Cornerstone

May 31, 2012
London
MBTI
Pisces
Enneagram
Metal Goat
No ban on tourists in Amsterdam marijuana cafes

Dutch government ditches 'weed pass' plan that effectively would have barred tourists.

AMSTERDAM — The incoming Dutch government has ditched plans for a national "weed pass" that would have been available only to residents and that would have effectively banned tourists from Amsterdam's marijuana cafes.

However, under a provisional governing pact unveiled this week, cities can bar foreigners from weed shops if they choose.

The pact says that it wants only Dutch residents to have access to marijuana cafes, but leaves enforcement up to cities. Amsterdam opposes a ban, which would hurt tourism.

Some cafe owners said Tuesday that they are satisfied Dutch weed policy will remain unchanged, while others criticized the lack of clarity.

Marijuana trafficking is technically illegal in the Netherlands, but people can't be prosecuted for possession of small amounts and the drug is sold openly in designated "coffee shops."

SOURCE

Great news!

I was a bit concerned about this because I have been to Amsterdam twice and I do like the way they do things there. It's a grey area (also the name of a coffeeshop) but at least they are doing something to end the prohibition madness. I'm glad those that want to stop this have not succeeded so easily...it gives me some hope.

They have been talking about this for years so hopefully this is the end of it. It's not the best system; but it is better than everywhere else.

Reactions: muir
It is my opinion that people should be free to do whatever they want, however it is also my opinion that smoking marijuana is stupid. People should be free to do stupid things if they so desire.

Marijuana causes amotivational syndrome. It is known.

Not that amotivational syndrome is that bad.

I'm reluctant to do anything while high in an environment that legally and morally opposes what I do. With that said, I think motivation under the influence may be bound by circumstance. I think marijuana promotes certain types of productive activity, notably activity requiring creativity and non-linear thinking. There are many variables of how one becomes to "know" that marijuana impedes motivation. I would imagine how selectively one may have collected evidence to support this conclusion.

I personally disagree because I've cleaned my apartment several times in meticulous detail under the influence, and have done many other things I would otherwise considered the task grudgingly or too arduous to carry out if I'd been sober.

Reactions: barbad0s
I am maybe glad to hear this. Verdict's still out, for me personally. Ye celebrate if ye so wishes.

I wonder why no one (that I've heard) speaks to the impact of SMOKING weed. Yeah, not the weed itself, not the laws surrounding it, not the hippie state, but what it means to smoke a product and how that affects the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Does it not, given that there is practically no discussion about it?

Marijuana augments an 'absorptive' cognitive existence which focuses on appreciation for the present and absorption of surroundings. By augmenting this 'absorptive' cognitive existence it aids the re-balance between the 'absorptive' cognitive style and the 'achieving, active, doer' cognitive mode that is so commonly associated with and encouraged by the post-industrial age. If this is what you mean by the term "amotivational syndrome" then I certainly agree. And as a matter of fact, I am high whilst typing this. I bid you good riddance, sir.

I can sympathise with the dutch a bit...when i was there the drunk and rowdy people were all Brits and North Americans

I like the dutch attitude to marijuana that as long as you do it behind closed doors and keep it away from old and young people then its all cool. Do it but be respectful sort of thing.....problem is that all the visitors coming from other countries where marijuana is currently prohibited all go a bit crazy when they hit a town where sex and drugs are legally tolerated and can't seem to behave respectfully so they ruin it for the locals. The dutch end up having to deal with all the released repression of visitors from other countries that haven't adopted such a mature attitude towards drugs

However tourism is a double edged sword as it does bring in money

Concerning health issues with marijuana i think that some of the new strains of skunk are a bit too strong and maybe the human brain isn't supposed to be dosed with that much THC all the time

But it doesn't need to be smoked with tobacco it can also be smoked with natural herb mixes that don't have the nicotine and other nasties of cigarettes. Vapourisors are probably the healthiest way to take it

Normal marijuana actually fits into the receptors of our brain and its clear to me that it's meant to be a tool for us to work with if used responsibly.

