Mr. Rogers was an evil man... | INFJ Forum

Mr. Rogers was an evil man...

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
The wonderful people at Fox have decided that they need to finally stand up to this evil bastard who ruined an entire generation.

[YOUTUBE]29lmR_357rA[/YOUTUBE]

Fox says "You're a piece of shit until you prove you aren't!"

They're trying to blame Mr. Rogers for how entitled everyone feels? What morons.

Wow, seriously Mr. Rogers wasn't the problem. Damn fox news.

Now I don't disagree there are issues with telling everyone their special, but still come on. That man did a ton for kids. Seriously fox you have some balls.

It had nothing to do with Mr Rogers, clearly it was all the work of those bleeding heart lefties that stopped us from smacking our disobedient children.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Odd, the kids I went to school with indirectly suggested that Fox News corrupted a generation as well. I wonder who did/is doing more damage? Mr. Rogers or Fox News?

Really, I'm getting bored with stories like this. First, people blamed music for the way their kids turn out (for example, when the media tried to blame Marylyn Manson for Columbine), then they blamed cartoons, then video games, and now Mr. Rogers. Care Bears, watch out; you're next!*

*Note: I'm sure I missed a lot of other things people have blamed for the things kids do, but those were the ones that I always heard about.

When I was a small child I had nightmares about the his puppet friends.

Fox News has a way of exaggerating the stories and purifying them of nuance so they're easy for simple-minded viewers to digest and repeat.

That said, I think the idea is worth exploring. Here is an article on the study. While I doubt Mr. Rogers had anywhere near the influence that is being suggested, the sentiment that he purportedly planted in generations of kids is not a helpful one, except for those who were suffering from major detriment of esteem-boosting in real-life interactions. As Pixar aptly put it, calling everyone special is just another way of saying that nobody is.

Fox News has a way of exaggerating the stories and purifying them of nuance so they're easy for simple-minded viewers to digest and repeat.

That said, I think the idea is worth exploring. Here is an article on the study. While I doubt Mr. Rogers had anywhere near the influence that is being suggested, the sentiment that he purportedly planted in generations of kids is not a helpful one, except for those who were suffering from major detriment of esteem-boosting in real-life interactions. As Pixar aptly put it, calling everyone special is just another way of saying that nobody is.

To quote from Mr. Roger's parenting book...

"In fact, one of the best feelings in the world is being proud of what you've learned after you've worked hard to learn it. If we can help children think of hard work as a different kind of fun, they're more likely to find the energies to keep on working and trying and discovering the joy in accomplishing something that took great effort."

And Mr. Roger's take on what he meant by his sign off saying...

"This is what I give. I give an expression of care every day to each child, to help him realize that he is unique. I end each program by saying, 'You've made this day a special day by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you."

In other words, "To thine own self be true" was the message.

And being unique isn't special because we all are unique individuals, but celebrating our uniqueness in what we do everyday is what makes people special. That was the message Pixar was trying to purport with The Incredibles.

Last edited:
I never watched Mr. Rogers, so when it comes to the question whether he actually did push the "you're all special" mantra, I'll defer to anyone familiar with the show.

But like I said, there is merit to discussing the problem, even though Rogers was not the cause.

I never watched Mr. Rogers, so when it comes to the question whether he actually did push the "you're all special" mantra, I'll defer to anyone familiar with the show.

But like I said, there is merit to discussing the problem, even though Rogers was not the cause.

What problem? You mean this problem?

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."
Damn entitled youth! They love luxury and would rather spend their time chatting and being disrespectful rather than doing something productive! It's all about what is in it for them and not what is best for society!

Yeah, I'm sure it was just as big a deal when Socrates said it 2400 years ago.

Last edited:
Mr. Rogers? They're going after him?

Seriously, that's not right.

If anything has given children a sense of entitlement, I would blame the schools. You know, those programs where they say "everyone is a winner," and all of that? Fudging grades to help the dumb kids move to the next grade? I would also blame the parents... there was a popular philosophy regarding providing the "best" for your children, and making sure they never knew what it was to work or want for something.

Those things bred a greater sense of entitlement than any television program could have.

Mr. Rogers message was only meant to tell you that whether you're a factory worker or a millionare, what you do matters. You as a person matter. It seemed to me that it was more about accepting your place in life, and realizing that everyone has value... rather than saying you're entitled to ascend to the top, or get things for free.

Most of the kids like that probably didn't watch Mr. Rogers, they probably watched cartoons and movies of kids misbehaving and getting away with it due to special powers. Just think about it psychologically and sociologically, that makes far more sense.

Last edited:
And Mr. Roger's take on what he meant by his sign off saying...

"This is what I give. I give an expression of care every day to each child, to help him realize that he is unique. I end each program by saying, 'You've made this day a special day by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you."

Yes, Jeffery Dahmer was kind of unique.

Who brought up luxury and chatter? This is about narcissism and inflated entitlement.

Different words for the same thing.

If you ask different people then you get completely different perspectives of this generation.

Here we are the optimistic crusaders of change and social justice.
http://www.gen-we.com/

Here we are the narcissistic, entitled, and depressed losers.
http://www.generationme.org/

Not to mention there are distinct differences between Generation X and Generation Y.

http://wfnetwork.bc.edu/pdfs/GXGY.pdf

But statistically speaking, Gen X in 2002 was working more hours than their same age counterparts did back in the 70s. Gen Y is still mostly in college, but has been working the same number of hours as their same age counterparts did in the 70s.

If you ask me, we have something to be a little pissed about. Statistically speaking, we as a generation are actually working more than our parents did when they were our age, but we are getting called "entitled".

It may not Mr. Rogers fault. But George Carlin says it well.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4&feature=related"]YouTube- George Carlin -Child Worship[/ame]
Our kids are no longer used to be losers. We are a generation of people who can't lose.

Also ,at least some (not all), really don't care enough about helping others, it's all about what I can do for myself instead of what I can do to help others to make society better

Reactions: 54192&#cmy
Hm, so it comes down to the self esteem movement and its effect on children?

Interesting.

Yes, I think I can agree, but I would say that technology has taken over where the self esteem movement let off. MySpace, youtube, Facebook, imageboards even this forum, are all places young people go to seek attention and promote themselves.

Last edited:
:( I loved Mr. Rogers. Though I could never figure out the sweater thing...

And leave it to Fox and Friends to use a children's TV show as a scapegoat for a whole generation's problems. I'm sure my peers are spoiled and entitled because some producer wanted to encourage self-esteem... NOT because Americans in general are driven by greed and self-centeredness.

Somewhere, buried beneath all the shit, these people might actually have something to say about the importance of instilling a strong work ethic in your child--but I just can't take these people seriously.

Reactions: christmas