Ni values | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Ni values

But how do you know if you've arrived at your destination or reached a dead end? How do you know if your insight is right?

You just do. Intuition is not a conscious process; it does not rely on reason and cannot be empirically verified as there is no 'stuff' to break down. It's just understanding in the purest, holistic sense.

You see now why Ti and Ni cannot possibly work together without the Fe middle-man, yes? The person would go mad.

Inferior functions, baby.

Ni doms are not pure Ni users. If they were, they'd essentially be vegetables. Ni gleans something, and the other functions (specifically Fe and Se in INFJs dealing with the external world) throw that something back into the mix to see if it works.

Absolutely.

Functions do not work in isolation. No matter your type, your dominant and inferior function work together. The functions in between play supportive roles and are what help you bridge the gap between the two polarities.

Last edited:
I might have said understanding is a Ti value. What, if any, difference is there between understanding and truth? And what would you say Ti value is?

I really wasn't sure how to answer this at first and then the angle I wanted to approach this from came to me this evening. Ti and Ni users both value truth, knowledge, and understanding, but in different ways. It makes a bit tricky to draw the distinction because INFJs have Ti as a tertiary function. I think the largest difference is the emphasis on clarity. As a judging function, Ti above else seeks clarity in its understanding. For instance, as an INTP, you seem to want a very specific response in the questions you've asked so that you come to understand how everything comes together to form the larger picture you are building in your mind. Ni does not seek that sort of clarity . It can, but with Ti as its tertiary, it would become too exhausting to think like a Ti dominant for any long stretch of time. That is because their primary function is an intuitive perceiving function and it prefers to let information in to let it steep in the mind, to see what comes out of it. Whatever arises out of this is trusted because the process itself is valued, whether it be an image, a connection, idea, an insight, or something imagined. So I guess Ni values perceptions/beliefs first and understanding/truth second.

I am trying to assign values to each of the cognitive functions. For example, I would say Ti value is truth because that is the aim of its operations, to discover the truth of an idea or proposition. Te is efficiency, Si comfort and security, Se sensory experience, Fi authenticity, Fe harmony, and Ne freedom and possibilities. In this vein, what is Ni value to you?

Ni to me is self belief. The value it gives is insight, inner trust of intuition and ultimately courage to believe what Ni gives insight to. Ni works as a catalyst but not as a definitive mode that pushes people into their self trust. People will always have a choice to follow what their Ni is gathering for them or simply see it as a novelty of insight without purpose. Those who use their Ni insight and actualize it into their lives tend to understand it's true meaning.

Ti like internal directions scattered information.. Ni like a compass, deciphering information.. into meaning

Thing about Ni is that you can't teach it. It seems to be a function that just occurs and can't be reasoned through. So, I agree that insight is a good word to describe it. That's the case with introverted functions, you can't really explain the thinking of something that is internal not easily visible to external examination. Goes the same for Si, Ti, and Fi. That's why these are the hardest functions to understand. They're not dependent on external validation.

Ni value..good question. Maybe it depends on personal view as well as on some general characteristic.
For me Ni value would be Meaning. Not in terms of truth, but in terms of purpouse of something. When my Ni connects different dots and I see that famous Big picture, I see meaning of something: of things, of people's actions, of my actions, etc.