North Korea, war? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

North Korea, war?

I personally am not worried in the slightest about the inane and rancid ramblings of Kim Jong-un, to be honest, these are the actions of a power hungry despot losing his grasp on control.
Ok. I am.

Look at the country he controls. Look at how people live their lives and how they die. This is a person / regime with no moral anchor. Give such a person nukes and then may actually use them.

Look at the country he controls. Look at how people live their lives and how they die. This is a person / regime with no moral anchor. Give such a person nukes and then may actually use them.
I see.

He has a history of spewing bombastic rhetoric at everyone and anyone. Such a move would see him lose on every front at every turn. For a man who craves power, this isn't an option.He knows it and his advisors know it. Hence why he's relegated to spouting abuse over the fence at his neighbors in the south. He's been playing this game since 2013.

Although it's good to see South Korea's allies show moral and physical support in such times. The South Koreans have been working very hard over the past few years to be good contributors to the global market. They must be supported and reassured that the west will protect them.

North Korea poses greatest immediate threat to US

President Trump warned a "major, major conflict" with North Korea could result from the ongoing standoff over its nuclear and missile programs, but said he hoped diplomacy would prevail.

In an exclusive Oval Office interview with Reuters ahead of the 100-day benchmark in his administration, Trump candidly acknowledged that the international situation could go off the rails.

"There is a chance that we could end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea. Absolutely," Trump said.

"There is a chance that we could end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea."

- President Trump

"We'd love to solve things diplomatically but it's very difficult," he added.

Trump also said South Korea should pay for the $1 billion U.S. THAAD anti-missile defense system in place to protect it from an attack from the north.

The wide-ranging interview also included Trump's plan to defeat the Islamic State terror network.

"I have to say, there is an end. And it has to be humiliation," he said, when asked about what the endgame was for defeating Islamist violent extremism.

But talk was dominated by the North Korea situation, which has vexed past presidents, but seems to have reached a fever pitch amid repeated threats and new tests of missiles by Kim Jong Un.

"He's 27 years old. His father dies, took over a regime. So say what you want but that is not easy, especially at that age," Trump said. "I'm not giving him credit or not giving him credit, I'm just saying that's a very hard thing to do. As to whether or not he's rational, I have no opinion on it. I hope he's rational," he said.

Trump said Chinese President Xi Jinping is helping to mitigate the issue.

"I believe he is trying very hard. He certainly doesn’t want to see turmoil and death. He doesn’t want to see it. He is a good man. He is a very good man and I got to know him very well.

Trump spoke just a day after he and his top national security advisers briefed U.S. lawmakers on the North Korean threat and one day before Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will press the United Nations Security Council on sanctions to further isolate Pyongyang over its nuclear and missile programs.

The Trump administration on Wednesday declared North Korea "an urgent national security threat and top foreign policy priority." It said it was focusing on economic and diplomatic pressure, including Chinese cooperation in containing its defiant neighbor and ally, and remained open to negotiations.

U.S. officials said military strikes remained an option but played down the prospect, though the administration has sent an aircraft carrier and a nuclear-powered submarine to the region in a show of force.

Any direct U.S. military action would run the risk of massive North Korean retaliation and huge casualties in Japan and South Korea and among U.S. forces in both countries.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/28/trump-warns-major-major-conflict-with-north-korea.html

Do not like war but we cant have a crazy dictator threatening our country and our allies. Looks like we are on the brink. The time of paying off North Korea to stay quite is over.

The Nodong 2 (aka Rodong) is a medium-range ballistic missile and an improved version of the Nodong 1 missile. The Nodong 2 range of 1300 - 1500 km makes it a real threat to Japan and South Korea.

Development of the Nodong line of missiles probably began in the 1980's; the first known flight test occurred in May of 1990. Hundreds of Nodong missiles have been produced and many have been exported to other nations. It is believed that Pakistan's Ghauri missiles and Iran's Shahab series are based on the design of the Nodong.

Sources: missilethreat.com; NTI.org

North Korea began development of this missile in the mid-1990s. A CNN report on July 5, 2006, indicated that North Korea had tested six ballistic missiles during an exercise the previous day. The Taepodong-2 missile that was launched during the test failed after some 40 seconds in the air, crashing into the Sea of Japan. (cnn.com)

If successful in flight, the Taepodong-2 could reach the west coast of the United States as well as many other countries. When coupled with North Korea’s ongoing nuclear development program, this creates a potentially serious concern for the U.S. and its friends and allies.

There are no publicly known, confirmed photos of the Taepodong-2 missile.

It is possible that what is known in the West as the Taepodong 2 is really a satellite launcher known in North Korea as the Unha-2. As with most details of North Korean activities, this too is not known for a certainty.

