultural/religious significance would be if we discovered life on another celestial body?

It's possible but given the extreme conditions on Mars I'd say unlikely, I would expect life to be found in geothermal areas where temperatures might be relatively mild and constant. No way would I want them to bring anything back! I would rather we study the wee martians from a far... who knows what alien bacteria/viruses might do to our unprepared immune systems. I'm not sure about the cultural and religious significance of finding life but if it was intelligent I think mankind would become more united than ever before, racism/nationalism seems a bit silly when aliens species are invading.

Stone said:
It's possible but given the extreme conditions on Mars I'd say unlikely, I would expect life to be found in geothermal areas where temperatures might be relatively mild and constant. No way would I want them to bring anything back! I would rather we study the wee martians from a far... who knows what alien bacteria/viruses might do to our unprepared immune systems. I'm not sure about the cultural and religious significance of finding life but if it was intelligent I think mankind would become more united than ever before, racism/nationalism seems a bit silly when aliens species are invading.
I Don't want them to bring anything back either. Martians are goddamn psychotic, if you don't believe me go get yourself membership at a video store.

Not to mention that they're all toting powerful death rays.

Statistically the odds are there is life on other planets. It wouldn't suprise me if there was life on Mars, but I agree it should be studied from afar for safety.

If there is intelligent life from anywhere else and I met them, I'd tell them to either wipe out humanity or run far away and never contact us again. We cannot be trusted. We'd freak out band together and either capture them for study or wipe them out due to our fear. I think thats why we have not been contacted, if they are smart enough to be able to contact us they'd also be smart enough not to.