Negative Thinking Not All that Bad | INFJ Forum

Negative Thinking Not All that Bad

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by SPQR, Jul 31, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by SPQR
  1. SPQR

SPQR Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    The link to the study mentioned in the article is broken, but I managed to find it: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/media/releases/2009/wood.cfm

It's an interesting idea. The tl;dr version of it is that honesty is the best policy for happiness, and that bs just makes everything worse. What are your thoughts on the article?

enfp can be shy likes this.
  2. NeverAmI

NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Ok, so the idea here was that blind positiveness is not that healthy. I agree with that. Over-idealizing anything (including honesty) can be really hindering.

Both constructive criticism and hopeful optimism are necessary, they balance one another. Any person exclusively clinging to one or the other will have problems, no doubt.

Maybe some only think they are temporarily clinging to the blind optimism, because there is already so much negativity and constructive criticism in their lives, and it eventually becomes a crutch for them.

I personally think being self aware is never a bad thing, as long as it is unbiased; both extreme self-consciousness and blind optimism are, of course, completely biased.

Nice find!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    know this. Yeah, at one point i thought self affirmations would work but they really don't. Similar to the idea of compliments. Supposedly, if you get a lot of compliments, your self esteem improves. Instead, i usually become more self conscious, more self involved, or develop an expanded ego. So, receiving positive affirmations of self worth is not always effective.

Yep.

I have to say, i feel much more in control and comfortable when i'm honest with myself while not being too negative. you can acknowledge weaknesses and build on strengths without positive affirmations focused on "feeling good about myself". It's never felt comfortable, natural, or realistic to think "great and wonderful things". Instead, it just feels weird - it really does. And it isn't necessary. I think that's why the CBT therapy never really worked for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 Gaze, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. KazeCraven

KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    I think the key here is that blatantly false claims are counter-productive. Instead of focusing on trying to overturn the negative thoughts, which are often somewhat accurate, I think focusing on what is good about oneself will boost self-esteem.

Also, it's never too late to build a new history.

Gaze likes this.
  5. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Agreed. I think to some parts, we can notice such weirdness contained within a blatantly ridiculous compliment and...went on a "that's not true. Oh shit. That's not true AT ALL."

That depends. I don't think most of the words said for this is hopeful optimism at all. It's mostly.... ignorant saccharine statements. The same as how "you're so ugly" is not a constructive criticism. Hopeful optimism is most advice said in this forum (the realm of NFs). Constructive criticism is...well, the realm of NTs.

I got a personal stereotype that most of the self-help books in this vein contained certain ignorant, carefree attitude towards themselves and the world that... while it can be useful, in long term it'd stunt growth. >_>; I'd rather have a realistic assessment about myself.... Which's why I preferred 'seeing things from the other point of view' rather than this kind of positive self-help statements.

Agreed. I'd rather support myself with, "You can grow out of it" rather than "You aren't it!"
    Rather than "I'm a loveable person" or "I will succeed", I'd rather pick "I can and will be a loveable person" and "I am going to succeed."

6. klutzo

klutzo Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Thanks so much for posting this. It confirms how I feel. I wish I had the guts to send it to my minister. It explains more eloquently than I could why I haven't been attending. Our family belongs to one of those churches where you must put a positive slant on absolutely everything. If you don't, then the negative results are your own fault. I think "Idealism increases with one's distance from the problem". This study made me feel a lot better.....affirmations I don't believe do not.

klutzo

7. Wyote

Wyote Xenoi
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    Seems accurate to me. Your thread title is misleading though.

8. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Well put. Because then we're focusing on striving to achieve a goal rather than believing something which may seem false or inauthentic to our psyche/sense of self.