Sources: nti.org; also missilethreat.com; also missile.index; also globalsecurity.org

PENTAGON
Pentagon eyes Iran-North Korea military connection
By Lucas Tomlinson, Jennifer Griffin

Published May 05, 2017
Fox News
Facebook Twitter Email Print

NOW PLAYING
Experts suspect North Korea and Iran are working together

When Iran attempted to launch a cruise missile from a “midget” submarine earlier this week, Pentagon officials saw more evidence of North Korean influence in the Islamic Republic – with intelligence reports saying the submarine was based on a Pyongyang design, the same type that sank a South Korean warship in 2010.

According to U.S. defense officials, Iran was attempting to launch a Jask-2 cruise missile underwater for the first time, but the launch failed. Nonproliferation experts have long suspected North Korea and Iran are sharing expertise when it comes to their rogue missile programs.

“The very first missiles we saw in Iran were simply copies of North Korean missiles,” said Jeffrey Lewis, a missile proliferation expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey. “Over the years, we've seen photographs of North Korean and Iranian officials in each other's countries, and we've seen all kinds of common hardware.”

When Iran tested a ballistic missile in late January, the Pentagon said it was based on a North Korean design. Last summer, Iran conducted another missile launch similar to a North Korean Musudan, the most advanced missile Pyongyang has successful tested to date.

Defense analysts say North Korea's Taepodong missile looks almost identical to Iran's Shahab.

“In the past, we would see things in North Korea and they would show up in Iran. In some recent years, we've seen some small things appear in Iran first and then show up in North Korea and so that raises the question of whether trade -- which started off as North Korea to Iran -- has started to reverse,” Lewis added.

Iran’s attempted cruise missile launch from the midget submarine in the Strait of Hormuz was believed to be one of the first times Iran has attempted such a feat. In 2015, North Korea successfully launched a missile from a submarine for the first time, and officials believe Tehran is not far behind.

Only two countries in the world deploy the Yono-class submarine - North Korea and Iran. Midget subs operate in shallow waters where they can hide. The North Korean midget sub that sank a 290-foot South Korean warship in 2010 -- killing over 40 sailors -- was ambushed in shallow water.

North Korea denied any involvement in the sinking.

“When those midget subs are operating underwater, they are running on battery power—making themselves very quiet and hard to detect,” said a U.S. defense official who declined to be identified.

During testimony last week, Adm. Harry Harris, the head of American forces in the Pacific, warned the United States has no land-based short- or medium-range missiles because it is a signatory to the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces, or INF, treaty signed in 1987 between Russia and the United States. But Iran and North Korea are under no such constraints.

"We are being taken to the cleaners by countries that are not signatories to the INF,” Harris told the House Armed Services Committee late last month.

Perhaps most worrisome for the United States is that Iran attempted this latest missile launch from a midget sub Tuesday in the narrow and crowded Strait of Hormuz, where much of the world's oil passes each day.

Over a year ago, Iran fired off a number of unguided rockets near the USS Harry Truman aircraft carrier as she passed through the Strait of Hormuz in late December 2015. The U.S. Navy called the incident “highly provocative” at the time and said the American aircraft carrier was only 1,500 yards away from the Iranian rockets.

In July 2016, two days before the anniversary of the nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers, the Islamic Republic attempted to launch a new type of ballistic missile using North Korean technology, according to multiple intelligence officials.

It was the first time Iran attempted to launch a version of North Korea’s BM-25 Musudan ballistic missile, which has a maximum range of nearly 2,500 miles, potentially putting U.S. forces in the Middle East and Israel within reach if the problems are fixed.

The extent of North Korea’s involvement in the failed launch was never clear, apart from North Korea sharing their technology, according to officials.

In Washington Thursday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson tried to garner support for more United Nations sanctions against North Korea by hosting leaders from Southeast Asia. Days after Iran’s first ballistic missile test of the Trump administration, the White House put Iran “on notice.”

Lucas Tomlinson is the Pentagon and State Department producer for Fox News Channel. You can follow him on Twitter: @LucasFoxNews

I'll eat crow if Russia does not step up and place their S-400 and S-500 anti-missile missile systems in North Korea now. Both China and Russia helped to make North Korea a stronger nation after the Korean War.
The North has little to lose if they think their allies will keep making them stronger.

As of 2015, approximately 75% of their exports went to China.

I cannot help but wonder if China is sharing technology with Iran, who shares it with North Korea. I also cannot help but wonder how many countries would counter-attack America should we attack the North.
If the US has "all options on the table", they had best have a rather large table and some thinkers that think outside the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eventhorizon
I'll eat crow if Russia does not step up and place their S-400 and S-500 anti-missile missile systems in North Korea now. Both China and Russia helped to make North Korea a stronger nation after the Korean War.
The North has little to lose if they think their allies will keep making them stronger.

I cannot help but wonder if China is sharing technology with Iran, who shares it with North Korea. I also cannot help but wonder how many countries would counter-attack America should we attack the North.
If the US has "all options on the table", they had best have a rather large table and some thinkers that think outside the box.
Besides getting a nonUS presence in NK, what do you think Russia thinks it gets out of the deal if you are correct?

