Shaqie

The Grandmaster in Disguise
Jul 9, 2012
Somewhere out there
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Something?
Do we develop our this rare index, or are we born with it?

Please share your views on this question.

I would imagine it is innate and nourished through one's lifetime.

Type appears to be consistent, but manifests differently according to one's functional development. For example, an INFJ in mental health therapy would rely on a strong Fe-Ti bond to notice and understand everything that's going on with hir patients (Fe) before properly condensing it into a specific disorder (Ti). This differs from, say, an accomplished INFJ martial artist, who would display more Se in responding fluidly to hir surroundings.

I think it's nature, since being raised by an ESTJ and a (presumed) ISFP is not conducive to making someone an INFJ, although I think my Se is even weaker than that of most of us, since, possibly as a reaction to a family of practical people who live in the present, I have a nearly God-given ability to space out and think about something I recently read or my plans for the future. I can think of only one or two N's in my entire family, though, so if it is nature, I don't think it's genetic.

Last edited:
I think I've always felt the same. Even if someone pressured. To be a certain way, I would become unhappy and revert back to my original self; much to the dismay and astonishment of my peers. It could have been I was simply stubborn.

Mental notes based on observation helped me learn who people were and how to interact with them. I noticed behavioral traits, facial expressions, dialogue, and started to differentiate between lies and half truths. However, my intuition about people didn't fully develop until high school. That is when I began to "tune in" to the emotions of people around me.

I'm sure other INFJs have had different experiences depending on their own maturity, cognitive developments, and outside influences. I felt like I was forced to understand people better partly because of my own personal experience which stemmed from difficulties with my health, and having a somewhat unsupportive home environment along with an absent father.

I do believe that nurture can be impactful in anyone's life; whether it be good or bad. Maybe it will manifest itself in such a way that it toughens you up, or weakens you.

Say if someone were part of an abusive relationship during their childhood. They may grow up to despise the world. Those who had too many things as a kid and were spoiled may become selfish.

That said, I don't believe nurture dictates nature. I suppose I believe everyone is born with a set personality, but nurture, or lack there of, decides which way that personality will go. If that makes sense.

Reactions: Blackmountainside