I think that psychadelics act as an amplifier. So if someone is coming from a society that is pretty unbalanced and that person is themselves not feeling particularly balanced (possibly on account of coming from a messed up culture!) then there may be a chance that the drug can enhance negative stuff that is lurking in the psyche

This might be good thing if the person is then able to work through that stuff but if not then it could lead to mental health issues

So do we blame the amplifying drugs (that can be used to amplify all sorts of cool stuff as well) or do we ignore what the lying politicians tell us and realise that what is really wrong is their messed up system?

Professor David Nutt has done research on different drugs and how they affect society. He used to be the governments cheif drugs advisor until he released the findings of his research which said that alcohol wa sby far the most dangerous drug in our society and that certain drugs should probably be legalised such as marijuana:

Here's a link to a BBC newspaper article which also has a clip of him discussing it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

Reactions: Cornerstone
This video is not really related to the topic, but it made me think of it none-the-less.

[video=youtube;tdeNUzkyx3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdeNUzkyx3w[/video]

Marijuana augments an 'absorptive' cognitive existence which focuses on appreciation for the present and absorption of surroundings. By augmenting this 'absorptive' cognitive existence it aids the re-balance between the 'absorptive' cognitive style and the 'achieving, active, doer' cognitive mode that is so commonly associated with and encouraged by the post-industrial age. If this is what you mean by the term "amotivational syndrome" then I certainly agree. And as a matter of fact, I am high whilst typing this. I bid you good riddance, sir.

I'm reluctant to do anything while high in an environment that legally and morally opposes what I do. With that said, I think motivation under the influence may be bound by circumstance. I think marijuana promotes certain types of productive activity, notably activity requiring creativity and non-linear thinking. There are many variables of how one becomes to "know" that marijuana impedes motivation. I would imagine how selectively one may have collected evidence to support this conclusion.

I personally disagree because I've cleaned my apartment several times in meticulous detail under the influence, and have done many other things I would otherwise considered the task grudgingly or too arduous to carry out if I'd been sober.

Pardons, I was being facetious. I am in health care and it made me laugh out loud a few years ago that "amotivational syndrome" is in the textbooks.

Me too! I find it often makes chores more pleasant.
I haven't smoke in some time, only because I've lost contact with suppliers over time. Some moved away, some quit, etc.
But to this day when faced with certain tasks, I often think of how much better it all would be with some smoke!

Reactions: muir
Living in Amsterdam, I know most people here hated the ban. It was ridiculous. You would have to have a pass in order to smoke weed? And tourists banned? Who thought of this? Probably one of our grey-haired smuck politicians. I mean, it's basically sort of social discrimination. "Are you a tourist? Sorry you can't come in and we are not allowed to sell you weed."

By the way, I wonder how many dutch citizens would be in the cafes. Probably none, because they all smoke at home.

Reactions: Cornerstone
Living in Amsterdam, I know most people here hated the ban. It was ridiculous. You would have to have a pass in order to smoke weed? And tourists banned? Who thought of this? Probably one of our grey-haired smuck politicians. I mean, it's basically sort of social discrimination. "Are you a tourist? Sorry you can't come in and we are not allowed to sell you weed."

By the way, I wonder how many dutch citizens would be in the cafes. Probably none, because they all smoke at home.

Good point. But I mentioned that to you.

Whereabouts do you live in Amsterdam? I don't need an address but how far from the centre are you and how long does it take to get to the centre? What is it like living day-to-day there? Are you Dutch yourself?

Reply here or PM me if you can really help. I've been looking at a course in Amsterdam but the living there part is half drawing me in and half terrifying me! I do like the city but I've only been for a couple of days at a time so it's always been so overwhelming. I can't picture what day-to-day life would be like realistically.

Thanks...and welcome to the boards! :)

I am maybe glad to hear this. Verdict's still out, for me personally. Ye celebrate if ye so wishes.

I wonder why no one (that I've heard) speaks to the impact of SMOKING weed. Yeah, not the weed itself, not the laws surrounding it, not the hippie state, but what it means to smoke a product and how that affects the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Does it not, given that there is practically no discussion about it?

You can ingest marijuana. You can also vaporize it. There are healthy alternatives. Smoking is simply quicker and cost-effective given its illegality.

Smoking is bad for you. Not as bad as buses are for absentminded people or bad luck for the average russian roulette player, but still pretty bad. Smoking weed makes most people happy and sometimes smoking a cigarette will save a stupid person's life. Still given the possible/inevitable side effects, people will do it because television sucks and most folks are boring.