NaeturVindur

Cuddlemaster
Retired Staff
Nov 17, 2008
MBTI
iNfj
Enneagram
9w1
I have an Asus N90Sv, and I recently installed Ubuntu as a dual boot with Vista. I've had some rough spots so far, but gotten over most but one. Ubuntu doesn't seem to have the appropriate drivers for whatever kind of audio device I have (I think I have Realtek High Def, but I'm not entirely sure this is what you would be looking for, I'm not that tech savvy). It also doesn't seem to recognize this problem (I've run programs that are supposed to make sound, I have the volume up, and its not complaining). Can anyone help?

Lol...I would help, but I'm in worse shape. I've been trying for three days just to get the sucker to install (I ended up downloading an earlier version and it's working so far - if I get far enough into the audio downloads I'll let you know what I find out).

Linux audio is hell. I have an external USB sound card, and after many failed attempts to use ALSA, OSS, and PulseAudio, I've given up and returned to Vista.

My on-board audio was realtek too, and that worked before I got the external sound card, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. (Unfortunately I forget how I got it to work...)

Installing linux on a laptop is harder than the linux crew wants you to think. Have you posted this thread on the Ubuntu forums? They'd probably be able to help you more than us. Shai doesn't use Ubuntu.

If I remember correctly you told me you used another distro of linux :D Did you change? You told me not to even try Ubuntu but something else.

I have a computer for browsing and game playing (Vista)
I have a computer home network for doing most stuff on (Ubuntu)
I have a computer for planning, strategising and keeping sensitive information on (OpenBSD)

Occasionally I change the computer home network.

So are you saying that now you're suggesting I try Ubuntu again? :m179:

This doesn't really help much, but my experience with Ubuntu 9.04 has been sub-par for different reasons. If you have Realtek, your audio should be working unless it's using some weird revision of the chipset. My Aspire One has Realtek audio and it's always been detected, along with both of the desktops I've used it on.

I don't know how PulseAudio is now, but when it just came out with 8.04 it sucked hard. I'd get weird bugs all over the place, and often my audio would just quit working.

Go into the terminal and type "lspci" to see what devices Linux is detecting. Your audio device should be somewhere in there. This won't fix it but it should give you something to work with.

:p You'd definitely help me if I did. I know how to get you to help me. Just offer something in return than it turns into business and not pleasure. ... maybe a little pleasure?

Code:
ben@ubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 671MX
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS968 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 01)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 02)
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SATA Controller / IDE mode (rev 03)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:0f.0 Audio device: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Azalia Audio Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0652 (rev a1)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
helpful?

00:0f.0 Audio device: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Azalia Audio Controller

This is what you want, but I have no idea on how to get it working. Google it or go to Ubuntu's forums and see if they can help.

Also, go into the terminal and type lsmod so we can see what kernel modules are running and what devices they are connected too.

so...um...uh...I'm bumping this thread because I'm having Ubuntu problems, again. First, Vista was seriously degrading (no idea why), so the hard drive got formatted, and Ubuntu 9.04 got installed. after getting the updates, it started crashing several times. anyone had this problem/ think they can help? The thread on Ubuntuforums about this is here.