Motherhood and Fatherhood | INFJ Forum

Motherhood and Fatherhood

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What do these words mean to you . . .

I had this discussion the other day with someone. When it comes to parenting, one parent tends more often than not to take a nurturing/supporting type role and the other takes a disciplining/directive type role. So in a way, I view motherhood and fatherhood to be a good cop/bad cop situation where parents can take opposing approaches to raising children by giving them the support they need while also holding them accountable to the rules and structure of the home. Er...does that many any sense?

Reactions: Gaze
Well I dunno since that is only how I see it. How do you see it? Maybe if I hear more views I'll get a better idea.

Wow my mind instantly flips back through the the best memories of my life, both my own mom and dad, and being pregant with my second while watching disney movies with my first, even dressing up my first grand daughter in a vintage dress and taking snapshots of her on my daughter's lap. Somewhere in storage is a Precious Moments plate my mother in law gave me that says, "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world."

Having kids is not easy. It is certainly not always "a joy." But if you want to experience the depth of life, if you really REALLY want to suck the marrow out of life, marry and have kids.

Reactions: Bird
Love and nurture. =)

Having kids is not easy. It is certainly not always "a joy." But if you want to experience the depth of life, if you really REALLY want to suck the marrow out of life, marry and have kids.

That is a really good way to put it... And why my husband and I plan to have kids. We both feel the need to pass on a loving household (we were both super fortunate to have wonderful childhoods) to another generation and and feel that we'd be missing a vital part of the circle of life if we didn't.

motherhood- nurturing and caring
fatherhood- guiding, providing an example

>.>

Traditionally,

motherhood - supportive, caring, nurturing, encouraging - passivity, background, drive, sacrifice, emotionally expressive
fatherhood - structured, discipline, dominant, in control/in charge, decision maker, force of reason, reserved

Last edited:
Personally

Restlessness

Traditionally,

motherhood - supportive, caring, nurturing, encouraging - passivity, background, drive, sacrifice, emotionally expressive
fatherhood - structured, discipline, dominant, in control/in charge, decision maker, force of reason, reserved

I would argue that both are both.

people who are dedicated to making their children's lives fulfilling = motherhood and fatherhood

Motherhood + Fatherhood = the opportunity to be a Child all over again. :D

Exhausting, fulfilling, dedication, nurture, insight, warmth, availability. For both words.

Oddly, my own parents didn't even factor into the equation. :p

What do these words mean to you . . .

They are manifestations of the hardest, yet most rewarding things my wife and I have done in life, bar none. Our kids were so cute when they were young! Where did it all go? Now they're tough guys.

(We'll be overseas for the next ten days, so talk to y'all later)

Reactions: Sriracha
I don't know... I looked after my mother and feared my father... but I know that I should never be a parent.