More allies and munitions sales, of course. By placing his own air defense systems there, he is furthering his plans of war. The window for the North will soon be closing, and he has a new front against America.
I've watched Putin many years closely. We move a ship; he moves three. We fly near his border, he flies near ours: testing our responses, where they come from, how long it takes, files that info away.

He has them in Syria now, right? New airbase and port, right?

Last edited:
America and North Korea should be talking (hear they could be) and working something out. China should let the North know they have limits, as should Russia. Whether they already have nukes and delivery systems or not, China and Russia certainly do. It no longer matters what Kim does. If we respond to an attack, the world will not have such a bitter taste in their mouth. Nobody in the world will be upset if we react to his aggression. Give it time to work itself out. If he attacks, I would guess we will react with our expensive smart weapons...while Assad drops barrel bombs and Russia tries to plant Iran on Israel's borders....a country that vows to destroy Israel.

Where does Russia stand with our nuke agreement? Anyone? His actions are more serious than the North's. He is more of a global concern than Kim. I say let Kim rattle his little fist, while we try to bring him into the real world.

How many countries are still building nukes? Research it. It's there for everyone to see. There are things we need to do and work toward, but it should be including all nations building more and playing with more. All of them. We all have a common enemy, to quote a man speaking to me. It is not Kim. Don't ask...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...oosts-trade-north-korea-china-cuts/102389824/

Reactions: just me
Nor I.

North Korea has fired a ballistic missile that passed over Japan, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters early Tuesday.

A South Korean military official told NBC News that the missile was fired around 5:57 a.m. local time on Tuesday. The official said that the missile flew for about 2,700 kilometers (1,678 miles), reaching a maximum altitude of 550 kilometers (342 miles). U.S. Pacific Command projected that the missile splashed down at 6:29 a.m. local time.

Japanese broadcaster NHK reported that the Japanese government warned that a North Korean missile was headed toward the Tohoku region at the northern end of the country. NHK also reported that Japan took no action to shoot down the missile.

The Japanese broadcaster reported that the North Korean missile broke into three pieces and fell into the sea.

Dow Jones industrial average futures opened more than 100 points lower following the news.

While the U.S. Department of Defense said it is still assessing the missile launch, the North American Aerospace Defense Command determined that it did not pose a threat to North America.

Reuters reported that Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the missile test was a threat that Tokyo would respond to firmly.

"This ballistic missile launch appeared to fly over our territory. It is an unprecedented, serious and grave threat to our nation," the top government spokesman told reporters.

Suga called the test a clear violation of United Nations resolutions. He also said that Japan will work closely with the U.S., South Korea and other concerned nations to find a timely and appropriate response.

The South Korean government has called for a national security council meeting at 7 a.m. local time, according to a presidential spokesperson. South Korean authorities have not issued an evacuation order.

The Japanese government has urged people in Tohoku to take refuge in solid buildings or underground shelters, according to NHK.

On Monday, U.S. and Japanese servicemen concluded joint exercises in Hokkaido, Japan's northernmost major island. Currently, South Korean and U.S. forces are in the middle of their annual joint exercises.

A senior U.S. intelligence official told NBC that this would be the first missile test to pass over Japan on a high altitude trajectory. In 1998, North Korea fired a missile through Japanese airspace.

Tensions surrounding North Korea's missile tests have ratcheted up throughout the summer as Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump engaged in a war of words.

Trump previously warned Pyongyang that threats against the U.S. would be met with "fire and fury." North Korean state media subsequently responded by saying that it was considering striking the U.S. territory of Guam.

A missile would need 3,500 kilometers (2,175 miles) of range to hit Guam.

— NBC News and Reuters contributed reporting.

We may be headed to war folks. Hold on.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...able-as-pentagon-flies-bombers-off-coast.html

North Korea's foreign minister called U.S. President Donald Trump "a mentally deranged person full of megalomania" and promised a strike on the American mainland was "inevitable" in a blistering speech to the United Nations General Assembly Saturday.

Inevitable strike on the US mainland? Inevitable... That s hit is a declaration of war. Lay waste to every military target North Korea has. F this s hit. Put little Un in the grave.

North Korea's foreign minister called U.S. President Donald Trump "a mentally deranged person full of megalomania" and promised a strike on the American mainland was "inevitable" in a blistering speech to the United Nations General Assembly Saturday.

Inevitable strike on the US mainland? Inevitable... That s hit is a declaration of war. Lay waste to every military target North Korea has. F this s hit. Put little Un in the grave.
A war with North Korea is what I'd prefer to sanctions.

Last edited:
Past niight time photos show North Korea dark. It's about to become the brightest nation on earth in that regard.

A war with NK (North Korea) could have very positive results, an expanded sphere of influence for the United States, a non-dictatorial government for NK. Businesses could also function there after the war.

In fact, the United States should expand more. There's an entire world out there that's ripe for seizing.

American interests could unilaterally set the pace for global affairs.

A war with NK isn't going to necessarily be glamorous, but the aftermath could be. A world that really is united, a peace that's maintained through adherence to American will.

Last edited:
Do I sense sarcasm?